Movie Reviews

We watched these movies last night and we liked both of them. They have been out for awhile though, so you all may have seen them.

Gran Torino:

Clint Eastwood stars in it.

Disgruntled Korean War vet Walt Kowalski sets out to reform his neighbor, a young Hmong teenager, who tried to steal Kowalski's prized possession: his 1972 Gran Torino.

Taken:

When his teenage daughter is kidnapped in Paris, a former spy sets out to find her at any cost. Relying on his special skills, he tracks down the gang that abducted her and launches a one-man war to bring them to justice and rescue his daughter.

I didn't care for Grand Torino. I mean, it was watchable, but kind of predictable. I did not see Taken. Let me say I am a movie snob. I can't stand senseless action, just for action. Same for blood. I am more partial to crafty orginal movies that are almost always are foreign films. I also hate noisy films and ones that try to pull the emotions out of you. That was where I had the problem with Million Dollar Baby. It was just too emotional with the broken neck and all, but I loved it up to there. Every year my hubby and I try to watch all the oscar nominated films. This year we did not get to see them all because they expended the movies from 5-10. So far to date and IMO, The King's Speech is worthy. It is simply awesome. Winter's Bone was very good, but not really an Oscar type movie. Inception was just ok. The Town was a very good movie, and not normally one that I would like-but I did. We are watching Social Network tomorrow. Hopefully we will get to 127 hours and Black Swan this week. Oh yeah, True Grit was very, very good. Just ran into the wrong year with being in the field with the King's Speech.

If you have Netflix, get Once. It is my alltime favorite come out of nowhere movie. Also Tshotsi. Yes, it's in subtitles, but you forget about that in about two minutes.

nm...

Totally erased. I wanted just the first 20 seconds of a Leaving Las Vegas clip so I could show a part where Nicolas Cage says "Maybe I shouldn't breathe so much, Terri!" Because my stupid friends and I have been saying that to each other for over a decade and a half now and we still think it's funny. We're idiots.

Long story short...vid had some nip in it. Which I saw only after I posted...it's a YouTube clip so I was pretty suprised actually.

Anyways...you're right. Con Air is on like 24 hours a day for some insane reason and that might be the worst movie since whatever came out last week. I've always liked Raising Arizona though.

nm...

Totally erased. I wanted just the first 20 seconds of a Leaving Las Vegas clip so I could show a part where Nicolas Cage says "Maybe I shouldn't breathe so much, Terri!" Because my stupid friends and I have been saying that to each other for over a decade and a half now and we still think it's funny. We're idiots.

Long story short...vid had some nip in it. Which I saw only after I posted...it's a YouTube clip so I was pretty suprised actually.

Anyways...you're right. Con Air is on like 24 hours a day for some insane reason and that might be the worst movie since whatever came out last week. I've always liked Raising Arizona though.

Not seeing it.

Anything with Nicolas Cage (and I mean ANYTHING):

Sucks

Amen brother, although I had to edit alittle of your sentence.

KRC1995: I will now have to make a mental note not to take your advice on movies. Nothing against you, but our tastes are way different. I hated True Grit and won't even consider watching Kings Speech. Loved Inception (a bit long though) and Grand Torino. I to am like you in some action movies. Hated transformers and the new James Bond movies are just horrible. Nothing about the new ones scream James Bond.

I to am a huge movie Critic but mine is all about the gore and horror. With that said, they do have to be worthy movies. Loved the new Friday the 13th but the new Nightmare on Elmstreet truly pissed me off.

Did watch Just Go With It and it was very funny. Haven't laughed so hard since The Hangover.

Anything with Nicolas Cage (and I mean ANYTHING):

Sucks

Amen brother, although I had to edit alittle of your sentence.

KRC1995: I will now have to make a mental note not to take your advice on movies. Nothing against you, but our tastes are way different. I hated True Grit and won't even consider watching Kings Speech. Loved Inception (a bit long though) and Grand Torino. I to am like you in some action movies. Hated transformers and the new James Bond movies are just horrible. Nothing about the new ones scream James Bond.

I to am a huge movie Critic but mine is all about the gore and horror. With that said, they do have to be worthy movies. Loved the new Friday the 13th but the new Nightmare on Elmstreet truly pissed me off.

Did watch Just Go With It and it was very funny. Haven't laughed so hard since The Hangover.

I see your point. I mean, I don't think those movies (the two I listed) are GREAT, (only really like HMIV for James Caan and the poker scene) but they definitely aren't on my favorites list.

Please share your knowledge of gore and horror movies. I love horror movies, but trying to find information on "good" horror movies (decent enough plot, actually scary, etc.) is kinda difficult.

Movie Reviews from this weekend:

I went into work both days and most of my friends were out of town so I was lame. Watched two entire movies (had seen both before).

Can't Buy Me Love: Young McDreamy buys a semi-hot chick, gets to hook up with hot 80s trim. Gets called out and sleeps in his garage. Bashes a school lunch table with a bat. Rides off into the sunset with first girl on his lawnmower. Grade: RAD - (mainly for: proves girls really can be bought, slutty 80s chicks, poop thrown on a house).

Cocktail: Young Tom wants to make it big, but is sidetracked by his somewhat profitable bar dexterity. Has a cool, British mentor. Sets up shop in Caribbean and deflowers a HOT Elizabethe Shue. Leaves Caribbean with rich, sorta MILF. Gets back with a pregnant Shue and takes over his uncle's bar. Grade: Cool + (mainly for: the awesomeness of Tom Cruise, my wanting to be in Jamaica right now, Gina Gershon asking for multiple orgasms).

Not seeing it.

Dunno what to tell you my man. I just watched that clip like ten times and thought it was hysterical. I did warn you, though. We're idiots. Thanks for posting it, though!

I'm not a Nick Cage at all but Leaving Las Vegas is a solid movie. Might be my favorite from Cage. Plus you get to see Elizabeth Shue in her birthday suit.

No..I mean didn't see the nip slip?

LLV was really sad to me..Not just because Elizabeth Shue waited a decade too long to show her Birthday suit either..The whole thing just seemed too dark. Is that what alcoholism is really like?

This one has been getting raves around here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5djHG3hPu0

Not seeing it.

Dunno what to tell you my man. I just watched that clip like ten times and thought it was hysterical. I did warn you, though. We're idiots. Thanks for posting it, though!

I'm not a Nick Cage at all but Leaving Las Vegas is a solid movie. Might be my favorite from Cage. Plus you get to see Elizabeth Shue in her birthday suit.

LLV was really sad to me..Not just because Elizabeth Shue waited a decade too long to show her Birthday suit either..The whole thing just seemed too dark. Is that what alcoholism is really like?

This one has been getting raves around here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5djHG3hPu0

The dark style is actually what made me like it. Seemed more real to me...although I don't have any experience with alcoholism behind weekend binge drinking.

I've also heard I am number 4 is good. Niles Paul tweeted saying it was awesome.

LLV was really sad to me..Not just because Elizabeth Shue waited a decade too long to show her Birthday suit either..The whole thing just seemed too dark.

Is that what alcoholism is really like?

Ahh, gotcha. I'll send you a link to it. You're gonna laugh when you see it...it's more than a slip. (Actually, it's kind of a rough scene tbh...he's in bad shape at a strip club.)

It can get really bad. Sometimes people can pull out of it, though. Sometimes.

huskerjock: The end of post #4, Hey Zeus. :cheers