Taylor Martinez Needs to be a Stronger Finisher!

I saw a young kid trying to run a passing game that apparently was not compatible with the running attack. It appears he was coached only to drop back to pass and not roll out. This perhaps is part of the reason why he looked so ineffective throwing on the run ... or perhaps it's something that's not natural for him to do. All I know is he needs to improve in this area to run Beck's offense. And hopefully maturity will seep in and he shows more leadership on the field.

Another problem perhaps was Watson's limitations of the zone read. Except on one occasion in the Idaho game, the loaded zone read (triple option) was non-existent, and there appeared to be no play-action passes out of it. So coaching perhaps was part of his struggles, but maybe not all of it.

As far as his injuries, he had two bad games when he was healthy -- South Dakota State and UT. SDSU was the first red flag that something was wrong with our offense, but a lot of us choose to ignore it.

I would expect that Beck will play to T.M.'s strengths ... but I would think he still needs to throw rolling out and on the run. It will be interesting to see if he develops this skill and if he interacts more with the players.

And yet.... We scored more points against them than anyone else did.

Taylor had the BEST season ever as a freshman QB at Nebraska. Better than Frazier and Crouch. Yet, he played against tougher competition and on a weaker team. They beat 2 top 11 teams, one on the road, and we hadn't beaten even one in a decade. He set a freshman single game passing record for TD's and yards, and a QB rushing record. And he did it with an OC who didn't want him as the starter, and didn't like the offense.

Some of you people are ridiculous.

AMEN!! I don't think some people realize how much more he did than any Freshman QB ever did before.

Spart,

I will agree on the SDSU game. I had questions after it, but chocked it up to lack of concentration on the players and staff, Texas the kid hit reciever after reciever in the hands, with drops happening more than panties during spring break.

But I do not blame all the offensive problems on TM. Oline that could not block, WR that dropped balls continously and a OC that did not call plays to put him a position to win. Not rolling out seemed to something the kid should be able to do, but it seemed it was drop back and take the fetal position if all was not well.

Bob, I agree with the UT game. The the whole offense helped make T.M. look bad, let alone the receivers. But it seemed that Watson's schemes, especially the passing game, didn't play to his strengths. He's the type of QB that needs to be comfortable running around, and Wats didn't seem to teach that. Thus that had to be part of the problem that he looked so poor throwing when forced out of the pocket ... we will find out if this is a skill he can learn and become a threat at it.