Freshmen QB comparison

cb1954

I’m a big fan of T-Magic, but if you only look at these stats it's a bit misleading. A lot of Martinez’ stats came early in the schedule. Frazier and Crouch didn’t take over full time until well into the conference schedule. Mike Grant started ahead of Frazier the first few games. And Crouch traded off with Bobby Newcomb for over half the year. Until Newcomb got hurt, I think.

Still, the stats Martinez put up this year are pretty impressive for a frosh QB. His highlight reel is nothing short of incredible.

Bingo was his name-o. Conference schedule T-Magic compared to conference schedule Frazier or Crouch = not as impressive. When you take out the K State game in which Taylor ran up gaudy numbers (+200 rushing yards, 4 TDs)against the worst defense in college football, the comparison would be even worse.

It's not helpful to have 9 of 12 total TDs against a few, mediocre opponents, and then spread out a few TDs in the 10 or so other, quality opponents we play. Good for the season stat line, not as helpful for the win-loss column.

He was injured. Neither Crouch nor Frazier were injured.

I’m a big fan of T-Magic, but if you only look at these stats it's a bit misleading. A lot of Martinez’ stats came early in the schedule. Frazier and Crouch didn’t take over full time until well into the conference schedule. Mike Grant started ahead of Frazier the first few games. And Crouch traded off with Bobby Newcomb for over half the year. Until Newcomb got hurt, I think.

Still, the stats Martinez put up this year are pretty impressive for a frosh QB. His highlight reel is nothing short of incredible.

Bingo was his name-o. Conference schedule T-Magic compared to conference schedule Frazier or Crouch = not as impressive. When you take out the K State game in which Taylor ran up gaudy numbers (+200 rushing yards, 4 TDs)against the worst defense in college football, the comparison would be even worse.

It's not helpful to have 9 of 12 total TDs against a few, mediocre opponents, and then spread out a few TDs in the 10 or so other, quality opponents we play. Good for the season stat line, not as helpful for the win-loss column.

He was injured. Neither Crouch nor Frazier were injured.

Good point.

my problem with t-mart is that he is not a qb. he is a running back who throws, and he would not even be good at running if it were not for the threat of him throwing it. i say he is not a qb because he has no footwork, no pocket presence, and he takes unnecessary sacks that are drive killers. hopefully he improves, but i am not going to hold my breath.

• Fire 3

I realize T-magic isn't going to be the next Mike Vick necessarily but, I am going to laugh my Arse off in a few months when all the trash talkers are buying his jersey and jumping back on the t-wagon. The kid did some great things and some bad things. I'm sure he will concentrate on passing mostly on offseason and get a little better. Then the year after work on controlling the game and reading defenses. Then we will all be saying Frazier who? (over exaggeration) He didn't look any more lost than Lee did last year. Give the kid some time he will at the least be a good QB. Like I said Maybe not Hypeman trophy winner but good.

• Fire 2

While we're talking about freshman...

I know size isn't a huge thing for our style of QB at the moment, but Martinez is NOT 6'1" as listed. I saw Carnes today and he is at least 6'1". He looks thicker than when he got here too. I realize it's a little off topic, but these stats tell you that a frosh can make an impact, don't count out ole' Brion.

While we're talking about freshman...

I know size isn't a huge thing for our style of QB at the moment, but Martinez is NOT 6'1" as listed. I saw Carnes today and he is at least 6'1". He looks thicker than when he got here too. I realize it's a little off topic, but these stats tell you that a frosh can make an impact, don't count out ole' Brion.

I've noticed this too. He is not very big at all. Not sure this matters, but the way he's listed, you'd think he was the same size as Crouch. But side by side, I think 2001 Crouch was much bigger than 2010 Martinez.

I realize T-magic isn't going to be the next Mike Vick necessarily but, I am going to laugh my Arse off in a few months when all the trash talkers are buying his jersey and jumping back on the t-wagon. The kid did some great things and some bad things. I'm sure he will concentrate on passing mostly on offseason and get a little better. Then the year after work on controlling the game and reading defenses. Then we will all be saying Frazier who? (over exaggeration) He didn't look any more lost than Lee did last year. Give the kid some time he will at the least be a good QB. Like I said Maybe not Hypeman trophy winner but good.

he did good things against bad defenses who were not prepared. he did bad things against good defenses and even bad defenses who had time to study him. also, lee was not 'lost', he had no line to protect him. lee would have been much better at managing a game and sustaining a drive (and so i do not get ripped, i will add the obligatory 'IMO').

Tmart is a better passing QB then Can "Cheat" Newton, progress can be made and if TMart can make these adjustments then he can only get better. Like I've said a thousand times before you have to adjust the plays to your QBs ability so I'd put most of it in Watson's hands and with that insurance we should all pray things work out.

Fine he has better freshman stats then Tommie and Crouch. Tommie and Crouch teams both finished their sophomore years ranked #3 in the Nation and only lost 1 game those years. If Martinez does that next year then we can talk.

You don't think having better stats on a worse team is admirable?

great comparison. but like Crouch himself who said about half way through the season, concerning Martin-ez:

"he is showing great burst, great acceleration. He's certainly faster than me. the only thing we'll have to keep a close eye on, is when he gets into conference play and the players and schemes are faster, smarter. to keep his legs fresh and endure an entire season of B12 football."

well, I guess we should re-examine some of when those stats were accumulated, maybe? I really like Matin-ez for a number of reasons. I hope he shows great growth in the off season to correct his shortcomings. but when he's performing the mental part and winning games that way around week 9, then i'll be impressed even if his stats earned physically start to fall off.

great comparison. but like Crouch himself who said about half way through the season, concerning Martin-ez:

"he is showing great burst, great acceleration. He's certainly faster than me. the only thing we'll have to keep a close eye on, is when he gets into conference play and the players and schemes are faster, smarter. to keep his legs fresh and endure an entire season of B12 football."

well, I guess we should re-examine some of when those stats were accumulated, maybe? I really like Matin-ez for a number of reasons. I hope he shows great growth in the off season to correct his shortcomings. but when he's performing the mental part and winning games that way around week 9, then i'll be impressed even if his stats earned physically start to fall off.

The data is skewed because of the injury in Martinez' fourth conference game. There's a clear drop-off after the injury vs. Missouri. Against K-State he was fine, against Texas he was OK, against Oklahoma State he was fine, against Missouri he was OK, then injured. You can't simply look at the year and say, "Yep, he struggled in conference" because you don't know whether the injury made him struggle or the better competition, or a combination of the two.

Personally, the jury is still out for me. Martinez did some things that made me perk up like no quarterback has since Crouch. He did some things that were the worst things I've seen since... not sure when. He was both very good and very bad. His behavior was open to question as well. I'll welcome him back next year with open arms, confident he'll have matured and improved, but if we have someone better, I'm all for that guy, too.

• Fire 2

Tmart is a better passing QB then Can "Cheat" Newton, progress can be made and if TMart can make these adjustments then he can only get better. Like I've said a thousand times before you have to adjust the plays to your QBs ability so I'd put most of it in Watson's hands and with that insurance we should all pray things work out.

I strongly disagree with this. I'm sure I'm not the only one. $cam Newton is projected as a first rounder because of his throwing ability in addition to his running skill. If you put Newton's running ability with TMart's throwing ability, you would have Jamal Lord. NOT a first round pick.