Brion Carnes and Jamal Turner

I remember hearing a certain AM radio personality say that "from everything he hears," Carnes didn't have a good mental handle on the game... Hopefully when I tune in this next week I hear him eat some crow.

8-11, 2 TDs, 140 yards with time still to go in the 2nd half.

ummm... Bo said after the scrimmage that even as basic as they were today, Carnes was still swimming in it... so yeah.

So does that mean Martinez and green were "drowning in it" then?

I remember hearing a certain AM radio personality say that "from everything he hears," Carnes didn't have a good mental handle on the game... Hopefully when I tune in this next week I hear him eat some crow.

8-11, 2 TDs, 140 yards with time still to go in the 2nd half.

ummm... Bo said after the scrimmage that even as basic as they were today, Carnes was still swimming in it... so yeah.

So does that mean Martinez and green were "drowning in it" then?

Thats funny. Carnes stayed afloat and kept battling. The other 2 were sinking looking for the floaties.

I'm not sure where the "Martinez had a bad game" talk is coming from. I didn't see a bad game. I saw a decent, but not great game. Both Martinez and Green were victimized by drops. Martinez had an INT that went into the hands of his WR, out, and into the hands of the DB. Anyone blaming Martinez for his poor passing performance probably didn't watch the game. He did NOT look fundamentally sound, he still throws without a proper base, and he shotputs the ball sometimes, but overall, he was tolerable. He has a lot of work to do, though.

Martinez rolled to his left, threw on the run, and hit his WR. So much for the theory that he "can't" roll out. Ran for a first down on his first carry, got the edge. His worst-looking throw was an obvious dump into the only open spot on the field. I suppose if you didn't see what was happening you'd think he just threw the ball into the dirt, but he was throwing it away intentionally.

Green is going to be a TE someday. Or he'll ride the bench. He's not progressing, and it's frankly sad to see him go out there, lock onto one WR, and ignore the rest. Or run the "zone read" play without making a read.

Carnes looked quite good. His throwing motion, while long, looked the best of anyone - save RK3. He threw some darts, looked through his progressions, and he hit his targets reasonably well. He is definitely our #2 QB, and he'll be pushing Martinez for that #1 spot.

We ran several "zone read" plays which weren't read plays, just like last year. Many times the handoff was made while the DE was crashing down on the RB, and overall it was just an ugly play today. I really hope we scrap it. The way we're running it right now, it's ugly, slow and often not a true "read." I'm not sure what the point of it is, honestly.

Ron Kellogg III was fine today. He is probably the best pure passer we have, and he moved the offense reasonably well, I thought. I was pleasantly surprised with him.

Jamal Turner is the real deal. I cannot wait to see him light up opponents. His career is going to be quite fun to watch. He looked good in just about every phase of the game today. Not sure what I'd criticize if I had to find something.

wow back on the board... gotta be better about prioritizing during water polo season.. but fear not been following the board now and then... seems particularly slow on recruiting and the off-season stuff..... but from what i saw it seemed like we got what we expected.. to me the spring season practice hype didn't really match what i was hoping to see on the field... even if it was supposed to be 'vanilla'

however i was impressed with carnes and especailly turner... saw some guys on defense step up and that was rad... but over all it was kinda lame....

Anyone blaming Martinez for his poor passing performance probably didn't watch the game. He did NOT look fundamentally sound, he still throws without a proper base, and he shotputs the ball sometimes, but overall, he was tolerable. He has a lot of work to do, though.

To quote walksalone........ what?!?!?!?

Anyone blaming Martinez for his poor passing performance probably didn't watch the game. He did NOT look fundamentally sound, he still throws without a proper base, and he shotputs the ball sometimes, but overall, he was tolerable. He has a lot of work to do, though.

Did you watch the game?

Did you watch the game?

No I didnt. I just dont understand what you wrote.

Are you saying his poor performance wasnt his fault. We have known he wasnt fundamentally sound since about game 4 of last year. So this isnt a suprise.

Did you watch the game?

I'm tired. I'm probably not all that lucid. Not hard to believe.

I guess what I was getting at was that, while Martinez didn't evolve into Vince Ferragamo since 12/30/10, he didn't regress, either. He has basic QB fundamentals issues that have not been fixed since last year. But, having said that, his lack of gaudy stats in this game were not entirely his fault. His WRs were in traffic constantly. I don't think he had ten open receivers to choose from all game. He was the victim of bad luck on his INT, and he needs to, needs to, needs to improve overall as a passer. BUT, even with all that, he was fine today.

I don't want to sugar-coat it. He didn't have an impressive game. But it wasn't horrible, either. And a lot of it was not his fault. It was just the way the game progressed.

Did you watch the game?

