Iowa game

I just can't get into a "rivalry" with Iowa. It's different for the folks who live on the Iowa/Nebraska border, probably, or for those fans of either team living in the other state. For me, and (I presume) for most of us who don't have constant contact with Iowegians, there's no extra interest in the game. It's just another game, like Colorado was to me.

Like CU, I see nothing about Iowa that I am envious of. I see nothing they've done, ever, that makes me wish Nebraska was like them, or that would in any way make me compare Nebraska to them, any more than I would compare Nebraska to CU, or to KU, or to Minnesota, or to Northwestern. None of those teams are Nebraska's peers. None of them have programs like ours, none of them have the national impact like ours, none of them are part of the national consciousness like ours.

There was once a billboard on I-180 heading into downtown, right next to the stadium, that said, "Every program has history. Few have Tradition." That's where Nebraska is separated from Iowa, Colorado, Minnesota, and the rest – their tradition of excellence. Nebraska's natural peers in the Big 10 are Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. All three rank in the top ten wins all-time. All three have Heisman Trophy winners. All three have national championships. All three have thirty or more bowl victories. All three are, along with Nebraska, pillars of college football.

Where is Iowa on those lists? One claimed national championship (to which LSU holds the rightful claim), one deserving Heisman Trophy winner, more than 200 fewer wins, a smattering of conference championships, and little sustained success. That is NOT to say that Iowa in any way is a bad college football team – they most certainly are not. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Iowa football, and as a member of the Big 10 they have every right to hold their heads high, to be proud of their well-earned place in their conference, and to be viewed as valued, respected members. But in no way is Iowa football comparable to the sustained excellence of Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan or Nebraska.

The games which will mean the most to me in the Big 10 are always going to be the matchups against Ohio State, against Michigan, and against Penn State. Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue, Michigan State – I expect these to be tough, well-fought games, sure. But they won't be any different, to me, than playing Missouri, Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Colorado, or Texas Tech. Iowa will beat us once in a while. I expect the norm to be Nebraska wins with here and there a few Hawkeye victories. But over the next 30 years, it won't be Iowa who we're vying with for the conference title, it won't be Iowa on whom the season hinges. It'll be the traditional powers that have built programs of continued excellence, and it always will be.

Holy freaking crap, knapp, not to go all MC Hammer on you, but...........

..............wait for it...........

.............just a little longer................

BREAK IT DOWN!!!!!!!! :corndance Whoaooaaooooaaooooaa, whooooaaaaoooaoaaaa!!!!!

For the record, I respect Hawkeye fans. You're another midwestern school where in-state kids want to stay home and play for you. We both have recruiting disadvantages. Walk-ons can make an impact. The fan bases are rabid. We don't have pro teams to root for.

We're not being arrogant when we say Nebraska WAS better than Iowa. It's just a plain fact. If you can't realize that, with all that's been laid out in this thread, combined with a touch of common sense, there's no help for you.

Fixed it for you.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say over the history of football, Nebraska has been much better than Iowa but given that over the last decade Iowa has really stepped up their game, it could very well make for a Thanksgiving game being played for the division title? The entire point I have been trying to make is that given RECENT history, the game in the fall should be a good one. I have in no way argued that Nebraska does not have a more storied history, just that this game is being played NOW.

It is no different from me being confident that we will beat Michigan this year - not because we are a better team than Michigan over the history of the game, but that I believe we will be a better team than Michigan this year given who each team is returning and how things went last year.

My entire problem with the attitude isn't that you all think you are going to win because I would be dissapointed if you didn't think that way - but that the reasons given are typically of the "we have 200 more wins than you all time so that shows we are just better than you" variety. This is also what leads to my - this isn't the 90s comments. When talking about a SINGLE YEARS game, it doesn't matter what you did over the past 100 years. Hell it doesn't even matter so much what you did 5 years ago. What matters is how you have done the past couple of years and who you have coming back - both starter and new guys. Now over the course of the next decade worth of games between our teams, the historical significance can come into play because that has an effect on recruiting and in that you will have a significant edge. I am sure that Iowa WILL lose a few recruits to you guys - people that wanted to play in the Big 10 but were overlooked by Michigan and Ohio State might choose to come to Nebraska as one of your low end recruits instead of one of our high end recruits. But as for the game this year, breaking down what both teams have coming back and how the matchups are looking, it just looks like it will be a really close fought game and to think otherwise simply because you have a bunch of national championships and we don't just seems :facepalm:

edit: Before someone points out the obvious - yes I talk about last decade in the first paragraph and then say that only the last few years really matters in the last paragraph but you should get my point anyway :P

This is a good post. I am a Nebraska fan through and through, but I realize what Nebraska did 10,20,30 years ago doesn't mean a damn thing on the day after Thanksgiving.

