Iowa game

I agree with that. I am not saying Nebraska's not showing up this year. What I was saying is first I will be surprised if Iowa ranks below low 20's in O AND D this year. Thats a pretty good team, anyway you slice it.

My biggest concern for Nebraska is #1 they got almost all those rushing yards in the B12, where it's spread heavy. #2 alot of those yards came by T-mart (see Mich's season last year in the B10). #3 T-mart is not a very good passer. #4 It has been shown that when ran at with a remotely decent running game, Nebraska had a hard time with it. Then ofcourse you can throw in coaching changes, statagey changes and moving into all new teams to prepare for.

If it wasnt for those things, I could see Nebraska taking the division.

Bo does really well at D, so I have to think he will be able to slow the run better than he did last year, knowing full well he is now in a run dominate conference, but there is no proof of that and really no sign of any of the other issues being sorted out this year. Which to be honest can be expected. Give him a few years. He has alot on his plate.

This is in no way, trying to take away from Nebraska, but when you start looking at what if's and I hopes, for the B10 teams, Nebraska has more than a few. Iowa has them to, but they are little ones, Iowas biggest concern if you ask me is RB's RB's RB's, their record is horrible when it comes to keeping RB's in the game (for whatever reason). #2 TE's yes they have some talent there, but compared to years past I would say that position has slide a bit. Again, maybe not alot, but still I think it slide a little.

I won't disagree with your assessment of Nebraska's problems, and I'd even go so far as to say you've undersold them. We have a lot of potential problems. If we get them all fixed, that'll warrant Coach of the Year consideration for Pelini, IMVHO.

The issue at Iowa isn't just RB, it's QB, too. Who's your signal-caller going to be, Vandenberg? The guy is a sub-.500 passer with three career TDs and five INTs. I'm not seeing reasons for the optimism you're displaying here.

Specifically against Nebraska, this guy is a pocket passer. If he stays in the pocket, I don't care how good that O Line is at Iowa, we'll eat this guy for lunch. Immobile QBs are fresh meat for the Blackshirts. That's probably the single biggest thing the Big Ten needs to learn about Nebraska – there is NO ROOM for immobility at QB against this defense. None.

I spent a lot of time trying to explain this to Washington Husky fans last September before we played "Heisman Trophy Candidate" Jake Locker in Seattle. They would have none of it, no matter how specifically I broke it down (as in, Locker MUST release the ball in under three seconds every play or get plastered). They remained confident they had this game in the bag…and we nearly killed Locker. Same thing with the Vandals fans and Nate Enderle.

This is why Husker fans are telling you we'll be surprised if Iowa scores 20 points against the Blackshirts. Frankly, if Vandenberg isn't able to muster any kind of passing game and we can load up on the run, I don't like Iowa's chances at all.

Well, Iowas O line should be the best in the B10 this year, thats no secret. Vandy's numbers are so messed up, you are right about that. If you watch the game he played in OH, he has a cannon, much much stronger arm than Stanzi. The receivers were having problems catching them as they were not used to the velocity of them. Then they would tip the ball instead of catching them and futher make his int numbers worse yet. Almost every pass should have been caught and many were put spot on. Now this says alot as Iowa had one of the best receivers in the B10 last year and he could not catch them. McNutt seemed to be able to handle the higher velocity passes and he is back this year. Vandy is bigger and has a better build than Stanzi had. Back to why I am high on Vandy, he got coached strapped in the other games he played in, he was not good at picking up the blitz. But he worked really hard with Stanzi on reads, and that was one of Stanzi's best qualities, he read things right, he was a good manager, he was smart. Vandy will start cutting down the number of his classes now, as he is way ahead and almost graduated already as a JR, (smart). This will free up even more time for him to work on ball. I am not taking anything away from Stanzi, but the teacher may get passed by the taught, very qwickly.

So we should have the B10's best O line, a pretty darn good qb, and for sure two good RB's and some experience (wished it was more) at TE. One very good receiver and one that past receivers at Iowa are very high on. These recievers were very good in the B10 and that says alot about a kid none of us have really seen, except this spring and that was impressive. As for D, there will be a slide, but Iowa always shows up on D. Maybe not top 15 this year, but I dont see it sliding back a whole lot. LB's are a small concern, but no worse than any other B10 team. If you dont have exceptional LB's in the B10, you dont win. So any team that loses a few LB's will suffer unless they are SUPER deep at LB. I cant recall any B10 team that is that deep.

bigg10, Nebraska's defense last year only appeared to struggle defending the run. Like you said, the Big 12 is spread happy and pass happy. That resulted in the Pelini brothers creating an entirely new defensive scheme, one that was uniquely Nebraska's, in order to stop those offenses. That scheme was built on the concept of minimizing big plays and taking away the bread and butter of those offenses.

