Another JUCO offer

I'm on the fence with Doc, to be honest, but seriously, even if they are lower-class high school recruits, they are still HIGH SCHOOL RECRUITS! they have at least 1-2 more years to develop than a Juco, and you're offering a scholarship to the 4th leading scorer on a juco team to play the 2-guard? what's the idea here? I don't care if he's the only one, Mike Gesell needs to be priority #1 for this coaching staff. My personal preference: get Gesell, Sioux City Center Adam Woodbury, and another Forward, perhaps Dorial Green-Beckham, who is a highly rated football player, so if he joined the program for football, his basketball talent is a nice add-on. If not, then get a lower-rated player or a JUCO, preferably as a Walk-On. Then, in 2013, do whatever it takes to get Forward Akoy Agau, who could be just as good as Gesell, only a forward. With Gesell and Agau, you could literally change the landscape as we know it of Nebrasketball. Make it happen Doc!

For starters, your claim that HS recruits are better because they have 1-2 more years to develop is ridiculous, JUCO players don't NEED to develop, they've been developing for 1-2 years in Junior College, this is why they come in as immediate starters. Secondly, you just ripped Doc for taking JUCO players, and then said you want him to go after JUCO guy. What is that? Finally, Doc brought in 3 HS players this year, which is great. Now he's adding a couple JUCO guys to fill immediate voids or improve some positions. This ain't Duke or KU, there's not depth yet. Doc HAS to get at least one HS kid a year, prefferably 3, but he also needs to get a JUCO or 2 until he gets some better depth. In basketball there are very few scholarships, 2 HS players a year will eventually lead to depth.

I definitely get your points, and I don't have problems with getting JUCO players, as long as they can come in and be an immediate impact. Why get a JUCO player if he isn't going to play or start for you? This is the problem I have with this Glover kid, who is the 4th leading scorer on his JUCO team (a low level of competition, compared to what we'll be facing in the Big 10) and it seems like they're going after him as a SG, which I just don't understand.

As I said, your points are valid, and I guess if you're in football mode, 2 players on your recruiting class doesn't look good, :). anyways, I do commend Doc for getting 3 solid HS players, and I hope they all do well, because I am a big basketball fan, and I want Nebrasketball to succeed, so I don't go and see what Creighton's doing or what UNO will be doing in the Summit League. Sometimes things just don't work out with a coach, and this may be one of those times. I still think Doc is a great coach, who just doesn't have the resources here. But I think for the next couple years, if you can keep NE kids home (Gesell and Agau) you can turn this program around. So yes, I agree with you here, and I probably shouldn't expect much, it is Nebraska, after all.

On a side note, in this 2011 recruiting class, with Corey Hilliard, Josiah Moore, and David Rivers, it also lists Zach Sterup, the football recruit, as a B-Ball recruit as well, as a Center, I think. Any chance this guy actually plays basketball, and if so, will he see the court? Cause he's a big body, and if he can be the next Almeida, well, when Andre gets tired, bring in the other BOUNCER, :)

On a side note, in this 2011 recruiting class, with Corey Hilliard, Josiah Moore, and David Rivers, it also lists Zach Sterup, the football recruit, as a B-Ball recruit as well, as a Center, I think. Any chance this guy actually plays basketball, and if so, will he see the court? Cause he's a big body, and if he can be the next Almeida, well, when Andre gets tired, bring in the other BOUNCER, :)

No. 95% sure this has already has been discussed between Bo and Zach. Zach needs to gain weight and muscle as a redshirt. Believe Zach doesn't even want to play bball

I'll agree that going after this kid seems a bit odd, but has anyone here watched him play? He may have only been the 4th leading scorer because he was asked to do things other than score. Perhaps he's a terrific shooter but for whatever reason his JUCO coach thought he had a couple other guys that could shoot as well but this Glover kid was tremendous on defense so he asked him to put his focus on that end of the court. To just assume that any coach at the DI level is dumb enough to recruit a student manager (which is what you guys are making Glover out to be) to be a scorer (which is what you are guys are assuming he's coming in to be) seems a bit of a stretch.

He's a freshman at the JUCO so he'll be a 3 year player.

Here's a press release from last May when he didn't clear the NCAA (he had screwed up transcripts)

Generals sign big-time PG out of California, Matt Glover (Tustin, HS)

Sheridan, WY – Sheridan College head men's basketball coach Steve Smiley announced today the signing of California native Matthew Glover to a national letter of intent.

