Wisconsin

Wiskey is tough, when I say tough I mean flat out knock you on your arse tough. They will try and force you to play their game. They will pound and pound like a ton of bricks, if their d can hold up, they will continue to pound (except in the Rose ofcourse). Now if you can have sucess, running against them you have a shot, that opens your passing a little. If you get behind you have to be able to withstand the pounding, cuz thats what they will do, if you over compensate for the run sure they are going to pass. If you get ahead it has to be by more than 2 td's cuz they can run so well, they know a touch down is only one run away. Besides the Hawks, there is not another team, that I like to watch play as much as them.

The Rose was a fluke and weighs heavy on my heart. No way a pass first team can bang heads with them and come out winning. By winning I mean the score as well as unijured players. If they had stuck with playing their type of ball, they would have easily beat TCU.

So there you have it, can you beat them? Sure. Shaking in your boots? I dont think so. But be prepared for your first game to be a REALLY phisical one. And as Hunter said you will have to run a 4-3 against them.

I think we'll be fine. We lost a couple of offensive linemen, but their replacements are just as good or nearly as good. They just need to get used to each other, get in sync (starting center Peter Konz is not practicing due to a high ankle sprain). I'm not worried about them or the running backs situation. Quarterback is probably the biggest question mark, but the offense Wisconsin runs usually requires that the QB be more of a "game manager" than anything else. Scott Tolzein just did that really well because he was so efficient.

And Wisconsin didn't even try to run against TCU which is why they lost.

It's true, we probably lost to TCU because for some reason, we forgot that our primary strength is running the ball up the middle. If you watch Wisconsin's first and last drives of that game, that's exactly how the offense moved down the field easily. In between, we just tried to get too cute. That game was unbelievably frustrating to watch for that reason alone. But -- TCU's defense was really very good though, and they deserved a lot of credit for stopping Wisconsin's offense, which was quite the machine last season.

We might not win the Big Ten next season, but I wouldn't count on an easy win over Wisconsin at Camp Randall.

I saw you lost becaue you couldn't pass at all in between the running plays. You're supposed hit the WRs for 10 yards when they are perpetually in 1-1 coverage.

• Fire 1

I think we'll be fine. We lost a couple of offensive linemen, but their replacements are just as good or nearly as good. They just need to get used to each other, get in sync (starting center Peter Konz is not practicing due to a high ankle sprain). I'm not worried about them or the running backs situation. Quarterback is probably the biggest question mark, but the offense Wisconsin runs usually requires that the QB be more of a "game manager" than anything else. Scott Tolzein just did that really well because he was so efficient.

And Wisconsin didn't even try to run against TCU which is why they lost.

It's true, we probably lost to TCU because for some reason, we forgot that our primary strength is running the ball up the middle. If you watch Wisconsin's first and last drives of that game, that's exactly how the offense moved down the field easily. In between, we just tried to get too cute. That game was unbelievably frustrating to watch for that reason alone. But -- TCU's defense was really very good though, and they deserved a lot of credit for stopping Wisconsin's offense, which was quite the machine last season.

We might not win the Big Ten next season, but I wouldn't count on an easy win over Wisconsin at Camp Randall.

I saw you lost becaue you couldn't pass at all in between the running plays. You're supposed hit the WRs for 10 yards when they are perpetually in 1-1 coverage.

That's how I remember it too. TCU had a good D that could stop Wisky's running game when Wisky was unable to complete anthing. If I remember correctly, the 2 big drives for Wisky both had critical 3rd pass completions.

As for the rest of the thread, NU is in for a tough, tough opponent in Madison. But it's early in the season and Wisky is losing a lot on offense. Defense is going to win this game, and I think the Blackshirts give NU the advantage.

I'd love to be bias in this thread about the Huskers but you can almost read the exact same thing about the Huskers spring practices and plus we're going thru a new offense and Offensive Coordinator.

The difference being Nebraska has 20 wins the last two years solely because of defense and would have more if they had a halfway competent offense. Wisconsin has done it's recent winning with offense. Nebraska having offensive inconsistency in the spring after a previous two years of putrid offensive performances does nothing to affect projections for the fall, Wisconsin having offensive inconsistency is a little more worriesome.