When you take away big plays, and the short passes (which is what many of those offenses thrived with), you're left somewhat vulnerable to the running game. So even though we appeared to struggle defending the run at different times throughout the season, the reality was that we were allowing the offense to run the ball knowing that they probably couldn't maintain a 12-play drive all the way down the field with that style of offense. That defense worked brilliantly against every offense we played over the past 2 seasons except for Oklahoma State. That offense was the best in the country in 2010, and it had way more firepower, balance, and better coaching than any offense we're going to see in the Big 10.

However, in the Big 10, as you've pointed out, there isn't such a tendency towards spread passing attacks as there is in the Big 12. The Pelini brothers will revise their defensive scheme the same way as they did in the Big 12 - they will take away what offenses like to do the most. You won't see the same Nebraska scheme that you've seen the past 2 years, it'll look a lot different due to the types of offenses we'll be facing.

These are points that bother me. As I have said before, with some B10 teams, you cant stop the run, only try and contain it, which is what Bo did before in the B12. Now the problem is the B10 is a punishing run conf. The level of play at containing the run last year in the B12, will not stand up in the B10 as teams like to beat on the others D until something gives.

I would also like to say, I am not saying Iowa is going to roll the conf. or even beat Nebraska. Injuries are a concern for all teams. What I am saying is there is no rebuilding and Iowa should present well this year.

^ so you're saying he lacks touch on his passes to butterfinger receivers? you've got 2 or your 3 best receivers gone, your top running back suspended (assuming he's done?), new QB (regardless of who he is), lose your starting guard including essentially the entire starting defensive line, leading tackler, and safety.

Clayborn, Stanzi, Klug, Sash, Vandervelde and Ballard were all drafted, meaning you're short 6 NFL caliber players. Those 6 add to a pool of tallent over the last 4-5 years that (from the NFL draft perspective) has been greater than almost the entire Big10 and Nebraska as well. Iowa is a perennial underachiever and dasher of Hawkeye hope. That's something every B1G team can count on. 2009 was just as close to being 8-5 as it was 11-2. Northern Iowa? That dominating offense you are counting on rebuilding put up 12 against Minnesota?

The running back position is VERY thin (see Nebraska) for a team that prides itself on pounding the rock. Can Coker stay health for an entire season with 250+ carries? Doubtful.

The OL is what Iowa is basing their entire season on. Their health is as important as anything this year to Iowa. That's where the Nebraska DL enters...late in the season, your OL get's the meet one of the most dominant defensive lines in football. Not usually a recipe for success. Iowa would stand a much better chance if this game was scheduled in early October.

^ so you're saying he lacks touch on his passes to butterfinger receivers? you've got 2 or your 3 best receivers gone, your top running back suspended (assuming he's done?), new QB (regardless of who he is), lose your starting guard including essentially the entire starting defensive line, leading tackler, and safety.

Clayborn, Stanzi, Klug, Sash, Vandervelde and Ballard were all drafted, meaning you're short 6 NFL caliber players. Those 6 add to a pool of tallent over the last 4-5 years that (from the NFL draft perspective) has been greater than almost the entire Big10 and Nebraska as well. Iowa is a perennial underachiever and dasher of Hawkeye hope. That's something every B1G team can count on. 2009 was just as close to being 8-5 as it was 11-2. Northern Iowa? That dominating offense you are counting on rebuilding put up 12 against Minnesota?

The running back position is VERY thin (see Nebraska) for a team that prides itself on pounding the rock. Can Coker stay health for an entire season with 250+ carries? Doubtful.

The OL is what Iowa is basing their entire season on. Their health is as important as anything this year to Iowa. That's where the Nebraska DL enters...late in the season, your OL get's the meet one of the most dominant defensive lines in football. Not usually a recipe for success. Iowa would stand a much better chance if this game was scheduled in early October.

Totally disagree. Nebraska would stand a better chance if they met early. Your right keeping a RB healthy all the way thru in the B10 is tough. That also applies to Nebraska. Now those big RB's tend to meet up with LB's alot in the B10, something has to give and so LB's sometimes become a concern. This applies to Nebraska as well.

