Current State of Nebrasketball

I'll apologize in advance for the length of this post and don't blame anyone for not reading it, it gets a little lengthy

Since the K-State game I have pretty well refrained from doing any talking about Husker basketball, but that doesn't mean I haven't been thinking about it. In fact, it's pretty much all that's been on my mind lately. I've done some discussing with close friends, but mostly have tried to just listen and read and see what others are thinking. It appears as though I'm in an increasing minority so I spent the last few days doing a lot of research and it has only made my opinions stronger.

I don't think anyone can disagree that from Feb. 19th to the 23rd, people were high on the potential of this team and were in general fairly satisfied with what was happening in the Bob. Now let's look at what has happened since then. Nebraska lost to K-State. The same K-State team that is on a 5 game winning streak including wins over KU and Texas and has won 7 of it's last 8 with the lone loss coming when a game winning shot was waived off. In it's current 5 game streak (again, that includes wins over KU and at Texas), Nebraska has been KSU's closest game. Was the KSU loss disappointing? Absolutely! But KSU will most likely finish 4th in the league, make a big run in KC and undoubtedly make a lot of noise in the big dance. Say what you will about it being "typical Nebraska basketball," but frankly winning that game was a taller order than beating Texas. My point here is that this loss should not have been enough to crash the party, but understandably most fans took it very hard.

Now the ISU game. There is no excuse for losing that game, let me make that clear. That being said, this was a trap game if there's ever been one. NU had 2 EXTREMELY emotional games in a row, winning against Texas and then losing such a close game to KSU that had SO much hype. This team was emotionally drained and quite honestly the biggest contributors on this years team were put in a situation they haven't experienced before; having to come back after an emotional loss and pick up a must-win to stay in NCAA talk in late February. Again, this loss is inexcusable but not unbelievable. It was one loss at a tough time, it's just magnified because so much was on the line. In terms of this season, the loss was huge. In terms of what Doc is still building, just a minor set back. Let's be honest, the only way they were going to sniff the dance was to show up to play in KC and that's still a possibility. When it comes to building this program, the important thing here is not that they missed out on a chance to make the dance (where they would have lost a play in game). What's going to build this program is the way they respond to the ISU loss. Other than Jeter all these guys are back next year and not throwing in the towel after an extremely tough week emotionally will only stengthen them for next year.

Here's the issue that's been irking me the most. I have read on message boards, but more so heard it from people in person, about the hating on Diaz. People that want to blame Saturday's loss on Diaz are way off. Did he inexplicably lose the ball at the end of the game? Absolutely. Would Nebraska have been in that position to win if Diaz weren't playing? No freaking way. The guy had 18 points and 9 offensive boards. 9 offensive boards. On a day when the rest of the team was content sitting oustide jacking up shots hoping they would stay hot, Diaz was the one player ready to grind it out. Give the guy a freaking break. As much as Jeter was carrying the team, Diaz was damn sure doing more than his fair share. And for those of us (yes I'll include myself even though since the Manhattan trip I have believed Diaz has been playing with fire even if we couldn't always see it) for those of us who have ragged on him for never looking like he cares - he's proven us wrong. In the last handful of games he has gotten into it with the Morris twins, chucked water bottles down the bench, yelled at teammates and yelled at coaches. Anyone questioning his desire from here on out deserves a Diaz fist to the face. Another common rip on him that I am hearing is his consistently missing layups. Again, this is ridiculous. He had a putrid game against KSU, yes. Other than that game, he has been fairly reliable down low. Husker fans seem to think big guys never miss layups so when Diaz or AA or Ubel does it, it's unbelievable. Guess what, big guys don't shoot 80% like everyone seems to believe. Diaz is shooting 47%. That number is lower than what Doc and Diaz and fans would like it to be, but it's not the unbelievably low number that many people are making it out to be. Among guys in the Big 12 that make 5 buckets a game, only 5 have a better percentage. (To be fair, Diaz doesn't quite average 5 buckets a game, but he is right there). The most important thing to remember about him is that he is a sophomore with a lot of room to grow. He has an amazing skill set and just needs to get stronger. Think back to when you were 20. At that age, one year of growth can be pretty drastic. The kid has been playing his heart out and doesn't deserve a fraction of the criticism he has received. He has a lot to improve on, but he's no worse than any of the other projects on this team.