Glover, a 6-4, 190-pound guard from Tustin High School in Tustin, California, averaged 18.6 points per game along with 6.1 assists and 7.5 rebounds while leading his team to a 20-7 record. Glover was selected All-League First Team. As well as, All-Orange County Second Team and All-CIF Second Team. Glover scored over 20 points in 14 games this year including a triple double performance vs. University High School where Glover dropped 40 points, pulled down 13 rebounds, and dished out 11 assists.

““Matt is a very unique player, in that he has great size for a guard and can play multiple positions. We plan on playing him at both guard spots, and realistically, he could play some small forward if needed because of his size & strength. Matt is a true point guard in the long run, though, and will be a match-up problem on both sides of the ball. The thing that we really like about Matt is his great court vision to find other players, and he can create shots for himself when needed. He should have an immediate impact on our program. We’re thrilled to sign a player of his caliber, and he will be a great addition to our community because he is a great kid!”

Here's one from when he opened recruiting up in March after being cleared to play D-1 Ball.

Matt Glover 6-4 shooting guard/ small forward

Sheridan JC WY

13 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assist, 1 steal, 39% field goal, 30% 3pt field goal 71% free-throw

Years of eligibility: 3 years

Recruiting Notes: Glover was a highly recruited high school senior last year who transcripts were all messed up. It was clear that he would get an answer from the NCAA Clearing house about his eligibility this fall so he enrolled at Sheridan. I had one source tell me that the Bobcat coaches placed him at Sheridan, other say no. The Bobcat coaches have been recruiting him for awhile. The Bobcats are/were in pretty good with him but San Diego, Fresno St, Idaho, Santa Clara, and San Francisco have also been heavily involved. Last week he was cleared by the NCAA to play next year for a D-1 club and his recruitment has since taken off. Iowa, Rutgers, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Creighton, Washington State, Clemson and Boston College are now getting involved. Again he is a “we will see” prospect.

Player Summary: Glover is a true point guard who can shoot well enough that he can play the shooting guard spot. He is also athletic and strong enough that he can swing to the small forward if needed. He capable of big scoring nights having hit 30 a couple times this season. The fact he is 6-4, point and will have three year eligibility is what has all the big schools excited.

Colleges Interested: Leaders, San Diego, Fresno St, Idaho, Santa Clara, Montana State, and San Francisco. Also offered by Long Beach State, and Sacramento State. Just started recruiting Iowa, Rutgers, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Creighton, Washington State, Clemson and Boston College.

here's a quote from a Sheridan fan about the kid

"Matt’s a good player. When he came into Sheridan we heard about all the hype, and expected a great player, but haven’t consistently seen “greatness.” He definitely has all the tools and I think has been hindered this year by a couple of post players who don’t catch the ball well at times. He needs to be more aggressive. He has great ball skills, but sometimes the desire fades in games."

Here's a link to his HS film

Long arms, Athletic, can run, shoot and play a little D. Looks like a legit PG option to me. - And he actually can get above the rim.. which not many guys we have now can even seem do. I'm not sure about his JUCO stats but he looks like he could be ok.

• Fire 1

He's a freshman at the JUCO so he'll be a 3 year player.

Here's a press release from last May when he didn't clear the NCAA (he had screwed up transcripts)

Generals sign big-time PG out of California, Matt Glover (Tustin, HS)

Sheridan, WY – Sheridan College head men's basketball coach Steve Smiley announced today the signing of California native Matthew Glover to a national letter of intent.

Glover, a 6-4, 190-pound guard from Tustin High School in Tustin, California, averaged 18.6 points per game along with 6.1 assists and 7.5 rebounds while leading his team to a 20-7 record. Glover was selected All-League First Team. As well as, All-Orange County Second Team and All-CIF Second Team. Glover scored over 20 points in 14 games this year including a triple double performance vs. University High School where Glover dropped 40 points, pulled down 13 rebounds, and dished out 11 assists.

““Matt is a very unique player, in that he has great size for a guard and can play multiple positions. We plan on playing him at both guard spots, and realistically, he could play some small forward if needed because of his size & strength. Matt is a true point guard in the long run, though, and will be a match-up problem on both sides of the ball. The thing that we really like about Matt is his great court vision to find other players, and he can create shots for himself when needed. He should have an immediate impact on our program. We’re thrilled to sign a player of his caliber, and he will be a great addition to our community because he is a great kid!”

Here's one from when he opened recruiting up in March after being cleared to play D-1 Ball.

