Controversy goes National

Most shocking of all is our, well, shock. Perhaps some of us believed that Nebraska was one of the F.B.S. programs that always shot straight, especially now that Tom Osborne has involved himself in the day-to-day workings of the athletic department — and the football team in particular. It’s foolish, however, to think that Nebraska wouldn’t do the same thing that rivals in and out of its conference have been doing for generations.

There’s nothing in the N.C.A.A. rulebook that prohibits a team from doing just this after signing day, of course. The only people hurt in this case are the prospects who felt misled and the coaches who opted to take one for the team — like Watson or Gilmore — while they could have been shopping their resumes for a job at another program. Yes, Nebraska’s behavior was a bit shady, a bit unsettling and a bit out of character, but it was nonetheless within the rules of conduct, if not the rules of etiquette.

So not altogether shady, but unsettling.

This guy is a moron.

As has previously been mentioned, Shawn Watson has been a "serious candidate" for virtually every coaching job that has become available within the last 2.5 months. In addition, Charles Jackson's dad has already publicly stated that his son's decision wouldn't have been influenced by the staff changes even if they had been announced before NSD. Furthermore, he admonished reporters who, like this jackass, blew that issue out of proportion in order to sell media.

Most shocking of all is our, well, shock. Perhaps some of us believed that Nebraska was one of the F.B.S. programs that always shot straight, especially now that Tom Osborne has involved himself in the day-to-day workings of the athletic department — and the football team in particular. It’s foolish, however, to think that Nebraska wouldn’t do the same thing that rivals in and out of its conference have been doing for generations.

There’s nothing in the N.C.A.A. rulebook that prohibits a team from doing just this after signing day, of course. The only people hurt in this case are the prospects who felt misled and the coaches who opted to take one for the team — like Watson or Gilmore — while they could have been shopping their resumes for a job at another program. Yes, Nebraska’s behavior was a bit shady, a bit unsettling and a bit out of character, but it was nonetheless within the rules of conduct, if not the rules of etiquette.

This guy is a moron.

As has previously been mentioned, Shawn Watson has been a "candidate" for virtually every coaching job that has come available within the last 2.5 months. In addition, Charles Jackson's dad has already publicly stated that his son's decision wouldn't have been influenced by the staff changes had they been announced before NSD. Furthermore, he admonished reporters who, like this jackass, blew that issue out of proportion in order to sell media.

What exactly were Jackson's options? He had signed on the line. There was no way to back out. Of course he is going to say "oh yeah! Everything is fine!" Interesting how that conflicts with his initial reaction, isn't it? Perhaps it wasn't obvious enough for you.

This guy is a moron.

As has previously been mentioned, Shawn Watson has been a "candidate" for virtually every coaching job that has come available within the last 2.5 months. In addition, Charles Jackson's dad has already publicly stated that his son's decision wouldn't have been influenced by the staff changes had they been announced before NSD. Furthermore, he admonished reporters who, like this jackass, blew that issue out of proportion in order to sell media.

What exactly were Jackson's options? He had signed on the line. There was no way to back out. Of course he is going to say "oh yeah! Everything is fine!" Interesting how that conflicts with his initial reaction, isn't it? Perhaps it wasn't obvious enough for you.

I'm not willing to give Chatelain the benefit of the doubt as far as how that interview was conducted. I really don't think we have enough information to go around calling Bo's integrity into question.

This guy is a moron.

I'm not willing to give Chatelain the benefit of the doubt as far as how that interview was conducted. I really don't think we have enough information to go around calling Bo's integrity into question.

Ah. Bo's integrity is beyond reproach but we must all assume that Chatelain is untrustworthy. That's awfully convenient.

I always find it interesting when someone's assumptions align with his or her wishes.

This guy is a moron.

Ah. Bo's integrity is beyond reproach but we must all assume that Chatelain is untrustworthy. That's awfully convenient.

I'm not going to argue with you about Chatelain. Just consider the following:

We don't know what questions Charles Jackson was asked.

We don't know when the Marvin Sanders situation came to a head. Hell, we don't even know what the Marvin Sanders situation is.

We don't know what Bo's legal obligations are when it comes to publicizing this kind of information (at least I don't).

I think you should know the answers to those questions before you draw the types of conclusions that you are drawing.

And I think it's even more ridiculous to criticize Pelini for not "disclosing" the fact that Shawn Watson was leaving. After 10 weeks of speculation about his status with the team (partly because of his inept performance, partly because he was actively interviewing with other schools), you can't possibly criticize Pelini for the way he handled Watson.

