coaching changes/restructuring

There was a meeting that took place the week after the Holiday Bowl and there are very clear expectations and consequences laid out. There is a very direct and achievable plan in place. Coaches can either get with it or go somewhere else.

That meeting happened after last year's Holiday Bowl too, though. Watson has known for over a year that he has to fully get on board or find another gig. Last year Watson was basically given the choice of finding a new home or embracing the offensive style Bo wants. It boiled down to a question of how badly Watson wanted a job. He looked around, but of course he stayed, because a paycheck is a nice thing to have.

Has he fully embraced Bo's desired offense? Hard to say. Doesn't seem so from the cheap seats, but that's rank speculation on my part. I was pretty surprised to see Wats stick around for the 2010 season after what I heard last year, and I'm even more surprised that he's here right now.

I think more was made of it last year than it really was. It was more of a directive of we need to move this direction fast and here are the people you will meet with to do it and learn the principles. Wats dabbled a little with other jobs but did commit to learning. I just don't think he feels that offense gives you as much diversity with your players. He thinks his offense you can build around passing if you have a drop back passer, around a running game if you have a stud RB, etc. The problem is . . that offense is set to recruit to the best possible player on the board and you end up with a hodgepodge of players. Some geared toward the run, others passing, etc. That's not really a good idea at the college level when your dealing with an unknown commodity (will your players pan out?)Its also why it always takes him 4-5 games to figure out what they have each year. There just isn't any continuity or identity if you will. That's why Bo wants a direction for the offense be it right or wrong. You can recruit guys based on talents that match your offense (or defense)and occasionally you'll get that special player that allows you to diversify a bit more (think Vince Young or Mike Vick).

I will say Wats tried a hell of a lot harder than Cotton. They obviously talked to lots of coaches in the off season. While I heard he didn't always ask a lot of scheme questions that maybe an OC should have asked he did really try hard when Milt was brought in. He even when so far as to schedule follow up sessions for him and Cotton with Milt. Cotton of course didn't show for those. Its hard to fully commit when your O-line coach isn't that interested in trying to learn the same things you do. No O-line and you're dead in the water.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to effectively scheme an offense when your O Line is the weakest link in your system. As surprised as I am about Wats still being here, I'm shocked that Barney is still in charge of the Line. It is obvious that his unit has been the weakest part of this entire team for the last two years. That cannot continue, especially in the Big 10 where trench battles are the focus. We are going to get ripped in conference play if we let our Line continue like they've been.

There was a meeting that took place the week after the Holiday Bowl and there are very clear expectations and consequences laid out. There is a very direct and achievable plan in place. Coaches can either get with it or go somewhere else.

There were/are only two other coaches on notice. Watson is not tied to Gilmore in anyway. It is known that if Wats became head coach he would try to take Gilmore with him (as well as Ganz) but it doesn't work the other way around with guys leaving. Gilmore is actually very highly thought of as a recruiting coordinator. If he leaves its because he wants to or has a better opportunity.

Which 2 coahces are on notice? I'm assuming it's between Watson, Gilmore, and Cotton.

I'm under the impression Gilmore is pretty safe. Its pretty rare I hear any negatives about him from the department (even when his guys are dropping balls) From the outside looking in I'm not sure if I personally agree with that. I think its felt hes a good RC and its hard to argue that with the exception that he's kind of gotten blindsided by kickers. He did recommend Adi red shirting last year and Bo over ruled thinking we had our kicker nailed down. (I look for a walk on guy to fill this need in this year's class. Jamrog is beating the bushes now.) He has more positives than negatives when coaching and towing the party line. He's had chances to go places and has turned them down. I think his core beliefs are right along with Bo, TO, Ron Brown, etc.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to effectively scheme an offense when your O Line is the weakest link in your system. As surprised as I am about Wats still being here, I'm shocked that Barney is still in charge of the Line. It is obvious that his unit has been the weakest part of this entire team for the last two years. That cannot continue, especially in the Big 10 where trench battles are the focus. We are going to get ripped in conference play if we let our Line continue like they've been.