I have a ton of friends that are Hawk fans, and other than some general razzing, we don't get too riled up. I even had the pleasure of going to the Iowa/Ia State game at Kinnick last year, which I have to say was a really good time. I wore neutral colors and an NU hat with nothing more than a little light haggling. On a side note, Kinnick's tailgating slaps Lincoln's in the face. Might have been due to it being the Iowa State game, but either way.

Will this game turn into an annual rivalry? I kind of hope so. All the chips are on the table, and everything is set up perfectly. Passionate fan bases, shared borders, and (forgive me for saying this NU fans) fairly equal success in the recent past. It will take 10-15+ years of close games with championship implications on the line to really make a true rivalry. Looking at everything for this year's game, I see this being a 24-17 type ball game that could go either way. Do I think (hope) Nebraska will win? Of course, I wouldn't be a fan if i didn't. But I will say with pretty good confidence that it won't be a 3 td game.

Nonetheless, myself and my Iowa buddies will be sitting side by side, watching our teams battle it out. For 3 1/2 hours in late November, we'll hate each other's guts, but after that, everything will be let go for another year. Maybe I hang out with some really nice Iowa fans, but I honestly don't see why this board is so butt-hurt about the Hawkeye fans. Let it go, and enjoy the games.

• Fire 2

bigg10, the problem you have is understanding that "tradition" is a real asset that helps programs rebound faster and give staying power when they get there. There's a reason the Ohio States, Alabama's, Michigan's, Oklahoma's etc always bounce back to a premier status no matter how disastrous a 5 to 10 year drought may be.

There's exceptions of course (Minnesota), but the odds favor programs with a rich tradition greatly. Nebraska has that in spades, Iowa does not (at all). That doesn't mean Iowa can't create their own tradition but they haven't done it yet.

Diss that concept all you want but it's real.

bigg10, the problem you have is understanding that "tradition" is a real asset that helps programs rebound faster and give staying power when they get there. There's a reason the Ohio States, Alabama's, Michigan's, Oklahoma's etc always bounce back to a premier status no matter how disastrous a 5 to 10 year drought may be.

There's exceptions of course (Minnesota), but the odds favor programs with a rich tradition greatly. Nebraska has that in spades, Iowa does not (at all). That doesn't mean Iowa can't create their own tradition but they haven't done it yet.

Great, great point!

The problems with Nebraska are that we have a small population, crappy weather, a pretty laid back city in Lincoln, and most potential recruits weren't even born back when we were dominant. But still, we are making strides.

Can we please just hope that Michigan stays down? Pretty please? I like where they are at! Let the divisional title come down to Iowa/Nebraska every year and we can all be happy :) Other than that, excellent post!

When is the tradition going to start working for us then. Living in the past has no baring on this game. WE are average top 25 team at best, pretty much the same as Iowa over the last 10 years.

Quit living in the past, respect your competition.

Our tradition did little for the 4 out of 5 games lost late last year. It had little affect on Washington last year. Tradition means little to these kids. Just read what they have to say, they know little about Nebraska other than we play defense. Half at the start I would bet do not know when we last won or first won a NC.

I love our past, but I do not live in it. We are not close to what we were in the Osborne era, no matter how hard you want it to be. Not even close.

Will it happen this year, who knows, but I see no reason for any top program to fear Nebraska at this time. That being the upper third of the big Ten.

The game is decided by who is ready to play, not who won 11 games in 1993. Get over our selves.

See Boise State, Florida State, TCU, Stanford, Oregon. These teams have very little TRADITION and have been doing quite well for awhile.

Respect your competition.

Can we please just hope that Michigan stays down? Pretty please? I like where they are at! Let the divisional title come down to Iowa/Nebraska every year and we can all be happy :) Other than that, excellent post!

I've been programmed to hate both Iowa and Mechicken pretty much interchangably. The color scheme is pretty much the same uglyness..Probably carried over to making me hate the Steelers for no good reason ..other than my Ex rooted for them.

But now that we're IN this conference I'm going to try forcing myself to root for them..smileyPuking.gif..What with the mighty feeble showings in the post season for the last decade or three, even if we do somehow regain our "glory years", we might find ourselves wishing we were in as strong of a conference as Boise State.

