Official now???

Bo Pelini has said that he still has one more hire to get, he hasn't said who that is or what position. I think we can all assume its the TE coach. But it may very well be Special Teams and Defensive Line coach with the news about Papuchis

Now I see where you're getting that. It was on ESPN.com. That last hire is Ganz from intern to a paid GA not another assistant coach. I think that's your confusion.

Bo Pelini has said that he still has one more hire to get, he hasn't said who that is or what position. I think we can all assume its the TE coach. But it may very well be Special Teams and Defensive Line coach with the news about Papuchis

Now I see where you're getting that. It was on ESPN.com. That last hire is Ganz from intern to a paid GA not another assistant coach. I think that's your confusion.

Congrats to Joey - now he can stay in Lincoln and continue to tag that hot volleyball player.

EDIT: (whom I'm not allowed to post a picture of so don't ask)

I don't think it's going to be a full-time assistant, but a Graduate Assistant. Joe Ganz was floating around on here a few days ago, so maybe he'll be the Offensive GA, with Ross Watson continuing as the Defensive GA. So the staff shapes up like this:

HC: Bo Pelini

OC/QB: Tim Beck

DC/DT: Carl Pelini

RB: Ron Brown

WR: Rich Fisher

TE: Brown/Cotton/Garrison

AHC/OT: Barney Cotton

OG/OC: Jon Garrison

DE/RC: John Papuchis

LB/ST: Ross Els

DB: Corey Raymond

GA: Joe Ganz

GA: Ross Watson

Not a flashy staff, but I trust Bo, look at Pap and Ek, I think Bo knows coaching talent when he sees it, so I'll trust his judgment on this one.

Watson is done as a GA at Nebraska. The most any GA can work at one school is 3 years.

Also pretty sure Pap is keeping ST responsibilities, but I'm not completely sure on that.

I don't think it's going to be a full-time assistant, but a Graduate Assistant. Joe Ganz was floating around on here a few days ago, so maybe he'll be the Offensive GA, with Ross Watson continuing as the Defensive GA. So the staff shapes up like this:

HC: Bo Pelini

OC/QB: Tim Beck

DC/DT: Carl Pelini

RB: Ron Brown

WR: Rich Fisher

TE: Brown/Cotton/Garrison

AHC/OT: Barney Cotton

OG/OC: Jon Garrison

DE/RC: John Papuchis

LB/ST: Ross Els

DB: Corey Raymond

GA: Joe Ganz

GA: Ross Watson

Not a flashy staff, but I trust Bo, look at Pap and Ek, I think Bo knows coaching talent when he sees it, so I'll trust his judgment on this one.

Watson is done as a GA at Nebraska. The most any GA can work at one school is 3 years.

Also pretty sure Pap is keeping ST responsibilities, but I'm not completely sure on that.

He's keeping the title on ST but the vast majority of the work will be done by Els. It's not an "if" but "when" the title of STC goes to Els. Probably after next season for sure when JP's title will shift again, most likely to DC when Carl gets a head coaching job.

There really is a thing of beauty here with these hires. If everything goes as planned you have and understudy for Beck in Fisher, and understudy for Carl in JP. So when those guys move on to head coaching gigs you have a pretty smooth transition.

I really do like Beck as OC for a few different reasons.

He's keeping the title on ST but the vast majority of the work will be done by Els. It's not an "if" but "when" the title of STC goes to Els. Probably after next season for sure when JP's title will shift again, most likely to DC when Carl gets a head coaching job.

There really is a thing of beauty here with these hires. If everything goes as planned you have and understudy for Beck in Fisher, and understudy for Carl in JP. So when those guys move on to head coaching gigs you have a pretty smooth transition.

Wouldn't you also characterize the Garrison/Cotton relationship as understudy/trainer as well? I believe this is the first concrete step in moving Cotton up or out.

• Fire 1

Wouldn't you also characterize the Garrison/Cotton relationship as understudy/trainer as well? I believe this is the first concrete step in moving Cotton up or out.

Good point Knapp, time for a fresh face at the OL Coach. I truely believe that garrison will be one of the better hires from this staff reshuffle.

Not as much. No. But that all depends on Cotton this year. Garrison is not on the O-line to be BC's replacement at all but more as a complement in coaching styles and teaching. But he does give us a good fall back plan. As I understand it Cotton has a pretty good attitude right now and "says" he's excited to have Garrison working on the line. So maybe part of his piss poor attitude was to underlying issues with Watson. I guess I don't know, but we'll find out. It's one thing to say something and another to actually back up those words with actions. If he starts missing mentoring sessions with other teams' coaches, Milt, Beck etc then we'll know a lot more.

Not as much. No. But that all depends on Cotton this year. Garrison is not on the O-line to be BC's replacement at all but more as a complement in coaching styles and teaching. But he does give us a good fall back plan. As I understand it Cotton has a pretty good attitude right now and "says" he's excited to have Garrison working on the line. So maybe part of his piss poor attitude was to underlying issues with Watson. I guess I don't know, but we'll find out. It's one thing to say something and another to actually back up those words with actions. If he starts missing mentoring sessions with other teams' coaches, Milt, Beck etc then we'll know a lot more.

I get the impression Garrison isn't just here to get his feet wet. He's the Brion Carnes to Cotton's Taylor Martinez. Cotton has the "starting gig," but if he doesn't perform, he's getting benched in favor of the hot young prospect.

Kind of related - back when we were talking about how much it would take to get a guy like Frost in. Not only are HC salaries going through the roof - but position coaches are getting crazy amounts of money around the nation.

Offensive line coach Rick Trickett got a three-year contract that will pay him $400,000 annually Florida State.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/02/16/fsu-fisher-contract.ap/index.html#ixzz1EFVfBwnd

I get the impression Garrison isn't just here to get his feet wet. He's the Brion Carnes to Cotton's Taylor Martinez. Cotton has the "starting gig," but if he doesn't perform, he's getting benched in favor of the hot young prospect.

I think if either coach looks at it like that then we're doomed. And FWIW I don't think they are looking at it like that from the little discussions I've had. Of course its harder to know when two of the best resources out there that were usually quite open to questions like this are no longer on staff.

Nah, Papuchis would not want the title if he isn't doing the job. This isn't Ted Gilmore we are talking about. :) If he keeps the title, he'll be doing the work.

Even more when ST coordinator will not add to your job title for a guy like Papuchis who is gonna be in line for bigger jobs anyways. Nearly lost him to a few big schools this year, but thankfully he did not go.