As I said, I think Vandy is a better qb than Stanzi. At RB we have a big fast back that has played in big games and done very well. We are hoping to get Rodgers back and he has game time and is also very good. Johnson has been in the system but had an injury but should be ready to go this fall. White is in the line up. Then to top all that off I think Iowa landed one of the best RB's I have ever seen (when coming out of HS) in McCall. Thats no BS. Iowa has had some good Rb's over the years that bolt to the NFL before their SR year, but this kid could be one of the best. Ofcourse that's up to him, just how bad he wants it.

We lost alot on D, you are right. But Iowa always loses alot on D to the NFL and always reloads well. There are a few softer spots on D but overall it does not look like a huge drop, but rather a small slide.

As for receivers, yep we lost a good one in DJK, but Davis was amazing this spring. Shumpert is pretty good,and McNutt returns and he was no slouch, and actually caught the passes Vandy was throwing.

This is most certainly true. And to add to this, late in the season is where you find out about your depth. We had great depth at RB last year with Rexy when Roy got dinged up. Our RBs had fine seasons, with Roy well over 1,000 yards and Rex just 50 yards short.

But to expand on that point about depth, and specifically Iowa's O Line vs. Nebraska's D Line, we are legit two-deep at DE with The Stache and (probably) EMart, backed up by Josh Williams and Jason Ankrah. At DT we have an embarrassment of riches between Crick/Steinkuhler, T.Mo/Thad Randle, and Chase Rome/Todd Peat. That's a more-than-legit two-deep, with talent at the third level.

I have no idea how truly deep Iowa's O Line is, but I'll put our D Line up against them any day, no worries.

bigg10, Nebraska's defense last year only appeared to struggle defending the run. Like you said, the Big 12 is spread happy and pass happy. That resulted in the Pelini brothers creating an entirely new defensive scheme, one that was uniquely Nebraska's, in order to stop those offenses. That scheme was built on the concept of minimizing big plays and taking away the bread and butter of those offenses.

When you take away big plays, and the short passes (which is what many of those offenses thrived with), you're left somewhat vulnerable to the running game. So even though we appeared to struggle defending the run at different times throughout the season, the reality was that we were allowing the offense to run the ball knowing that they probably couldn't maintain a 12-play drive all the way down the field with that style of offense. That defense worked brilliantly against every offense we played over the past 2 seasons except for Oklahoma State. That offense was the best in the country in 2010, and it had way more firepower, balance, and better coaching than any offense we're going to see in the Big 10.

However, in the Big 10, as you've pointed out, there isn't such a tendency towards spread passing attacks as there is in the Big 12. The Pelini brothers will revise their defensive scheme the same way as they did in the Big 12 - they will take away what offenses like to do the most. You won't see the same Nebraska scheme that you've seen the past 2 years, it'll look a lot different due to the types of offenses we'll be facing.

These are points that bother me. As I have said before, with some B10 teams, you cant stop the run, only try and contain it, which is what Bo did before in the B12. Now the problem is the B10 is a punishing run conf. The level of play at containing the run last year in the B12, will not stand up in the B10 as teams like to beat on the others D until something gives.

I would also like to say, I am not saying Iowa is going to roll the conf. or even beat Nebraska. Injuries are a concern for all teams. What I am saying is there is no rebuilding and Iowa should present well this year.

Which teams? The Big10 has Michigan, Illinios, Wisconsin, and Ohio St ranked fairly high in rushing (11-14) behind Nebraska. After that you've got to travel a long way down the rushing offense rankings before you get to another B1G team. While you're scrolling down to the next team you'll find almost the entire Big12 (a conference that suposedly doesn't run the ball)...then eventually hit Iowa at that 75th spot. This is a team that dominates on the ground? You already brushed Michigan's rushing success off to Robinson and a few high scoring games. Ohio St's can be attributed to a QB that is no longer w/ the team. Illinois...well, not too worried about them. That only leaves 1 true "rushing" attack in Wisconsin who should be very 1 dimensional w/ their new QB. Not exactly a head scratcher figuring out how to keep Wisconsin's offense off the field.

Totally disagree. Nebraska would stand a better chance if they met early. Your right keeping a RB healthy all the way thru in the B10 is tough. That also applies to Nebraska. Now those big RB's tend to meet up with LB's alot in the B10, something has to give and so LB's sometimes become a concern. This applies to Nebraska as well.

As I said, I think Vandy is a better qb than Stanzi. At RB we have a big fast back that has played in big games and done very well. We are hoping to get Rodgers back and he has game time and is also very good. Johnson has been in the system but had an injury but should be ready to go this fall. Then to top all that off I think Iowa landed one of the best RB's I have ever see (when coming out of HS) in McCall.