Despite last year's record and the slip that has happened this past week, Doc has this program going in the right direction. You can't honestly expect a program with 0 tradition to become a power overnight. This thing is going to take 7-8 years to get to where it is annually competing to finish in the top 5 of a conference. It just is. You can turn around a program in a year if you want to get dirty, but it's not even worth mentioning anymore because Tom and Doc have made it so obviously clear that it is simply not going to happen. There are new recruiters on this staff, new facilities on the way and a new conference that will favorable shift the recruiting geographically speaking. Doc has 3 3-stars (sad, but for a program like NU this is a small victory) with the potential of another good pick up or two depening on what he wants to do with schollies. A quick glance for next year will show that 8 of the Rivals Top 150 have NU on their interest lists. Kids are starting to look. This isn't to say that 3 of them will commit, or even 1 for that matter, but getting them to look is the first part of the battle and frankly it's the toughest part. If you can get 10 of those top tier kids to give you a look every year, it's only a matter of time (especially with the allure of new facilities and a better recruiting base) before one of them pulls the trigger. And what has everyone been saying? Doc just needs that one player that can finally push them over the hump, a kid that can make the shots in the closing minutes. Those kids are becoming more and more interested, it's only a matter of time.

I had planned on getting into next year's roster as well, but I've already written a book and a half, so I'll cut it off here. I'll probably get accused of being a sunshine pumper, but whatever. Things are moving glacier-slow right now. Some of the losses Doc has endured these 5 years are inexcusable, yes. But you aren't going to get a better coach for the job, not right now anyway. The bottom line is if you step back and look at this program as a whole and all that it has been in the past, you cannot deny that since Doc has taken over things have improved. You may not be seeing much in the way of wins yet, but if you look at this thing fairly you'll see a foundation is slowly being poured. IMHO, the future is looking a little brighter now than it was 6 or 7 years ago, it's just really tough to see past these hard losses.

• Fire 1

bball- with all due respect, i have been drinking the kool-aid far too long. The crowd for K-State gave me great hope that the "fans" are returning to the Bob just like the swallows to San Juan Capistrano I have been attending games religiously since 85 and really miss the 10,000+ plus fans that religiously at the Devaney, regardless of who we were playing...(the new arena will only help in the short term- look at Creighton, their attendance is fallen just the Stars Hockey) What I am hearing out there is Doc is a great guy, just like Barry Collier was( I liked the last 3 coaches, anyone but Moe). He needs his recruits and he needs more time. Nebraska will never be a basketball/baseball school (or you can insert that outstanding baseball coach Mike Anderson for any of the above comments). That said, my personal take- if a coach is worth his weight at this level, I truly believe he/she can turn around a basketball program in 3 years. We can mock K-State with Bob Huggins, but he did help put them back in the Big 12 discussion. I can not condone if he did it the right way etc... I am sure many outsiders could look at the Devaney recruiting years and find somethings that are not too kosher. K-State had a nice run in the 90's (short term) with Dana Altman. Now, did they establish themselves as a powerhouse? Hell fricking no. Doc is making some decent money --$800,000(before the additional half million in incentives) is nothing to sneeze at for living in Nebraska and not having a winning percentage above 65% (if u thrown out Peru State college, Milford, Wayne etc..). Is it on par with Duke, North Carolina- no. Today's LJS in an interview with Doc- Doc mentioned TO is a giant fan and he has nothing to worry about (again insert Anderson). TO is still harboring feelings from when he was a coach and couldn't beat OU or a bowl game (ever hear of a Nebraska fan over reacting to a 2 loss season?) and some people wanted his head on a platter. So his take with baseball/basketball coaches is, let's give them time, we don't have any major recruiting violations, the kids are graduating, etc (remember he was going to give Clownahan more time as well)... TO is admirable, but I do not believe he lives in reality of how those sports were starting to grow in fan base and both have once again slipped into more of a mature audience (no growth and dying). I will burn in Husker hell for that last line, but I can not write it any other way. Part of that may be that its 2;30 AM and Iack political correctness. TO is the last person I believe wants Nebraska sports to fall off the map. And Obama doesn't want to hurt the American economy. But their actions speak differently to me. And charlie Sheen passed his last drug test.- at least he gets to sue CBS for 320 million in emotional distress- what could us basketball fans ask for?

