Controversy goes National

Nebraska's Unsettling Behavior

How long had Pelini been aware that Sanders wasn’t going to return in 2011? It wasn’t a new development, to say the least: Pelini knew this would be the case, as did Sanders, when each was recruiting players late during the most recent recruiting cycle. One such recruit, Charles Jackson, was perturbed to hear — after he had signed with the Cornhuskers – that the coach he believed would lead him through the paces come the fall was no longer a member of the Nebraska coaching staff.

Article loses a lot of cred right there, Both Charles and his dad have stated that the media was grabbing at straws and they reported it wrong. They both have stated they knew that Marvin was gone before he signed.

So whats the next non issue?

Gee head coaches leave their recruits in the dirt all the time for greener pastures. I don't see anyone crying to hard for players then. What if Frost came here after he recruited all those stars for Oregon. Would their be a national outcry? Screw the media (if that's what you call them). Most of them get their stories from message boards since.

i'm just glad Watsgrove is getting publicity nationally for crapping the bed offensively...see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.

the last of the C******n regime is finally gone...i predict a MNC within 2 years

What are you 12? It's really Watson's fault that Bo tied his hands by making him run an offense he knows nothing about and made him use a QB that he didn't want to use and was crippled because of our crappy OL for half the season?

Now it's better for both that he moves on, but look at the facts.

And look at your precious Solich staff, 90% of them are gone too. And Brown is the only one that is worth a dam. Cotton is by far the worst coach on the staff.

I wished I shared your enthusiasm about our future because I don't see it yet.

wow. Nice. 12? No. 34? Yes.

Where did I bring up Solich?

Where did I bring up cotton?

Where did I bring up handcuffing, besides to my wife?

Look, it is obvious to anyone (apparently including you) that Watson needs to go. I argue with my buddies who are kstate and CU fans all the time about why I didn't like watsgrove. I couldn't explain it in any clearer English that his offenses and those of c*****n sucked balls when it mattered. I don't care if cotton sucks or Bo hamstrung him, u make $$ to score points, he didn't score points. ESPECIALLY WHEN IT MATTERED.

I wrote what I wrote, because Watson is FINALLY getting the blame for costing us 2 CC and 2 BCS games. Everyone here knew it middle of last year (besides zoogies and kshusker). Basically, if there's 1 thing I'm happy about this going public, it's that everyone knows wastgrove sucks. and it's not lost on me that c******n hired him.

U can share in my optimism now that we will have an offense to compliment our World Class D

My guess is that the statement on recruits is ........ wrong. A recruit I’m sure is as tuned in or more than many and for most it was clear that for the last few months playing for Watson was up in the air, and then when he drops off the planet after a piss poor bowl game I think the writing was on the wall in Bold. I think Bo was in touch with the players and the ones who stayed wanted to play for Nebraska more the Watts. In the environment of the past 60 days a big time player in Love with Watts would have left pre signing day, I'm sure they were getting notes from other great teams trying to grab them. As I recall a few days prior to signing day Bo was at Starlings house and I doubt he was reassuring him that Watts would be his coach.

I think this reporting is reaching at best, and intentional misleading at the worst.

Agreed. Good post, Hujan. :thumbs

I will say this, though - this blog, errant though it is, does show that this is not a dead issue "out there." There are things which may happen in the future which may make this crop up again, and in an ugly light for Nebraska. It doesn't matter how flawed this blog is, this situation could definitely have been handled better on our end.

Let's hope it blows over. I would never be more happy to be wrong about this. But we cannot ignore the potential for damage in future recruiting.

There are literally only two problems I have with Bo:

1) PR

2) We don't chase referees after games. No matter how bad we want to.

My guess is that the statement on recruits is ........ wrong. A recruit I’m sure is as tuned in or more than many and for most it was clear that for the last few months playing for Watson was up in the air, and then when he drops off the planet after a piss poor bowl game I think the writing was on the wall in Bold. I think Bo was in touch with the players and the ones who stayed wanted to play for Nebraska more the Watts. In the environment of the past 60 days a big time player in Love with Watts would have left pre signing day, I'm sure they were getting notes from other great teams trying to grab them. As I recall a few days prior to signing day Bo was at Starlings house and I doubt he was reassuring him that Watts would be his coach.