We lost alot on D, you are right. But Iowa always loses alot on D to the NFL and always reloads well. There are a few softer spots on D but overall it does not look like a huge drop, but rather a small slide.

Dude. Stanzi was the #12 QB last year in Pass Efficiency, #28 in total passing yards, #52 in completions per game, #34 in passing yards per game, #46 in Total Offense, #33 in Points Responsible For.... etc, etc. Stanzi was a hell of a QB, and has the stats to back that up. Vandy has none of those stats. He has the same thing Florida Atlantic's third-string QB has right now - potential. Let's not get carried away here.

As I said, I think Vandy is a better qb than Stanzi. At RB we have a big fast back that has played in big games and done very well. We are hoping to get Rodgers back and he has game time and is also very good. Johnson has been in the system but had an injury but should be ready to go this fall. Then to top all that off I think Iowa landed one of the best RB's I have ever see (when coming out of HS) in McCall.

Dude. Stanzi was the #12 QB last year in Pass Efficiency, #28 in total passing yards, #52 in completions per game, #34 in passing yards per game, #46 in Total Offense, #33 in Points Responsible For.... etc, etc. Stanzi was a hell of a QB, and has the stats to back that up. Vandy has none of those stats. He has the same thing Florida Atlantic's third-string QB has right now - potential. Let's not get carried away here.

But Vandy was 5 of 8 for 45 yards and a TD! He's way better! :sarcasm Based on that logic every team in the B1G is screwed...let me introduce you to 3/4, for 35 yards and 3TDs (Rex).

• Fire 2

Exactly. Vandy is a better qb. The stats may not show it, but it does not change the fact.

Which teams? The Big10 has Michigan, Illinios, Wisconsin, and Ohio St ranked fairly high in rushing (11-14) behind Nebraska. After that you've got to travel a long way down the rushing offense rankings before you get to another B1G team. While you're scrolling down to the next team you'll find almost the entire Big12 (a conference that suposedly doesn't run the ball)...then eventually hit Iowa at that 75th spot. This is a team that dominates on the ground? You already brushed Michigan's rushing success off to Robinson and a few high scoring games. Ohio St's can be attributed to a QB that is no longer w/ the team. Illinois...well, not too worried about them. That only leaves 1 true "rushing" attack in Wisconsin who should be very 1 dimensional w/ their new QB. Not exactly a head scratcher figuring out how to keep Wisconsin's offense off the field.

Ill, Mich St, Wiskey, Iowa all have punishing runners. Some are better yes but heck even MN had a decent back (I think he is gone now). OH St does run but it's not as punishing. Yes Iowa was 70 something and it showed in the record. I mean come on, you cant know you are going to lose a back to drugs/grades and one to letting his smaller head do the thinking for him. Coker was 4th or 5th in line. Thats how you end up 70th or whatever and thats how you go from being talked about NC wise to going 8-5.

Exactly. Vandy is a better qb. The stats may not show it, but it does not change the fact.

I'll believe it when I see it. Vandenberg has an uglier delivery than Stanzi and he has ZERO mobility. I'm not joking when I say it's murder to be a pocket QB against Nebraska's pass rush. I don't care how good your O Line is, they're not going to keep an immobile QB on his feet all game. Heck, Gabbert is at least somewhat "mobile" and we plastered him several times last year, and Mizzou has an O Line I'd compare to Iowa's any day of the week.

I'll believe it when I see it. Vandenberg has an uglier delivery than Stanzi and he has ZERO mobility. I'm not joking when I say it's murder to be a pocket QB against Nebraska's pass rush. I don't care how good your O Line is, they're not going to keep an immobile QB on his feet all game. Heck, Gabbert is at least somewhat "mobile" and we plastered him several times last year, and Mizzou has an O Line I'd compare to Iowa's any day of the week.

Vandy is more mobile than Stanzi!!! He has a qwicker release!!! No way Missery O line was as good. Missery plain azz sucked, and they were WAY over rated. I do beleive they were most highly ranked on red zone D. But when we can put mostly anywhere from 2 to 5 deep in against their starters and walk away with a W, they suck. There was alot of stammering about making them a series, I thought not a bad idea, schedual an over rated team and almost always get a W.

Anyway back to your one post Knap, I see Nebraska is running pretty deep on D. When I was breaking teams down, I actually had to stop and double check several times as I thought I must have read it wrong.

I even forgot a couple of guys when I ran off that list of DTs. Jay Guy and Kevin Williams, as I was just reminded. ;)

We have a DEEEEEEEP D Line. Crazy deep.

If only we had such good depth at LB, I'd be much more confident heading into this season.