Some good posts. Brings a few things into better light. While the schools dont have the same tradition or history, you have to understand that I sat with my daddy, just like you did with yours and watched all the games. So as fans I would say our personal tradition is about the same, except it was hard to be an Iowa fan back then. As far as schools, I was never saying IA has or will ever have the sucess that Nebraska has had. I think now after 10 years, Iowa is getting to the stage of reloading and depending what happens with our D corr. we could be looking at a very nice next 10 years. Meanwhile with you all coming into a new conference you could have a few so so years, so by the time that whole thing pans out which should be in 3 to 5, then we will see how things are shaping up for the next 10 to 15, if it's gonna be close, or if one team dominates the other. Either way I know KF hasnt lost a game by more than 7 for awhile now (worth researching but I am tired this morning), so I hope the boys can give you a show that is really worth you applauding for at the end. Finally, I don't care what you say, I loved the Wiskey game for 35 years now, and it's gone, a tradition dead, so one way or another Nebraska and Iowa are going to have something for me, I guess, Lincoln is closer, it is warmer which would make for better tailgating, red and white doesnt change. Some how I am sure I will get over it.

• Fire 5

Some good posts. Brings a few things into better light. While the schools dont have the same tradition or history, you have to understand that I sat with my daddy, just like you did with yours and watched all the games. So as fans I would say our personal tradition is about the same, except it was hard to be an Iowa fan back then. As far as schools, I was never saying IA has or will ever have the sucess that Nebraska has had. I think now after 10 years, Iowa is getting to the stage of reloading and depending what happens with our D corr. we could be looking at a very nice next 10 years. Meanwhile with you all coming into a new conference you could have a few so so years, so by the time that whole thing pans out which should be in 3 to 5, then we will see how things are shaping up for the next 10 to 15, if it's gonna be close, or if one team dominates the other. Either way I know KF hasnt lost a game by more than 7 for awhile now (worth researching but I am tired this morning), so I hope the boys can give you a show that is really worth you applauding for at the end. Finally, I don't care what you say, I loved the Wiskey game for 35 years now, and it's gone, a tradition dead, so one way or another Nebraska and Iowa are going to have something for me, I guess, Lincoln is closer, it is warmer which would make for better tailgating, red and white doesnt change. Some how I am sure I will get over it.

We had the Oklahoma game taken away from us as our rival. Now, with a new conference, we really don't have a rival. I think the only natural one to start will be Iowa. I know Penn State's out there, but I don't foresee it being as big of a game as an annual Iowa game (especially if held the Friday after Thanksgiving every year). Colorado really became our rival after OU because we played them every year, it's a bordering state and we played that Friday after Thanksgiving.

Although your D-coord is talented, I hate to say it, but it might be better in the long run to get someone in there that can travel to all the games. It will be an interested next 5 years to say how NU fits in and how recruiting changes and the overall landscape of the conference plays out.

As a guy who's lived in three different BigTen states, it'll be nice to actually compete against each other, and especially make those annoying badger fans put their money where their mouth is. Maybe they'll even stop calling themselves 'The Big Red' now too. That doesn't fly anymore.

Good post. I get that you're just a fan of your team, supporting your team. No hard feelings to you.

Wow. This actually is a pretty impressive stat. Haven't lost by more than 7 since 2007.

My major problem with most Husker fans is that they still think it is the mid to late 90s. They act like they are the best football team around, when in actuality the team hasn't been any more nationally relevant recently than most other teams. If you talk to a Michigan fan the past couple of years, they don't act like they are god's gift to football and that they are going to walk all over you and win the game simply because they are Michigan. They realize and understand where their team is right now and that they will have to actually play the game and it won't just be handed to them because of who they are.

Given recent history, there is no way that Nebraska fans should think that the game with Iowa will be anything other than a down in the trenches slug fest that won't be decided until the 4th quarter - but the attitude is, well we are Nebraska and you are Iowa so we are just better and you should just bow to our superiority and accept your place as our doormat. News flash - this isn't the 90s and it is that smug attitude that pisses us off.

I can sympathise with those Nebraska fans living in Iowa because I am sure that after all of the smugness and superiority coming from Nebraska during their amazing run in the 90s that things were a little rough - but to continue to think that just because you are Nebraska you are better than everyone else without proving it on the field doesn't help.

