Frost/Warinner

Frost and Warinner seem to be the the top 2 guys right now.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_1a4650a4-0dba-5437-80da-10d6c8dee101.html

This really isnt anything revealing, just thought I would post it so everybody can read and decipher what they want from this. My feeling is that we should familarize ourselves with Warinner alot more.

Mods: I didnt really wanna start a new thread on this, but I didnt know which already existing thread to put this under. Merge if you want.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_1a4650a4-0dba-5437-80da-10d6c8dee101.html

This really isnt anything revealing, just thought I would post it so everybody can read and decipher what they want from this. My feeling is that we should familarize ourselves with Warinner alot more.

Mods: I didnt really wanna start a new thread on this, but I didnt know which already existing thread to put this under. Merge if you want.

Warinner isn't going anywhere. He is happy at Noter Dame. Frost is definetely a leading canidate. I haven't checked on Jason Phillips in a few days, but last time I checked, he was a priority.

Warinner isn't going anywhere. He is happy at Noter Dame. Frost is definetely a leading canidate. I haven't checked on Jason Phillips in a few days, but last time I checked, he was a priority.

I wouldn't count out Warinner so quickly at all. He has a past connection to Beck and tangentially to Bo through the Mangino-Ohio ties. And we know that Bo and Carl have a ton of respect for his offenses. I doubt Warinner is happy staying a position coach the rest of his career.

I'm still skeptical that Frost will leave UO, though I think it would be exciting as hell having him on the staff in some capacity. I just don't know if Bo is willing to give him the offensive authority Frost wants.

But in the last 24 hours we have seen reports from the LJS and OWH that talks with Frost and now Warinner have slowed. Probably just part of the negotiating process, like when talks between the Yankees and Jeter "broke down." I would say the smart money is on Warinner.

I wouldn't count out Warinner so quickly at all. He has a past connection to Beck and tangentially to Bo through the Mangino-Ohio ties. And we know that Bo and Carl have a ton of respect for his offenses. I doubt Warinner is happy staying a position coach the rest of his career.

I'm still skeptical that Frost will leave UO, though I think it would be exciting as hell having him on the staff in some capacity. I just don't know if Bo is willing to give him the offensive authority Frost wants.

But in the last 24 hours we have seen reports from the LJS and OWH that talks with Frost and now Warinner have slowed. Probably just part of the negotiating process, like when talks between the Yankees and Jeter "broke down." I would say the smart money is on Warinner.

Yep, Warinner is flying under the radar abit, atleast on our side of things. Everybody is chanting go get Frost because he was a former QB at Nebraska. I would be happy with getting Warinner as OC rather than Frost as a OC or even Co-OC with Warinner.

Warinner has ton of coaching of expericence and with Frost supposedly not wanting to come unless he is an OC, I put my money on Warinner.

Chances of getting Warinner are about 70%, Frost 30%, Both 20%.

Is it correct to say that Warriner's major focus in his career has be the O-line? If so, that would certainly ease some of my concern about Barney if he were hired.

Good point. And note from his bio that he has coached O-lines at a bunch of run-happy schools. And he has done it effectively. That would align with Bo's apparently desire to move even more to a run-oriented version of the spread.

How do we know that Bo and Carl have that much respect for his offenses? I see where Carl has said how difficult it was to defend, but Bo would probably not like to recruit someone as woefully turtle-like in speed as Todd Reesing to play quarterback here. It is really surprising to me that we may be moving for a guy not cast out of the spread option/zone read mold. Actually it's a little encouraging but it makes me wonder what the hell the charades of the past season have been for.

It's also encouraging if he has OL background. I don't know how much it would help, but it's got to count for something. I sorta think that anyone with a clue there is going to clash in 'philosophy' and methods with Barney, who might not take too kindly to that. Net negative effect as a result of being tugged in all different directions? I hope not.

How do we know that Bo and Carl have that much respect for his offenses? I see where Carl has said how difficult it was to defend, but Bo would probably not like to recruit someone as woefully turtle-like in speed as Todd Reesing to play quarterback here. It is really surprising to me that we may be moving for a guy not cast out of the spread option/zone read mold. Actually it's a little encouraging but it makes me wonder what the hell the charades of the past season have been for.

It's also encouraging if he has OL background. I don't know how much it would help, but it's got to count for something. I sorta think that anyone with a clue there is going to clash in 'philosophy' and methods with Barney, who might not take too kindly to that. Net negative effect as a result of being tugged in all different directions? I hope not.

