Another JUCO offer

This is how Nebrasketball reaches such extravagant heights. THIS is the fundamental problem with nebraska basketball and Doc Sadler. I understand that this guy may turn out to be a stud, but I just don't think the odds are that great. I also understand that we have some major recruiting hurdles to overcome... but every year there are teams in the Tournament with even larger hurdles than Nebraska.

http://omaha.com/article/20110325/BIGRED/703259785#wyoming-juco-guard-gets-nu-scholarship-offer

This is the crap that got Doc in the limbo roster and recruiting wise early in his career here. Relying way to much on JUCO's. And he wonders why he has trouble creating chemestry on the team. Remember for every Lance Jeter, and maybe Caleb Walker and Andre Almeida, there are about ten Cole-Hankins, Pings, and the tall goofy kid from the Wyoming Juco that could only shoot the 3 and was hurt a lot(name slips my mind). NU seems to have more JUCO busts than anyone else in the country.

Lightning rarely comes twice in a bottle Doc, go find your next Lance Jeter in the High School ranks. Oh, and put all your efforts into hitting up South Sioux City High for the next year. Mike Gesell can easily be a Nate Funk/Kurt Hinrich type player, but maybe better because of the team he'd be on.

If he ends up a shooting guard, which is what he plays now, this is an awful decision by the coaching staff to get him. Shooting guards tend to be the leading scorers on teams and no offense to him but if he ends being the 4th leading scorer on his team and shoots not even 30% from the field then no wonder we are in the position we are in. Everyone blames the players we have for the reason we cant win but look at the guys we are going after. This is a stupid decision IMO but then again I havent seen him play.

He has had academic issues in the past as well so I'm just kind of amazed at why we went after him. I have a feeling he will be the next Myles Holley but I could be wrong.

This is the crap that got Doc in the limbo roster and recruiting wise early in his career here. Relying way to much on JUCO's. And he wonders why he has trouble creating chemestry on the team. Remember for every Lance Jeter, and maybe Caleb Walker and Andre Almeida, there are about ten Cole-Hankins, Pings, and the tall goofy kid from the Wyoming Juco that could only shoot the 3 and was hurt a lot(name slips my mind). NU seems to have more JUCO busts than anyone else in the country.

Lightning rarely comes twice in a bottle Doc, go find your next Lance Jeter in the High School ranks. Oh, and put all your efforts into hitting up South Sioux City High for the next year. Mike Gesell can easily be a Nate Funk/Kurt Hinrich type player, but maybe better because of the team he'd be on.

If Doc can't pull in Mike Gesell then he should be fired. The best basketball this state has seen in a long time and you can't convince him to stay home? Something wrong there.

If Doc can't pull in Mike Gesell then he should be fired. The best basketball this state has seen in a long time and you can't convince him to stay home? Something wrong there.

I will happily drive him to South Sioux every weekend that I go home if it would make Gesell come here.

I will happily drive him to South Sioux every weekend that I go home if it would make Gesell come here.

I would sacrifice a lamb to the basketball gods, if that would make Gesell come to Lincoln.

I would sacrifice a lamb to the basketball gods, if that would make Gesell come to Lincoln.

I will sacrifice a certain Power(less) Forward and throw in a couple bottles of Jack to make that happen

I'm on the fence with Doc, to be honest, but seriously, even if they are lower-class high school recruits, they are still HIGH SCHOOL RECRUITS! they have at least 1-2 more years to develop than a Juco, and you're offering a scholarship to the 4th leading scorer on a juco team to play the 2-guard? what's the idea here? I don't care if he's the only one, Mike Gesell needs to be priority #1 for this coaching staff. My personal preference: get Gesell, Sioux City Center Adam Woodbury, and another Forward, perhaps Dorial Green-Beckham, who is a highly rated football player, so if he joined the program for football, his basketball talent is a nice add-on. If not, then get a lower-rated player or a JUCO, preferably as a Walk-On. Then, in 2013, do whatever it takes to get Forward Akoy Agau, who could be just as good as Gesell, only a forward. With Gesell and Agau, you could literally change the landscape as we know it of Nebrasketball. Make it happen Doc!

I'm on the fence with Doc, to be honest, but seriously, even if they are lower-class high school recruits, they are still HIGH SCHOOL RECRUITS! they have at least 1-2 more years to develop than a Juco, and you're offering a scholarship to the 4th leading scorer on a juco team to play the 2-guard? what's the idea here? I don't care if he's the only one, Mike Gesell needs to be priority #1 for this coaching staff. My personal preference: get Gesell, Sioux City Center Adam Woodbury, and another Forward, perhaps Dorial Green-Beckham, who is a highly rated football player, so if he joined the program for football, his basketball talent is a nice add-on. If not, then get a lower-rated player or a JUCO, preferably as a Walk-On. Then, in 2013, do whatever it takes to get Forward Akoy Agau, who could be just as good as Gesell, only a forward. With Gesell and Agau, you could literally change the landscape as we know it of Nebrasketball. Make it happen Doc!

For starters, your claim that HS recruits are better because they have 1-2 more years to develop is ridiculous, JUCO players don't NEED to develop, they've been developing for 1-2 years in Junior College, this is why they come in as immediate starters. Secondly, you just ripped Doc for taking JUCO players, and then said you want him to go after JUCO guy. What is that? Finally, Doc brought in 3 HS players this year, which is great. Now he's adding a couple JUCO guys to fill immediate voids or improve some positions. This ain't Duke or KU, there's not depth yet. Doc HAS to get at least one HS kid a year, prefferably 3, but he also needs to get a JUCO or 2 until he gets some better depth. In basketball there are very few scholarships, 2 HS players a year will eventually lead to depth.

Wish I knew more about basketball. In high school i wrestled and laughed at the pumpkin pounders.

I've seen video of Gessell (I think that's the correct spelling) and he does seem to be a man among boys. I also like the suggestion of working with Bo and getting the 2 sport stud (Green-Beckham). Lastly, even as naive as I am regarding basketball, I think I can safely say with confidence that Doc's efforts will be aided when the new arena and basketball facility opens. Obviously we (NU) will have to upgrade NU basketball once they enter the B1G. If for no other reason then the B1G placing pressure on NU's administration. If I was a huge basketball fan (football and baseball for me) I'd be extremely excited about the move to the B1G.