Current State of Nebrasketball

Diaz is some of nebraska's problems. At 6'11" he cannot even be a consistent reboubder not to mention terrible ball handling skills

Come on, he's 2nd leading scorer and vital to the team. Let him gain 15 more pounds in the offseason and he will have more size/strength which will help a lot on rebounding. He's had a bad moment or two but he's definitely not one of the problems.

My ass he is vital to the team. Diaz is the worst big man I've ever watched play. He gets owned most games by players that are way smaller than him. He can't rebound worth a crap, he is clumsy, terrible ball handler, and he is about as bad as Shaq at free throws. The only compliment I can give him is that he has a decent quick hook shot that gets him points, but that is it. I don't think 15 pounds would do much good either. He could weigh as much as Almeida and he would still suck.

Yup, face it, diaz is soft. I think I have seen him dunk once. For gods sake you're 6'11 get some fire and rip the Freaking rim down. I'm tired of expecting this monster dunk and momentum swinger and then get a weak layup off the glass.

As far as doc, good coach I think. Bad recruiter. My only beef with him

Diaz is some of nebraska's problems. At 6'11" he cannot even be a consistent reboubder not to mention terrible ball handling skills

Come on, he's 2nd leading scorer and vital to the team. Let him gain 15 more pounds in the offseason and he will have more size/strength which will help a lot on rebounding. He's had a bad moment or two but he's definitely not one of the problems.

My ass he is vital to the team. Diaz is the worst big man I've ever watched play. He gets owned most games by players that are way smaller than him. He can't rebound worth a crap, he is clumsy, terrible ball handler, and he is about as bad as Shaq at free throws. The only compliment I can give him is that he has a decent quick hook shot that gets him points, but that is it. I don't think 15 pounds would do much good either. He could weigh as much as Almeida and he would still suck.

And your solution is to what, pay Jared Sullinger to come play here? I never said he was a dominating force inside, I simply said he's an important part of the team we have now.

My solution would be bench him. I don't think Almeida is very good either but Almeida is wayyyyy better than Diaz. I disagree that he is important to the team right now, every game I have watched this season, Nebraska plays better when he is not on the floor.

And your solution is to what, pay Jared Sullinger to come play here? I never said he was a dominating force inside, I simply said he's an important part of the team we have now.

My solution would be bench him. I don't think Almeida is very good either but Almeida is wayyyyy better than Diaz. I disagree that he is important to the team right now, every game I have watched this season, Nebraska plays better when he is not on the floor.

I'd say they are equal especially considering Almeida's conditioning issues which are just about the exact opposite of Diaz's. Diaz can't fight for rebounds; Andre can't run up and down the court for 6 minutes. Almeida finds himself out of position on defense quite a lot too (although he is getting a lot better at that. And FWIW I do think that Almeida has more potential than Diaz does.) I have been to 15+ games this season, and I have seen no evidence that Nebraska is a worse team with Diaz out there, and clearly Doc hasn't either. So I am going to say I disagree with you and leave it at that.

I'd say they are equal especially considering Almeida's conditioning issues which are just about the exact opposite of Diaz's. Diaz can't fight for rebounds; Andre can't run up and down the court for 6 minutes. Almeida finds himself out of position on defense quite a lot too (although he is getting a lot better at that. And FWIW I do think that Almeida has more potential than Diaz does.) I have been to 15+ games this season, and I have seen no evidence that Nebraska is a worse team with Diaz out there, and clearly Doc hasn't either. So I am going to say I disagree with you and leave it at that.

Well agree to disagree. Almeida actually requires the opponents defense to pay more attention to him when the huskers are on offense because no one could stop him from backing in all the way to the hoop by themselves. This allows more athletic players on the husker team get better scoring opportunities. Nobody needs any extra help to stop Diaz, so we don't get as many opportunities to get better scoring looks when he is in the game. Plus once Diaz gets the ball in the post, nobody will see the ball until the next possession. He either turns the ball over, shoots a quick hook shot, or gets fouled only so he can miss two free throws.

Well agree to disagree. Almeida actually requires the opponents defense to pay more attention to him when the huskers are on offense because no one could stop him from backing in all the way to the hoop by themselves. This allows more athletic players on the husker team get better scoring opportunities. Nobody needs any extra help to stop Diaz, so we don't get as many opportunities to get better scoring looks when he is in the game. Plus once Diaz gets the ball in the post, nobody will see the ball until the next possession. He either turns the ball over, shoots a quick hook shot, or gets fouled only so he can miss two free throws.

I haven't been a fan of Diaz this year. That being said, I still think he has some upside. The two things that are holding him back is his strength and toughness. This guy needs to hit the weight room again this offseason and have a mental overhaul. He's a good/decent player but if he decides it he could be great. Andre could as well if he drops his weight to 280 like he wants to

Actually, Diaz requires attention as well. Sometimes he inexplicably takes an ugly fade away hook shot, but he's also backed guys down very often. Without Diaz on the floor, this team would not have 7 conference wins. He may be frustrating to watch, but that doesn't change the fact that Nebraska needs him. Look at the KSU game - NU lost a close one to a really good team. Why? Because Diaz was unable to finish. When he is able to finish, Nebraska wins more often than not. Do you really think Doc would continue to give him 30+ minutes if he had a better option?

Actually, Diaz requires attention as well. Sometimes he inexplicably takes an ugly fade away hook shot, but he's also backed guys down very often. Without Diaz on the floor, this team would not have 7 conference wins. He may be frustrating to watch, but that doesn't change the fact that Nebraska needs him. Look at the KSU game - NU lost a close one to a really good team. Why? Because Diaz was unable to finish. When he is able to finish, Nebraska wins more often than not. Do you really think Doc would continue to give him 30+ minutes if he had a better option?

Exactly. Nobody thinks that Diaz is a dominating post player. He's a big guy that uses his length to score the ball. And look at the improvement from last year to this year. He busted his ass in the offseason to gain 25 pounds (lets see any poster on here gain that much muscle in a year). If he can do that again, he'll probably improve some more, which would be nice. He's no Alex Maric, but the team still needs him. Saying that the team's 2nd leading scorer is a problem area for us is a bit ridiculous.

Exactly. Nobody thinks that Diaz is a dominating post player. He's a big guy that uses his length to score the ball. And look at the improvement from last year to this year. He busted his ass in the offseason to gain 25 pounds (lets see any poster on here gain that much muscle in a year). If he can do that again, he'll probably improve some more, which would be nice. He's no Alex Maric, but the team still needs him. Saying that the team's 2nd leading scorer is a problem area for us is a bit ridiculous.

+1

Finally some people who actually understand schematics and the game of basketball, not just sweet dunks and behind the back passes. Yes those are fun and happen and create momentum. Diaz is the second leading scorer and should be on the floor when at all possible. I like the new look with both big men, they can clear paths. Rebounding aside Diaz plays well for what he does, good role player, and he plays good defense and keeps his man in front of him.

Diaz has improved, but my problem with him is not that he isn't a great player. My problem is that he doesn't play with the same aggression that many of his teammates do. Brandon Ubel has many of the same limitations as Diaz does, but Ubel gets after it. Diaz doesn't.

Diaz also makes lots of dumb mistakes, but so does everyone else on our team. I mean, that's basically what makes it Nebraska basketball.