Whoops Iowa Football....

irieboy8

im baffled by this. im surprised it hasnt received more outcry, investigation, whatever. even if its just that someone screwed up the team meal or something relatively harmless like that, you'd think it would have some sort of national outcry, or parents of a player on the today show, whatever.

something is absolutely not right here...whats it take, someone to die? or what?

the quote from the university that it was 'likely related' to offseason workouts would be comical if it wasnt for its blatant attempt at slant.

ill be amazed if someone's head doesnt roll from this, but honestly Iowa dodged a HUGE bullet here if just for the simple fact no one expired.

Did I read right on a previous link in this thread late last night (I forget which one) where they're trying to link it to Sickle Cell Anemia?

I don't know much about the condition, but I'd wonder what is different at Iowa that's not taking place elsewhere.

Maybe experimenting with supliments like we used to with roids?

This article is written with the idea of using certain extracts to lessen the effects of the condition, but I imagine some other nutrients or even prescribed drugs that could have detrimental effects on that same condition.

Sickle cell anemia: a potential nutritional approach for a molecular disease

A certain population of red blood cells in patients with sickle cell anemia has an elevated density and possesses an abnormal membrane. These “dense cells” have a tendency to adhere to neutrophils, platelets, and vascular endothelial cells, and, thus, they could trigger vasoocclusion and the subsequent painful crisis from which these patients suffer. We developed a laboratory method of preparing such dense cells and found that nutritional antioxidant supplements, hydroxyl radical scavengers, and iron-binding agents could inhibit the formation of dense cells in vitro. The concentrations at which effective nutritional supplements could inhibit dense cell formation by 50% were 4.0 mg/mL for aged garlic extract, 0.38 mg/mL for black tea extract, 0.13 mg/mL for green tea extract, 0.07 mg/mL for Pycnogenol, 930 μM for α-lipoic acid, 270 μM for vitamin E, 45 μM for coenzyme Q10, and 32 μM for β-carotene. Both an ex vivo study and a pilot clinical trial demonstrated that a cocktail consisting of daily doses of 6 g of aged garlic extract, 4–6 g of vitamin C, and 800 to 1200 IU of vitamin E may indeed be beneficial to the patients.

Has there been mention what their symptoms were or what exactly they were doing prior to the time it was determined that they should go to Hospital?

What Is Sickle Cell Anemia?

sickle_cell_01.jpg

Well, new news, neg test for drugs. Thats why I wait for news. Player at sr game says work out is typical, mostly after a bad season, everyone seen how winded they were getting in the 4th. He also said first weekend back after christmas, he hoped they didnt go out (drinking) and took care of thier bodies prior to workout. On another thought I wonder how many kids use supps while in high school to try and bulk up hoping to get recruited, which would bring up the question could most kids have some mild kidney problems before ever playing D1 ball?

whats crazy is that five of them just got out of the hospital...the other eight are still there. this isnt a case of simple dehydration or what have you. something went seriously wrong.

Ferentz said in a statement that he's looking forward to the release of the eight remaining players "in the days ahead."

i cant see this ending well for the hawkeye program

rhabdomyolysis from google health

The outcome varies depending on the extent of kidney damage. Acute kidney failure occurs in many patients. Treatment soon after rhabdomyolysis begins will reduce the risk of chronic kidney damage.

People with milder cases may return to normal activity within a few weeks to a month or more. However, some continue to have problems with fatigue and muscle pain.

dialysis is a treatment...serious stuff.