I heard some talk about him possibly getting reassigned into the athletic department as he does a great job with the administrative tasks, but all that was right after the bowl game. I haven't heard much about that in the last couple weeks and it wasn't from anyone close to Bo so I don't know how true that was. It could have been wishful thinking.

As far as the OP goes...

We know it's you, Gilmore. You can quit pretending. I personally think it's cool you acknowledge you suck as a WR coach and still want to work at NU. Good luck finding that desk job.

:wtf

bournehusker has a total of 2 posts thus far - both going out of their way to mention Gilmore and that he's worthless. dudeguyy just forgot the :sarcasm sign.

Gilmore being recruiting coordinator would probably still take up one of the assistant slots we are allotted, so that is out. Actually, making him recruiting coordinator regardless of anything else is probably not a great move for us. It's one aspect that would have me excited about Frost.

You still want to keep the coaching staff intact zoogies? I know I said I wanted Watson, Gilmore, and Cotton gone...but the more I think about it the more I feel it is on Bo. As a supervisor, you have to have expectations from the people under you and they need to know these expectations. If they can't do it, then you find someone who will.

Basically saying I agree with you and Bo just needs to lay down some expectations and consequences.

I never wanted to keep the staff intact and would have preferred Cotton and Gilmore left. I'm not sure how tied Gilmore and Watson are. If the options are keep Watson and Gilmore, or keep neither, I'd keep neither. I have a high opinion of Watson, but given Bo's direction of the offense I think it's best for both to part ways. I still find it odd that arbitrary "vision" is setting down these kind of restrictions/requirements for an offensive coordinator's scheme. But it isn't too much to get worked up about going forward, I guess. I just don't have much confidence in Bo's vision about offense yet, even though ultimately you like this out of a head coach. I like Muschamp's approach in getting his OC, but we'll see how this plays out!

I think given Bo has this vision, he should get all the guys he needs to run it. I'd like handing the reigns to a single guy who could show promise at OC, like some of the names tossed out recently (can't remember anyone other than Chad Morris at the moment though), but it seems like that isn't happening...which is less than promising but it could work out! Offseason excitement doesn't make a program, after all.

I see...sorry if you already explained that in some other thread (I stopped even looking at the coaching change threads, until I opened this one for some reason). I know you like Watson and I feel like he is put in an unwinnable situation somewhat. I always had the same issues with him like redzone efficiency, playcalling in certain situations (going away from what was working), lack of player progression, etc. ]

Agreed on the bolded part. That is going to be one crazy good team I think.

I still think the whole thing is a work in progress and we just need patience as fans. If we keep the staff together for a long time then we could have something pretty special again. Even with T.O. we had some heart breakers, but we ended up with quite a finish...could be the same thing is all I am saying I guess.

While no doubt it's not all SW, Barney or Gilmore's fault it's glaringly obvious we have BIG problems on that side of the ball. For two years now.

I just can't hack the idea that Bo thinks "So what? Maybe somehow they'll all just get better.....". Just because nobody will hire SW should not mean we keep him. We need a good OC first and foremost and then the position coachs that fit with his scheme. If it's not Gilmore or Cotton so be it.

I still believe Bo makes the call. There's no other way.

The fact I have been stomped on for voicing my opinion on gilmore surprises me. Perhaps its because I have only 2 posts rather than 3000. Or....I started a new screen name after many years of providing information and knowledge and have only had time to post 3 times. Either way fact is our wrs are not getting better skill wise. Strength and speed and vertical jump is not gilmores job. Catching and route running however is. Back to husker football...I'm bored with high school popularity contests on husker board.

The fact I have been stomped on for voicing my opinion on gilmore surprises me. Perhaps its because I have only 2 posts rather than 3000. Or....I started a new screen name after many years of providing information and knowledge and have only had time to post 3 times. Either way fact is our wrs are not getting better skill wise. Strength and speed and vertical jump is not gilmores job. Catching and route running however is. Back to husker football...I'm bored with high school popularity contests on husker board.

I think people are just getting fed up that like 75% of the topics being started are about coaching changes/fire Shawn Watson.