Big Ten Network

Hujan

What everyone else has said--you have to pony up extra to get the Big 10 network out of footprint on Dish. DirecTV has it available for everyone on the same tier.

Also, if you have Verizon FiOS in your area, the Big 10 Network is available if you procure their secondary sports package. That includes Fox Soccer (great for Premier League soccer), YES Network (Yankees/Mets/Arsenal soccer), NFL Network, MLB Network (better coverage than ESPN IMO), NBA Network, and NHL Network (great just based off of their live broadcast of Hockey Night in Canada alone).

Plus, having a 30/30Mbps connection isn't anything to sluff off, either. :)

Man, I am envious. I HATE Comcast for the cable connection, but my only other option is Qwest DSL. Stupid monopolies. Please, Verizon, please, bring FiOS to Denver.

I had Dish network in Washington state. All I had was problems with them and their customer service is the worst. Had Direct tv for the last 5 years and only had one screw up on the Colorado game for ppv. I missed the kick off, but the operator noticed the mistake quickly and refunded me the money. Only missed maybe 2 minutes of the game.

I highly recommend Dtv. I missed more then 2 weeks of tv on dish because of the run around they gave me ANC refused to comp it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Really appreciate the information. Looks like it is an option either way. Now the question is whether to stay with Dish Network or switch to Direct TV. I think I might actually save a little money with Direct TV ($36.99 a month for first 12 months versus $47.99 a month for first 12 months) and would probably get more channels. Question is how much the cancellation fee is for Direct TV (it is $17.95 per month for remaining months with Dish Network).

Surprised to hear you prefer Direct TV customer service to Dish Network, okaive. I had just the opposite experience. In fact, the last Dish Network guy I talked to was a Sooner fan and expressed his remorse that we were leaving the Big XII. We had a good chat for a few minutes. The Direct TV lady I talked to was super pushy, incredibly hard to understand, and all around unpleasant. Really turned me off to the company.

Thanks again for all the help, guys. I'll keep you all posted on what I end up doing. Mods, thanks for letting this thread live.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Really appreciate the information. Looks like it is an option either way. Now the question is whether to stay with Dish Network or switch to Direct TV. I think I might actually save a little money with Direct TV ($36.99 a month for first 12 months versus $47.99 a month for first 12 months) and would probably get more channels. Question is how much the cancellation fee is for Direct TV (it is $17.95 per month for remaining months with Dish Network).

If you signed a contract to be with Dish Network for a minimum amount of time, most new subscribers have a minimum service time (normally 2 or 3 years), you'll have to pay an early termination fee to get out of your Dish Network subscription. Just pony up the $7.00 a month for the sports pack.

What everyone else has said--you have to pony up extra to get the Big 10 network out of footprint on Dish. DirecTV has it available for everyone on the same tier.

Also, if you have Verizon FiOS in your area, the Big 10 Network is available if you procure their secondary sports package. That includes Fox Soccer (great for Premier League soccer), YES Network (Yankees/Mets/Arsenal soccer), NFL Network, MLB Network (better coverage than ESPN IMO), NBA Network, and NHL Network (great just based off of their live broadcast of Hockey Night in Canada alone).

Plus, having a 30/30Mbps connection isn't anything to sluff off, either. :)

Man, I am envious. I HATE Comcast for the cable connection, but my only other option is Qwest DSL. Stupid monopolies. Please, Verizon, please, bring FiOS to Denver.

Yup--FiOS is good. Only gripes I have is that they're slow to add new HD channels (Verizon is out of bandwidth to do so until they convert their signal broadcasting method--they currently do not compress HD channels), their DNS servers are slow, and their DVRs are crap.

Fortunately, they're upgrading the DVRs and converting to MP4 compression, so two of the three will fix themselves shortly.

If you signed a contract to be with Dish Network for a minimum amount of time, most new subscribers have a minimum service time (normally 2 or 3 years), you'll have to pay an early termination fee to get out of your Dish Network subscription. Just pony up the $7.00 a month for the sports pack.

Not so fast, my friend. First, I believe I have a 30-day window to cancel without paying the early-termination fee, which has not yet expired. Second, since I expressly stated that access to the Big Ten Network was a material condition of the contract---indeed, it was the POINT of my subscription---a failure of Dish Network to provide that access would constitute a breach. If they wouldn't cancel me on those ground alone (and their customer service person indicated they would) then I would happily go to small-claims court.

Having said all that, since it appears I actually should be able to get the Big Ten Network with Dish, I will most likely stick with Dish and just change up my subscription as you say. (I do still find it odd, though, that the Dish Network rep I spoke to said I couldn't get the BTN in San Diego even with the Multi-Sport Package.)

I have to imagine that the Network will become available via basic cable package at some point in time. As far as i know it is in all the Big Ten states, just takes some time for the lawyers to work it all out. In Columbus you couldn't watch a Network game of tOSU the first season unless you went to a bar that had the package, but the Big Ten lawyers fixed that. So in summary, don't worry it will become part of the basic cable package.

Second, since I expressly stated that access to the Big Ten Network was a material condition of the contract---indeed, it was the POINT of my subscription---a failure of Dish Network to provide that access would constitute a breach.

I've been happy /w Dish but I agree that the way in which they imply regional sports networks are included, with no mention of regional limitations is misleading.

I have to imagine that the Network will become available via basic cable package at some point in time. As far as i know it is in all the Big Ten states, just takes some time for the lawyers to work it all out. In Columbus you couldn't watch a Network game of tOSU the first season unless you went to a bar that had the package, but the Big Ten lawyers fixed that. So in summary, don't worry it will become part of the basic cable package.

It's available on cable in Lincoln, it's just on the digital tier, so you have to pay more. Are you saying yours is on the regular schmegular channels? I'd like to see that in Nebraska.

It's available on cable in Lincoln, it's just on the digital tier, so you have to pay more. Are you saying yours is on the regular schmegular channels? I'd like to see that in Nebraska.

Correct. I believe in all the current Big Ten states its part of the basic (schmegular channels) cable package. At least in Ohio it is, and I think the others.

Second, since I expressly stated that access to the Big Ten Network was a material condition of the contract---indeed, it was the POINT of my subscription---a failure of Dish Network to provide that access would constitute a breach.

I've been happy /w Dish but I agree that the way in which they imply regional sports networks are included, with no mention of regional limitations is misleading.

Very. And this attorney was not pleased.