Is there a solution and do I have one? No,I like Doc and "just wait till next year" has become our mantra. We as fans will just have to accept mediocrity for any sport outside of football, bowling, women's rifle team, and volleyball. So each year, when a ticket for football has to increase a few bucks a game, remember it is to help pick up the slack from Nebraska's fringe sports.

Bi polar much??? What happened to f6ck Nebraska, f6ck jeter, f6ck doc, etc..? Which by the way was the most ridiculous post ever. F6ck jeter? Really? Nobody should be there to boo tonight...we should be there for support and be thankful for the improvement over previous years...and the biggest applause should go to lance jeter.

Bi polar much??? What happened to f6ck Nebraska, f6ck jeter, f6ck doc, etc..? Which by the way was the most ridiculous post ever. F6ck jeter? Really? Nobody should be there to boo tonight...we should be there for support and be thankful for the improvement over previous years...and the biggest applause should go to lance jeter.

Just a love/hate relationship... no football team on earth has made me want to punch walls like my Huskers. Passion is a strange drug.

You've never ranted because you were mad, not meaning any of it, just yelled to vent?

Read any of my posts, I'm the biggest Husker Hoops supporter you'll find.

Also, that thread was created for a reaction to the KSU game; a game in which, at one point, Lance had 4 turnovers and 0 assists. He didn't exactly play his A game. Obviously Lance has been the heart of this team, I was just venting, I assumed that would be understood but I guess things can be interpreted many ways when you are reading them rather than actually conversing.

You've never ranted because you were mad, not meaning any of it, just yelled to vent?

Don't sweat it... plenty of 'backer' backers out here...

(I leave to get my gang to the game in 20 minutes.)

Don't sweat it... plenty of 'backer' backers out here...

(I leave to get my gang to the game in 20 minutes.)

Me, too!

Here's to NU going out the right way in their final Big XII home game. I've got a good feeling...

But KSU will most likely finish 4th in the league, make a big run in KC and undoubtedly make a lot of noise in the big dance. Say what you will about it being "typical Nebraska basketball," but frankly winning that game was a taller order than beating Texas. My point here is that this loss should not have been enough to crash the party, but understandably most fans took it very hard.

Gotta disagree with ya on this one. KSU was a much better matchup athleticly for NU. Yes the Wildcats have been hot of late, but Texas was on fire prior to Nebraska.

Now the ISU game. There is no excuse for losing that game, let me make that clear. That being said, this was a trap game if there's ever been one. NU had 2 EXTREMELY emotional games in a row, winning against Texas and then losing such a close game to KSU that had SO much hype. This team was emotionally drained and quite honestly the biggest contributors on this years team were put in a situation they haven't experienced before; having to come back after an emotional loss and pick up a must-win to stay in NCAA talk in late February. Again, this loss is inexcusable but not unbelievable. And for those of us (yes

This was not a trap game. NU knew it more or less had to win out to get in the Tourney. If they really wanted in, emotionally drained can never be an excuse. I don't buy it. What do you think would be more draining the last four games of the season or trying to win four games in four days to get into the tourney, and then trying to perfotm well there. The ISU game falls under the same broken record of not playing well on the road, playing to the level of the opponent, and a team looking unprepared and unmotivated.

I'll include myself even though since the Manhattan trip I have believed Diaz has been playing with fire even if we couldn't always see it) for those of us who have ragged on him for never looking like he cares - he's proven us wrong.

Yes there has been fire of late. But until there is some semblence of consistancy I srill won't bite. 9 offensive rebounds is crazy(i was certain it had to be a typo) but where was/has he been on the defensive boards? One of the things that kill this team are opponents 2nd chance points, and with a 6'11" guy down low it is inexcusable that he never has more. Take some of that fire he is showing and use it to not get shoved under the basket by opponents.

Other than that, backer you bring some good points as usual.

im still behind Doc, although im ducking these days and covering my face when i see the flash go off.