Hmmm, pretty interesting that you say this. Most Iowa fans act this way, but Iowa hasn't accomplished anything to be proud about. I don't live in the 90's, but I'm also not going to put up with smug Iowa fans that run their mouths when their team hasn't done anything impressive to me in their entire history. I always joke with the Iowa guys at my work that bring up NU's history and how we live in the past, which I don't, that if I was an Iowa fan, I wouldn't talk about my past either.

• Fire 1

Ahhh, I love the internet. Husker or Hawkeye, on the internet anyone can act like a petulant child and still sleep soundly at night.

You know what annoys me? Referring to the Big 10 as the "B1G" online. I know it's the new logo, but it just doesn't work in bookman, or times, or whatever font this is. I always just read it as "The Big" and that sounds weird.

That being said, I will admit to having a general dislike for Iowa. Not really the team, just..87% of people I've met from Iowa. Also, 100% of Iowa fans that I've met (face to face that is, there seem to be some pretty upstanding Iowegians on this board.) The only thing that really annoys me is the intense, passionate love for the "B1G" that Iowa fans seem to have. It's like they can't really be proud of their own team's record on a year to year basis, so they fall back on the respectability of the conference. I know I shouldn't complain, because we're in the Big Ten now and it's a great conference..I just feel that pride Iowa has in the Big Ten, that burning pride..I just don't want to fuel that pride. I just want to irrationally, bitterly cut down that pride and have no part in it, simply because they're Iowa. Iowa, those evil evil Iowegians with their evil team and their evil colors and their evil..evil..

...evilness.

But seriously, Iowa is fine. They bug me a little, like an annoying sibling. When we play them we might lose (I don't expect us to but I didn't expect us to lose to Iowa State in '09 either), and if we do I'm sure I'll have some excuse to fall back on (Those darn injuries! Those incorrigible refs!) just like they will. Rivalry? Maybe, maybe not. Irrational? Totally.

Expected in a football forum? Yup.

Going to stop me from making pointless entries? Not on your life.

• Fire 1

When is the tradition going to start working for us then. Living in the past has no baring on this game. WE are average top 25 team at best, pretty much the same as Iowa over the last 10 years.

Our tradition did little for the 4 out of 5 games lost late last year. It had little affect on Washington last year. Tradition means little to these kids. Just read what they have to say, they know little about Nebraska other than we play defense. Half at the start I would bet do not know when we last won or first won a NC.

I love our past, but I do not live in it. We are not close to what we were in the Osborne era, no matter how hard you want it to be. Not even close.

Will it happen this year, who knows, but I see no reason for any top program to fear Nebraska at this time. That being the upper third of the big Ten.

The game is decided by who is ready to play, not who won 11 games in 1993. Get over our selves.

See Boise State, Florida State, TCU, Stanford, Oregon. These teams have very little TRADITION and have been doing quite well for awhile.

What?

Who in the world is saying to not "respect your competition"?? Well? Where did that come from and what does that have to do with anything? Gee, maybe you should have added "show up for the games"?

Duh.

We are indeed close to the TO era. We've won 9 - 10 - 10 games the last three years which is almost exactly what TO did for the vast majority of his career. It took awhile for TO to win his big games and get conference champions & NCs too. We've been extremely close to getting two ccg wins the last two years if you've noticed.

Florida St has been winning boatloads of games, big bowls for a good quarter of a century and has a couple of NCs too. They've got a shorter but still healthy dose of tradition also.

Alabama was in the mud for a decade and look at them now. Florida was the same with Zook, Ohio State with their Cooper years, etc, etc. Nebraska is on the road back and you Debbie Downers are not going to stop it.

• Fire 1

What?

Who in the world is saying to not "respect your competition"?? Well? Where did that come from and what does that have to do with anything? Gee, maybe you should have added "show up for the games"?

Duh.

We are indeed close to the TO era. We've won 9 - 10 - 10 games the last three years which is almost exactly what TO did for the vast majority of his career. It took awhile for TO to win his big games and get conference champions & NCs too. We've been extremely close to getting two ccg wins the last two years if you've noticed.

Florida St has been winning boatloads of games, big bowls for a good quarter of a century and has a couple of NCs too. They've got a shorter but still healthy dose of tradition also.

Alabama was in the mud for a decade and look at them now. Florida was the same with Zook, Ohio State with their Cooper years, etc, etc. Nebraska is on the road back and you Debbie Downers are not going to stop it.

Yes...yes!