Again, I'll say that playing in Madison at night will be one of Nebraska's biggest challenges next year, I just want people to realize it's not going to be Tolzien's Badgers on that night.

I think Wisconsin has a capable coaching staff to figure out what their gonna do.

Just because the Qb throws a couple of picks in a SPRING scrimmage doesnt make them all of sudden a Iowa State or a KU type of team.

Im more concerned about our offense getting their crap together, rather than Wisconsin. Pelini can coach this team up to stop Wisconsin even with Tozalin. If our offense can score that is biggest question, we should be Wisconsin.

Lets worry about Nebraska before we worry about Wisconsin and no we arent gonna roll over the BigTen like a mack truck.

That's true, but it's not the primary reason we lost. John Clay and Montee Ball were running the ball really well up the middle, and our OC Paul Chryst started mixing in little cutesy plays that he likes -- rollout passes thrown to the other side of the field and sweep runs to the outside that fed right into TCU's speed on defense. Then with 7 minutes left in the fourth quarter, Chryst went back to...running the ball up the middle, and suddenly the offense was moving again.

We were hit with penalties and incompletions, stuff that hadn't happened all year. But I still say it was getting away from running the ball up the middle that lost us that game.

I'm getting angry just thinking about it all over again.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the UW/Nebraska game. It's going to be a great atmosphere and you Husker fans will love Madison and Camp Randall.

On average, any rush 4 yards or over is considered a successful rush.

Against TCU:

The first drive, only one rushing play shorter than 4 yards. They averaged 10 yards per carry. It resulted in a FG due to incomplete passes and penalties

The second drive, only one rush under 4 yards (not counting the last one because it only took 1 yard to score the TD) averaging 3 yards per carry

The third drive, only 3 rush plays under 4 yards. What killed the drive? Passing on 1st down. Averaging 5.75 yards per carry.

The fourth drive, only 3 rush plays under 4 yards. the first part of the drive was all passes except for Clay's 6 yard rush. Resulted in a fake punt. Again using the rush to start the drive only to fail by passing. To be fair, the passes may have been due to time since halftime was nearing. Averaging 3.83 yard per carry.

You get the point as it progresses to more passing. In the end, Montee Ball averaged 6 ypc and John Clay averaged 6.9. It was clear, from the stats alone, that they abandoned their method of success which was pounding the ball and ball/time control.

Changing tides a little bit, but Hosky said on Mack and Matt Saturday morning that he talked to Gabe Carimi at the Outland ceremony and Carimi said Nebraska will kill Wisconsin next year because they lost not only guys like Clay, Tolzien, and himself, but all of their leadership - apparently it was all the seniors.

Changing tides a little bit, but Hosky said on Mack and Matt Saturday morning that he talked to Gabe Carimi at the Outland ceremony and Carimi said Nebraska will kill Wisconsin next year because they lost not only guys like Clay, Tolzien, and himself, but all of their leadership - apparently it was all the seniors.

Ding ding ding!

All improvement from NU aside, Wisconsin is taking steps backwards. Honestly, is there a top team in the big ten that will be better this season??

From the research i've been doing, i'm going to have to say this year is a GREAT year to join the conference. NU trending up, big ten traditional powers trending down or stagnant.

Winning!

Ding ding ding!

All improvement from NU aside, Wisconsin is taking steps backwards. Honestly, is there a top team in the big ten that will be better this season??

From the research i've been doing, i'm going to have to say this year is a GREAT year to join the conference. NU trending up, big ten traditional powers trending down or stagnant.

Winning!

I'm not nearly as confident as you are, BUT you are correct - this is a good year to join. Outside of Penn St. and possibly Mich St. (who I'm still not a believer in), most of the conference last year was senior heavy. If Nebraska were making the move last year they would have lost a handful of games, but the loss of some really good seniors makes the road a little easier for NU. I still think they'll drop a game or two they probably shouldn't have just because of the strain of playing a whole season against all new, physical teams, but the chances this year are definitely better than they would have been last year.

gobiggergoredder - you completely ignore my #2 so I'll say it yet again. I'm not saying Wisconsin is going to suck because a guy threw a pick in a practice, I'm just saying it's a reminder that Wisconsin is replacing some VERY good players from their team of last year. Maybe you'll understand this after I type it for a fourth time...