Don't Judge New Staff by Resumes

This is really quite clear. This is what happens when a team waits until weeks after the season to start recruiting candidates. Damn near every team in the country was chopping heads the minute their last game finished. Nope, not NU-they apparently screwed around and let everyone with a decent resume get sucked up by someone else. It's quite similar to trying to figure out what to do in mid Feb. after your OC has been turned down by every job in the country, and you're still stuck with him.

Somebody needs to pull their head out, and get with the program-because NU was left picking up table scraps trying to put a staff together.

:ahhhhhhhh Reminds of a story I heard once about this chicken who's name was Little.

post-4948-008148000 1297524186.jpg

This is really quite clear. This is what happens when a team waits until weeks after the season to start recruiting candidates. Damn near every team in the country was chopping heads the minute their last game finished. Nope, not NU-they apparently screwed around and let everyone with a decent resume get sucked up by someone else. It's quite similar to trying to figure out what to do in mid Feb. after your OC has been turned down by every job in the country, and you're still stuck with him.

Somebody needs to pull their head out, and get with the program-because NU was left picking up table scraps trying to put a staff together.

I disagree. I wasn't doing cartwheels over filling-up on sleepers but all the guys hired were ones Bo/Carl knew and felt comfortable with. I wouldn't say we were left picking-up scraps because we waited. I'd say we just didn't really look especially hard. Few names were thrown around seriously and it's questionable whether offered Frost more than just position-coach responsibilities or offered Warinner or the Houston guy at all. I think Bo wanted his guys and he has them now. Let's see what happens.

Exactly.

I disagree. I wasn't doing cartwheels over filling-up on sleepers but all the guys hired were ones Bo/Carl knew and felt comfortable with. I wouldn't say we were left picking-up scraps because we waited. I'd say we just didn't really look especially hard. Few names were thrown around seriously and it's questionable whether offered Frost more than just position-coach responsibilities or offered Warinner or the Houston guy at all. I think Bo wanted his guys and he has them now. Let's see what happens.

Exactly.

i think Bo got his 2nd tier guys....let's hope they are quick studies.....

Well Bo picked his guys and there is nothing we can do but hope for the best. People are already saying it's going to fail before the staff is even officially announced. It isn't the first time we promoted a GA (see Tom Osborne) nor hire a high school head coach (see Dan Young). This is probably Bo's last chance, let's hope he and TO are better at evaluating coaching talent than us.

Smiled at the bold phrase ... that is amazing. :facepalm: Again, TO would have been fired real quick with this same thinking.

I don't see the Bo hire as anything like a five year time frame ... maybe I don't know my university that well ... could be. I don't see TO hiring Bo with this short of a lease. I think he hired him with a commitment for as long as he needs ... unless he throws it away.

SheepdogMark

Well Bo picked his guys and there is nothing we can do but hope for the best. People are already saying it's going to fail before the staff is even officially announced. It isn't the first time we promoted a GA (see Tom Osborne) nor hire a high school head coach (see Dan Young). This is probably Bo's last chance, let's hope he and TO are better at evaluating coaching talent than us.

Smiled at the bold phrase ... that is amazing. :facepalm: Again, TO would have been fired real quick with this same thinking.

I don't see the Bo hire as anything like a five year time frame ... maybe I don't know my university that well ... could be. I don't see TO hiring Bo with this short of a lease. I think he hired him with a commitment for as long as he needs ... unless he throws it away.

SheepdogMark

Yeah you are probably right. I think I let all the doom and gloom posters get in my head.

SheepdogMark

Yeah you are probably right. I think I let all the doom and gloom posters get in my head.

Paxo, I understand. Watch the board posters and you will over time key in on the correct minds. I've found the 80/20 rule to be true here. Most "fans" are the "80%" who don't have a clue and move up and down with the latest of "any" and "all" "news" regardless of anything. The mods are very solid folks and I've found some quality people here who share info and insights with "reason". Take some time and sift through it all.

Enjoy the board. I've had a blast in my few years here. Don't post much, but I read Huskerboard on a daily basis, although I try to post little as I rarely have much "info" and my "insight" is very limited and my opinion really doesn't matter on most things.