68 or whatever (how many is it now, i truly cant keep track) basketball teams make the ncaa tourney... out of 347

70 football teams make bowl games... out of 120.

this immediately leads me to believe nebraska fans have an unnatural slant towards expecting success out of their basketball team...as we are without a doubt a football school. i enjoyed the mini-week of ncaa hype provided by a win over texas...which prior to there was absolutely no talk of making the tourney. thats where you have to find your victories...that chance, like hundred of other mediocre basketball programs do. doc and the boys blew it, sure...but some of you act surprised that a team that was below .500 in league play before texas was somehow expected to finish out the last games at 1.000 or .750 after, or else, are insane. calling for his head is far from the answer.

Diaz is some of nebraska's problems. At 6'11" he cannot even be a consistent reboubder not to mention terrible ball handling skills

Come on, he's 2nd leading scorer and vital to the team. Let him gain 15 more pounds in the offseason and he will have more size/strength which will help a lot on rebounding. He's had a bad moment or two but he's definitely not one of the problems.

Gotta disagree with ya on this one. KSU was a much better matchup athleticly for NU. Yes the Wildcats have been hot of late, but Texas was on fire prior to Nebraska.

This was not a trap game. NU knew it more or less had to win out to get in the Tourney. If they really wanted in, emotionally drained can never be an excuse. I don't buy it. What do you think would be more draining the last four games of the season or trying to win four games in four days to get into the tourney, and then trying to perfotm well there. The ISU game falls under the same broken record of not playing well on the road, playing to the level of the opponent, and a team looking unprepared and unmotivated.

Yes there has been fire of late. But until there is some semblence of consistancy I srill won't bite. 9 offensive rebounds is crazy(i was certain it had to be a typo) but where was/has he been on the defensive boards? One of the things that kill this team are opponents 2nd chance points, and with a 6'11" guy down low it is inexcusable that he never has more. Take some of that fire he is showing and use it to not get shoved under the basket by opponents.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the KSU/Texas comparison, I was lookin at KSU as the "cornered, wounded animal" which I find extremely scarey.

I guess I'm of the opinion that just because you know it's a must win doesn't mean it's not a trap game. I understand they're two different sports, but the best way I can explain my thinking is with a football metaphore: in football every game is a must win, yet you hear about trap games all the time. I agree emotionally drained is no excuse, but I still believe it was a trap game. You just played two top 50 RPI teams and had a third one coming up, wedged in between there was cellar-dweller ISU.

I completely understand what you're saying about Diaz. I've just come to peace with the fact that this team relies on it's guards to rebound. Right or wrong, I don't know, but NU has been outrebounding it's opponents of late. We know Diaz isn't going to get boards, it's not his game, but without his inside presence - and yes, as inconsisten as he is he is still a presence, teams HAVE to account for him - this team would really struggle to score.

I'm not arguing any of your points, they're all good, just trying to better explain where I was coming from.

Diaz is some of nebraska's problems. At 6'11" he cannot even be a consistent reboubder not to mention terrible ball handling skills

Come on, he's 2nd leading scorer and vital to the team. Let him gain 15 more pounds in the offseason and he will have more size/strength which will help a lot on rebounding. He's had a bad moment or two but he's definitely not one of the problems.

My ass he is vital to the team. Diaz is the worst big man I've ever watched play. He gets owned most games by players that are way smaller than him. He can't rebound worth a crap, he is clumsy, terrible ball handler, and he is about as bad as Shaq at free throws. The only compliment I can give him is that he has a decent quick hook shot that gets him points, but that is it. I don't think 15 pounds would do much good either. He could weigh as much as Almeida and he would still suck.

My ass he is vital to the team. Diaz is the worst big man I've ever watched play. He gets owned most games by players that are way smaller than him. He can't rebound worth a crap, he is clumsy, terrible ball handler, and he is about as bad as Shaq at free throws. The only compliment I can give him is that he has a decent quick hook shot that gets him points, but that is it. I don't think 15 pounds would do much good either. He could weigh as much as Almeida and he would still suck.

And your solution is to what, pay Jared Sullinger to come play here? I never said he was a dominating force inside, I simply said he's an important part of the team we have now.