You bring up some good points. As far as offensive scheme goes, I think we could moving towards what KU did when Warinner was there. Honestly, i dont think Reesing was that great of a passer, but I do remember making plays with his feet, especially against us. They also did some things with Kerry Meier, like running reverse passes and double screen passes. Which for the life I dont understand why we didnt attempt do this at all with Rex lining up in the wildcat. So plugging in what Ku did offensively during Warinners time I think can be successful.

It will be interseting to see what role on an OLine role if hired. I remember at KU in 2009, he coached his Oline to keep Suh out of the backfield, Crick too. KU moved the ball on our defense, we were lucky to get out of their with a win.

If we knew Cottons was gone also, this potential hire would make alot more sense. But still, I think we are gonna go try and get him, he can only help our offensive woes.

Reesing definitely wasn't turtle-like, but granted he was no Martinez or Turner. Just because he had Reesing at Kansas doesn't mean that's the only kind of QB he can work with. Remember that he also coached at Army, Air Force, and Illinois. He's worked in offensive systems with various kinds of QBs. I doubt Bo would bring him here if he refused to play more athletic QBs and only wanted guys like Reesing running his offense. Remember also that he didn't exactly have his pick of the litter in recruiting for Kansas. And even then KU had a very prolific offense. I'd take that any day.

I'm not belittling Frost in any way. I just think NU fans shouldn't be too quick to shoot down the benefits of Warinner being OC or co-OC.

Not to get us off topic on this thread, but with all of the speculation about potential OCs, has anyone heard any names of possible for the WR position? Kind of surprising how that hasn't really been discussed much, especially with the expectation that Bo will unveil all of the new hires at once sometime next week.

Reesing definitely wasn't turtle-like, but granted he was no Martinez or Turner. Just because he had Reesing at Kansas doesn't mean that's the only kind of QB he can work with. Remember that he also coached at Army, Air Force, and Illinois. He's worked in offensive systems with various kinds of QBs. I doubt Bo would bring him here if he refused to play more athletic QBs and only wanted guys like Reesing running his offense. Remember also that he didn't exactly have his pick of the litter in recruiting for Kansas. And even then KU had a very prolific offense. I'd take that any day.

I'm not belittling Frost in any way. I just think NU fans shouldn't be too quick to shoot down the benefits of Warinner being OC or co-OC.

I like the way your thinking. Remember Frost in the coaching world has very little experience. Warinner has a ton of experience, he has been all over the college football world. I'll take experience over a young coach any day. Especially considering how our offense has been the most inconsistent thing other than the basketball I have ever seen.

Completely kidding on Reesing. He had a pretty good set of wheels and I remember him scrambling on us for quite a few yards. That was a great game in 2009. Lee/Paul stretched the field and put us on top early. Lee showed off his own set of wheels several times and broke some fine runs.

But by our standards around here, if we want to be consistent in our terminology in talking about QB speed lately, then half our grandmothers could run faster than him (Reesing), Zac Lee, and Cody Green. If I were a Kansas fan, I'd just gouge my eyes out every time Reesing made first downs running against our defense, it'd be just so pathetic to watch. :P

I don't think he would refuse to play more athletic QBs, but if it's that system he'll bring in...well, it would sort of be like keeping Shawn Watson and letting him build off of 2008. Only without Shawn Watson. It would mean this whole year was for nothing, and Taylor probably has a limited shot of grading out well for that kind of offense. And people would think 'well, he can't be worse than SW at calling plays' which would last up until about our first loss. It just seems to be a puzzling amount of change to get back to where we were. No doubt I am encouraged by it though.

Not to get us off topic on this thread, but with all of the speculation about potential OCs, has anyone heard any names of possible for the WR position? Kind of surprising how that hasn't really been discussed much, especially with the expectation that Bo will unveil all of the new hires at once sometime next week.

Im guessing it depends on who is hired, their could be some resuffling of current staff to different positions. If Warinner gets hired I could see Barney moving to TEs Brown moving to WRs and Warinner coaches the Oline, with Beck coaching either RBs or QBs, or both. Its really tough to say right now, with it will sort itself out.

Just a bit of devil's advocate...

If Frost's weakness is that he lacks experience, is the fact that Warriner has been a position coach for 27 years and not gotten the nod as an OC a cause of concern? To me, it is significant to have had that much time and exposure and not been chosen as an OC by any of the schools where he's coached.

Edit:

Oops, I screwed that up. He was the OC @ Kansas then moved to the OL coach at Notre Dame.

Perhaps, the overall idea of the post is still somewhat valid as a concern as a move to OL coach from OC seems strange, especially after success @ KU.