I remember last year around this time when Oregon was in the national headlines for off-the-field issues. Masoli and the stolen laptop fiasco. LaMichael James assaulting his girlfriend which led to being suspended for the 1st game of the 2010 season. Their kicker was critically injured and hospitalized after getting beat up at a party. Each incident occurred within a week's time. They managed to prove their doubters wrong when it was thought that the loss of Masoli would hurt their chances to contend for a national title. Sometimes national controversies can make or break a team. How they come out of it falls on the staff that leads it. Oregon came out of it just fine.

Bo can do the same with Nebraska. We'll know how this all turns out once 2011 comes to a close. I guess the point is, winning big makes people forget the controversies that came before it. At least momentarily. You can bet if Nebraska were to have an Oregon-like season in 2011, the national pundits will be the first to jump on the bandwagon and these present controversies like this one will be a fart in the wind long forgotten.

• Fire 2

I remember last year around this time when Oregon was in the national headlines for off-the-field issues. Masoli and the stolen laptop fiasco. LaMichael James assaulting his girlfriend which led to being suspended for the 1st game of the 2010 season. Their kicker was critically injured and hospitalized after getting beat up at a party. Each incident occurred within a week's time. They managed to prove their doubters wrong when it was thought that the loss of Masoli would hurt their chances to contend for a national title. Sometimes national controversies can make or break a team. How they come out of it falls on the staff that leads it. Oregon came out of it just fine.

Bo can do the same with Nebraska. We'll know how this all turns out once 2011 comes to a close. I guess the point is, winning big makes people forget the controversies that came before it. At least momentarily. You can bet if Nebraska were to have an Oregon-like season in 2011, the national pundits will be the first to jump on the bandwagon and these present controversies like this one will be a fart in the wind long forgotten.

While I hope you are right, I think we all have to remember the 1995 season. We won the friggin title and nobody forgot about the controversies.

And Bo kinda making a recruit upset, but not really, isn't nearly as bad as the stuff going on at Oregon.

This controversy boggles my mind.

This guy is a moron.

We don't know when the Marvin Sanders situation came to a head. Hell, we don't even know what the Marvin Sanders situation is.

We don't know what Bo's legal obligations are when it comes to publicizing this kind of information (at least I don't).

I think you should know the answers to those questions before you draw the types of conclusions that you are drawing.

And I think it's even more ridiculous to criticize Pelini for not "disclosing" the fact that Shawn Watson was leaving. After 10 weeks of speculation about his status with the team (partly because of his inept performance, partly because he was actively interviewing with other schools), you can't possibly criticize Pelini for the way he handled Watson.

Eh. I guess I trust Chatelain's journalistic integrity. He's one of the few Nebraska writers willing to ask questions about what we want to know versus what the University wants us to know. That's a healthy thing.

I don't have a problem with firing coaches. Heck, I've been calling for the firing of Watson for as long as anyone on this board. My problem is that recruits apparently signed with Nebraska without being informed that their position coaches would not be here. I do not think that is fair to them, in fact I think it reeks of dishonesty and a lack of integrity. If my son had signed with Nebraska to be coached specifically by Marvin Sanders, and the coaches hid the fact that he would not be here until after he signed his LOI, I would be disgusted.

Maybe I just expect a higher standard of conduct.

And Bo kinda making a recruit upset, but not really, isn't nearly as bad as the stuff going on at Oregon.

This controversy boggles my mind.

Regarding the bold, I agree with this. This is not as big of a deal as a program out of control. To me this is about coaches lacking some of the integrity and honesty that they preach.

I don't have a problem with firing coaches. Heck, I've been calling for the firing of Watson for as long as anyone on this board. My problem is that recruits apparently signed with Nebraska without being informed that their position coaches would not be here. I do not think that is fair to them, in fact I think it reeks of dishonesty and a lack of integrity. If my son had signed with Nebraska to be coached specifically by Marvin Sanders, and the coaches hid the fact that he would not be here until after he signed his LOI, I would be disgusted.

YOU

DON'T

KNOW

WHAT

ACTUALLY

HAPPENED.

This guy is a moron.

Eh. I guess I trust Chatelain's journalistic integrity. He's one of the few Nebraska writers willing to ask questions about what we want to know versus what the University wants us to know. That's a healthy thing.

But Charles' dad, on the other hand, didn't even take issue with it...