I think this reporting is reaching at best, and intentional misleading at the worst.

Bubba has stated that he is "Committed to NU. Not Shawn Watson."

Bubba has stated that he is "Committed to NU. Not Shawn Watson."

Thanks for the info. I think this is the case with most of the Guys coming in. "My name is __________ And I play for Nebraska".

Watson knew full well what kind of offense we were running in 2010 back in January.

If I might chime in, the kind of offense were running in 2010 was going to be the stuff we saw in the Holiday Bowl, something which has been more or less confirmed by Niles Paul (and I think Watson himself spoke on it). Plainly, it is not the offense we actually ran in 2010. A change occurred and you could argue how major it was, I'd say it is fairly significant.

Again, NOTHING we ran in 2010 was not in our playbook in 2009. Niles may not have liked the direction we went in, but it was there, in 2009's Holiday Bowl, for everyone to see.

Bingo was his nameo. Pull the tape from the 2009 CCG against Texas. You'll see Lee and Helu running the zone-read on at least the drive against Texas that got us the go-ahead field goal. I can't think of anything we ran this year (2010) that was not in the arsenal last year (2009).

Post of the day my friend.

Agreed. Good post, Hujan. :thumbs

Thanks, fellas. Means a lot from you two, as I enjoy both of your comments tremendously.

I will say this, though - this blog, errant though it is, does show that this is not a dead issue "out there." There are things which may happen in the future which may make this crop up again, and in an ugly light for Nebraska. It doesn't matter how flawed this blog is, this situation could definitely have been handled better on our end.

Let's hope it blows over. I would never be more happy to be wrong about this. But we cannot ignore the potential for damage in future recruiting.

I agree. I have been surprised, though, at Bo's resiliency and ability to bounce back from seemingly horrible PR nightmares. There was the A&M gaffe, then Sailor-gate, now this. Each time, I thought for sure things were going to hit a critical mass and then, a week later, things died down if not completely disappeared.

One thing's for sure, though: The Nebraska athletic department should assign a spokesperson for Bo. Like a publicist who can write press releases and advise the coaching staff on what to say at pressers, if not speak for the team in place of Bo. Sort of like how the White House has a press secretary who talks to the press most days in lieu of the President. I am biased, of course, but an attorney would be ideal, since they (we) are all about spin and choosing words carefully. It would be a fun gig. Hell, I'd move back to NE and do the job for free!

• Fire 1

I'm not getting ahead of myself, after all...I am I

but if we can get plus 9% production on scoring, 3rd down prof, and turnover ratio added to our offense, we would be unstoppable. Don't ask where I got 9%, just believe me...after all I am I...

I think this writer is missing out on some of the information and he is clearly showing a bias in his article, which, if it's an opinion article is perfectly fine by me. Sanders was released on reasons unbeknownst to us. Nebraska wouldn't fire their secondary coach after putting up the best secondary last year, would they? Charles Jackson understood the situation and is now 100% committed to Nebraska. And while I like the whole "everyone thinks we're an angel program that always shoots straight," everyone needs to come to the truth that is: not one single program is a straight shooter, the programs that are assumed to be just haven't been exposed.

Now I'm not saying Bo did everything right, but the Sanders situation, I think, was something beyond his control. He'll make a bad move (PR wise) should he decide to fire Watson and Gilmore right after they did the recruiting.

Nebraska's Unsettling Behavior

How long had Pelini been aware that Sanders wasn’t going to return in 2011? It wasn’t a new development, to say the least: Pelini knew this would be the case, as did Sanders, when each was recruiting players late during the most recent recruiting cycle. One such recruit, Charles Jackson, was perturbed to hear — after he had signed with the Cornhuskers – that the coach he believed would lead him through the paces come the fall was no longer a member of the Nebraska coaching staff.

Article loses a lot of cred right there, Both Charles and his dad have stated that the media was grabbing at straws and they reported it wrong. They both have stated they knew that Marvin was gone before he signed.

So whats the next non issue?

Sorry. This is not true.

Charles Jackson did not know that Sanders was gone until after he signed his LOI. It's like a "we've always been at war with Oceania" scene in here.