I guess what I was getting at was that, while Martinez didn't evolve into Vince Ferragamo since 12/30/10, he didn't regress, either. He has basic QB fundamentals issues that have not been fixed since last year. But, having said that, his lack of gaudy stats in this game were not entirely his fault. His WRs were in traffic constantly. I don't think he had ten open receivers to choose from all game. He was the victim of bad luck on his INT, and he needs to, needs to, needs to improve overall as a passer. BUT, even with all that, he was fine today.

I don't want to sugar-coat it. He didn't have an impressive game. But it wasn't horrible, either. And a lot of it was not his fault. It was just the way the game progressed.

Ok, good anaylsis. So right now we have the same Taylor as we had around 4 months ago. So about 5 months from now, he needs to really get his game right.

Did you watch the game?

His INT was not because of bad luck; it was because he threw it behind his receiver(who would have run for a lot of yards after the catch had the ball been where it was supposed to be). He threw into double and triple coverage on several occassions as well. He looked pretty bad to me. And yes I watched the game. I guess my standards for a D1 qb must be higher, because to me, his performance was the very definition of horrible. Hopefully he'll improve by this fall, but I won't be surprised if the doesn't make much improvement throwing. I'm not going to put much stock into this game since it's just a scrimmage, but Taylor looks the same as the old Taylor, and we have a young guy that I believe will overtake him. And I don't see any way in hell that Green will be the #2 at the start of the season.

Did you watch the game?

His INT was not because of bad luck; it was because he threw it behind his receiver(who would have run for a lot of yards after the catch had the ball been where it was supposed to be). He threw into double and triple coverage on several occassions as well. He looked pretty bad to me. And yes I watched the game. I guess my standards for a D1 qb must be higher, because to me, his performance was the very definition of horrible. Hopefully he'll improve by this fall, but I won't be surprised if the doesn't make much improvement throwing. I'm not going to put much stock into this game since it's just a scrimmage, but Taylor looks the same as the old Taylor, and we have a young guy that I believe will overtake him. And I don't see any way in hell that Green will be the #2 at the start of the season.

Be careful of your over anaylsis on Taylor, you will be label a hater. Atleast Im not the only one seeing this. :hellloooo

Did you watch the game?

Be careful of your over anaylsis on Taylor, you will be label a hater. Atleast Im not the only one seeing this. :hellloooo

I would love for him to prove me wrong and lead us to the promised land. But I just don't think he is a good QB. If that makes me a hater then so be it. I just want the guy that gives us the best shot to win the game in there. I probably missed some things from my perch in row 68, but that's what I saw...

I didn't mean for this thread to turn out into a "Carnes better than Martinez" or "Carnes will be our starting QB" I just picked up that whenever Carnes threw the ball it was mostly to Turner. You could see with every pass Carnes threw to Turner you could sense that both these players trusted one another to do their job.

Carnes started getting confident throwing the ball to Turner because he was basically catching everything and then some by gaining more yards after the catch. Here are some examples of some great QB/WR chemistry, Joe Montana/Jerry Rice, Peyton Manning/Marvin Harrison, Tom Brady/Wes Welker, etc and I can see Carnes and Turner having that sort of player chemistry. Turner could be Carnes go to guy maybe even Martinez's go to guy but I didn't get to see what that chemistry would be since they were on opposite teams. I'm not saying that Carnes is the next Joe Montana and Turner is the next Jerry Rice, I'm just saying that while watching the spring game I just got that vibe that these two trusted each other knowing that both players were going to do their job.

I still believe that Martinez will be the #1 QB come fall camp and will be our starter for the 2011 season but Carnes is clearly the #2 QB IMO. I'm a Martinez and Carnes fan but I'll be rooting for all of the QB's and wishing them the best of luck but I just want the best one on the field on game days.

I didn't mean for this thread to turn out into a "Carnes better than Martinez" or "Carnes will be our starting QB" I just picked up that whenever Carnes threw the ball it was mostly to Turner. You could see with every pass Carnes threw to Turner you could sense that both these players trusted one another to do their job.

Carnes started getting confident throwing the ball to Turner because he was basically catching everything and then some by gaining more yards after the catch. Here are some examples of some great QB/WR chemistry, Joe Montana/Jerry Rice, Peyton Manning/Marvin Harrison, Tom Brady/Wes Welker, etc and I can see Carnes and Turner having that sort of player chemistry. Turner could be Carnes go to guy maybe even Martinez's go to guy but I didn't get to see what that chemistry would be since they were on opposite teams. I'm not saying that Carnes is the next Joe Montana and Turner is the next Jerry Rice, I'm just saying that while watching the spring game I just got that vibe that these two trusted each other knowing that both players were going to do their job.

I still believe that Martinez will be the #1 QB come fall camp and will be our starter for the 2011 season but Carnes is clearly the #2 QB IMO. I'm a Martinez and Carnes fan but I'll be rooting for all of the QB's and wishing them the best of luck but I just want the best one on the field on game days.

Same here. Just win baby! I'm getting sick of this conference title drought!