SheepdogMark

I think it was a response to so many people feeling like we needed to hire a John Gruden or big name to fill these spots. I suppose we could have gotten one big name for the OC but doing that runs a risk if the coaches don't trust each other and don't gel as a staff. The other positions it really wasn't realistic but to be honest. . .average Husker fan is a moron who doesn't understand football, coaching, recruiting, etc like we think we really do. The average fan is too emotional and not rational. I think if people look around the actual sports world they will see the staffs at even Alabama are made up of solid. . no splash hire coaches. I think there was a story the packers even had a coach this year that was coaching high school before they hired him.

People always want to date the prom queen but the reality is . . .we have a better chance of scoring and being happy with the band nerd.

I don't think anyone was really expecting a Gruden level hire. Scott Frost would only be splashy because of the Nebraska connections, I don't think he's necessarily a big name. Other guys like Warriner and Phillips were reasonable hires for a team competing for a national championship. There's a difference between a big, splashy hire, an expected hire, and what we got. I would be shocked if a single team in the top 15 has hired a coach who has no previous experience (Garrison). Of course most programs aren't filled with splash hires, there aren't that many splash hires to go around, but simply reducing them to "solid coaches." Isn't exactly accurate. The top programs are largely filled with guys with extensive pro and college experience. Guys who've spent the last decade winning BCS bowls and coaching all-americans. Not coaching pop warner.

Compare our situation with Texas and LSU for instance. In order to revamp their offenses LSU and Texas both go out and get guys who've been coaching at top 10 programs and winning BCS bowls. LSU hires a guy like Kragthorpe. Texas gets Harsin from Boise. They get guys who are some of the best in the business, while we settle for unproven gambles because they're Bo's buddies.n

Milt actually recommended Garrison for the job as one of the best young technicians in the game. I'll take that.

We'll just have to disagree. The secondary coach at Bama was a student assistant promoted to video guy to coach as an example where your wrong. You point out those two examples I'll use Bamba , Ohio State U, OU, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Oregon for examples where they built quality staffs from GA's guys at mid majors, high school coaches etc. Its way more common even at top programs to have guys like Bo hired than ones like Florida or Texas hired. Take the time to examine the staffs. Hell just follow football scoop and watch who's getting hired. You'd be very surprised.

Well if Milt actually recommended Garrison for the job and said those things then that's a damn nice compliment to have and actually makes me feel a lot more confident in the hire. With that said, it's just confusing to me that we didn't go after someone that has experience in running zone read concepts, which supposedly we are going to. I'm not sure if Garrison has experience dating back to the crouch years or not but I slighlty remember seeing a little zone read-any knowledge on that skers?

Exactly.

Exactly. Bo got what was left at the time-which was way late, and not much was left on the table.

Exactly.

Exactly. Bo got what was left at the time-which was way late, and not much was left on the table.

And you know this how? Do you sit by him in church? Maybe you jog with him? Talk at the meat counter at the local IGA? Unless you visit with him on a daily basis you have no idea what or who this search involved. You have no idea when the coaches were told they were being let go and these hires quite possibly could have been the ones Bo wanted from day one.

I really don't see why people keep saying, "This is Bo's last chance." The dude has won 30 games in 3 seasons, and with his defense, I don't see how we're going to drop below 8-9 wins most seasons. Tom Osborne isn't going to fire a coach who's winning 9 games a year, and he's not going to allow himself to be replaced by the type of athletic director that would. We've been down that road before, not too long ago, and we just recently made it back out of the woods. I don't want to go back in.

• Fire 3

I really don't see why people keep saying, "This is Bo's last chance." The dude has won 30 games in 3 seasons, and with his defense, I don't see how we're going to drop below 8-9 wins most seasons. Tom Osborne isn't going to fire a coach who's winning 9 games a year, and he's not going to allow himself to be replaced by the type of athletic director that would. We've been down that road before, not too long ago, and we just recently made it back out of the woods. I don't want to go back in.

Most people don't realize there are only like 5 coaches the last 3 combined seasons that have done equally as well or better than Bo. That being said. . .next year might be a different story as the Big 10 really kind of dicked us with our welcoming schedule which I believe is already rated the 6th toughest in the nation. If we get to 8 wins its one hell of an accomplishment. . .although the average fan isn't smart enough to realize this.