Matt Glover 6-4 shooting guard/ small forward

Sheridan JC WY

13 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assist, 1 steal, 39% field goal, 30% 3pt field goal 71% free-throw

Years of eligibility: 3 years

Recruiting Notes: Glover was a highly recruited high school senior last year who transcripts were all messed up. It was clear that he would get an answer from the NCAA Clearing house about his eligibility this fall so he enrolled at Sheridan. I had one source tell me that the Bobcat coaches placed him at Sheridan, other say no. The Bobcat coaches have been recruiting him for awhile. The Bobcats are/were in pretty good with him but San Diego, Fresno St, Idaho, Santa Clara, and San Francisco have also been heavily involved. Last week he was cleared by the NCAA to play next year for a D-1 club and his recruitment has since taken off. Iowa, Rutgers, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Creighton, Washington State, Clemson and Boston College are now getting involved. Again he is a “we will see” prospect.

Player Summary: Glover is a true point guard who can shoot well enough that he can play the shooting guard spot. He is also athletic and strong enough that he can swing to the small forward if needed. He capable of big scoring nights having hit 30 a couple times this season. The fact he is 6-4, point and will have three year eligibility is what has all the big schools excited.

Colleges Interested: Leaders, San Diego, Fresno St, Idaho, Santa Clara, Montana State, and San Francisco. Also offered by Long Beach State, and Sacramento State. Just started recruiting Iowa, Rutgers, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Creighton, Washington State, Clemson and Boston College.

here's a quote from a Sheridan fan about the kid

"Matt’s a good player. When he came into Sheridan we heard about all the hype, and expected a great player, but haven’t consistently seen “greatness.” He definitely has all the tools and I think has been hindered this year by a couple of post players who don’t catch the ball well at times. He needs to be more aggressive. He has great ball skills, but sometimes the desire fades in games."

Here's a link to his HS film

Long arms, Athletic, can run, shoot and play a little D. Looks like a legit PG option to me. - And he actually can get above the rim.. which not many guys we have now can even seem do. I'm not sure about his JUCO stats but he looks like he could be ok.

Good stuff. Amazing what you can find when you look into it, but I guess for most people it's just easier to assume Doc is a dumb@ss...

Hey, it's not like we're the recruiting experts here, :) I will trust Doc whole-heartedly with his choices for players, especially considering how hard it is to recruit at a school that has no basketball tradition whatsoever. Now, going off stats alone, and trying to give constructive criticism, this one baffles me a bit, mainly because I would think he would be brought in as a SG, but if it's a PG, I actually kinda like this move, just think it may create a logjam with Spencer, Richardson, Hilliard, Gallegos (for now), and this guy. But if Gallegos leaves and Spencer is declared ineligible, I could understand this.

In any case, I just want the program to succeed, and if Doc feels that these guys are the right guys, then I'm all for it. They just need to show us that Doc was right in giving these guys scholarships and deserve them, unlike certain players (Niemann, Diaz)

Hey, it's not like we're the recruiting experts here, :) I will trust Doc whole-heartedly with his choices for players, especially considering how hard it is to recruit at a school that has no basketball tradition whatsoever. Now, going off stats alone, and trying to give constructive criticism, this one baffles me a bit, mainly because I would think he would be brought in as a SG, but if it's a PG, I actually kinda like this move, just think it may create a logjam with Spencer, Richardson, Hilliard, Gallegos (for now), and this guy. But if Gallegos leaves and Spencer is declared ineligible, I could understand this.

In any case, I just want the program to succeed, and if Doc feels that these guys are the right guys, then I'm all for it. They just need to show us that Doc was right in giving these guys scholarships and deserve them, unlike certain players (Niemann, Diaz)

I love how adults come on the internet and berate and bemoan at the skills of 18-19-20 year old kids (when they know next to nothing about any of them) and then when someone shows a few quotes and a video of the kid maybe not being that bad the "it's not like we're experts here" crap comes out.

Sorry, but that's BS. If you aren't "experts" than you probably shouldn't be throwing kids under the bus over the internet in the first place. Many of the recruits do read the boards of the schools that are pursing them after all.

• Fire 1

Apparently we had a juco guard out of Maryland visit this week. His name is Anthony Hubbard and seems pretty promising, averaged over 20 points and 10 rebounds this past year. Seems very athletic.

He says he has moved Nebraska to the top of his list and had other offers from Iowa, Penn State, and Rutgers.

Rivals Profile

I have a hard time believing he'd actually like Lincoln. He said he had to switch cities once already because he was getting bored which could lead to him getting in trouble again... there aren't many cities with less to do than Lincoln... but I'd love to have him.