JUCO WR Maurice Purify

Purify bound for land of Cornhuskers

Brad Botkin

Maurice Purify

Former Eureka High superstar Maurice Purify has signed a letter of intent to play football in the Big 12 for the University of Nebraska next fall. Purify, who will attend school on a full athletic scholarship, made his decision following a tough defeat in the California Community Colleges Commission on Athletics Football Championship game. Mo's City College of San Francisco fell to Grossmont 41-38, a game that Purify was named offensive player of the game after catching seven passes for 104 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

Purify, who was heavily recruited by numerous top-notch programs including Washington, Washington State, Arizona and Texas A & M, said that in the end, he felt most wanted by the Cornhuskers, who flew the wide receiver to Nebraska earlier in the year to offer him a glimpse of what would be in store.

”They just showed me more interest,” said Purify. “They came to my house, came to my practice and met my mom.”

Purify is set to graduate with his AA degree from CCSF in May and will head to Nebraska immediately following to prepare with his new teammates for the 2006 season. And needless to say, he is anxiously awaiting the moment he gets to run out of the tunnel in front of the sea of red that has become synonymous with 'Husker home games.

”I'm excited, I'm really excited to get out there and play,” said Purify.

And don't look now, but Nebraska has a date in Los Angeles with USC next September, which will mean Humboldt County folks will have the rare opportunity to watch two of their former players to battle on the biggest stage. And after watching the success that Rey Maualuga has enjoyed this year at USC, Purify is raring to go.

”It's nationally televised, it's going to be fun,” said Purify. “I can't wait, I can't wait to play against Rey. It gets me fired up that Rey is doing so good, I'm impressed.”

Early on in the recruiting process Purify, who caught 57 balls for 1,051 yard and 15 touchdowns during the regular season, says that he wasn't all that interested in playing for Nebraska, citing the fact that Nebraska has traditionally been a run-oriented team, making it difficult for receivers like Purify to utilize their skills. But once the former Logger learned that former Raider head coach Bill Callihan had installed a system more molded to Purify's talent, Nebraska became a leading candidate to secure his services.

”When I saw that they (throw the ball), it really caught my interest,” said Purify.

And the rest is history. It's on to the big time.

The man has similar measurables to Randy Moss.

Except the sub 4.2 40 time, but who's counting? :lol: He seems to be a bonafide stud, though. Can anyone remember a receiver rated this highly, JUCO or high school, that has decided to come to Nebraska? The only receiver I could think of was Fryar, and I do not know how touted he was coming in since I was not born yet. ;)

If anyone runs a sub 4.2 forty, they need to be in the Olympics and not the NFL.

No one runs a LEGIT 4.2. Heck, not many run a LEGIT 4.3 even. If you see times like that, more than likely it's hand-held on a track with track cleats.

Donte Stallworth of the Saints ran a 4.17 at his work out for the draft. There are not many, but a few that are that fast. From what I have heard, Moss was faster than that yet. It very well may have been on a track with cletes, etc and hand held, but I would bet money that Moss is faster than Purify. Being that fast in a 40 yard dash doesn't necessarily translate to track and field success in which races are 100 meters or longer. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you about a trivial detail. I was asking if anyone remembered if there was a receiver as highly touted as Purify to come to Nebraska. Do you remember anyone?

Im pretty sure i asked if Purify was related to the purify from colorado before, and was told that he wasnt.... I guess that someone needs to actually research it before posting it...

You are right, it was my mistake for taking the word of a buffalo fan then actually researching it. You would think they know some football but that's what you get for listening to them.

When i was posting all the news articles this morning and posted the one that showed the connection of Bobby Purify's dad being Maurice's older brother,

Purify is an uncle of former Colorado tailback Bobby Purify (Maurice’s brother, in his 40s, is Bobby’s dad).

I read it and remembered somoene asking about it and was going to make a post about but i forgot to. My bad

If anyone runs a sub 4.2 forty, they need to be in the Olympics and not the NFL.

No one runs a LEGIT 4.2. Heck, not many run a LEGIT 4.3 even. If you see times like that, more than likely it's hand-held on a track with track cleats.

Donte Stallworth of the Saints ran a 4.17 at his work out for the draft. There are not many, but a few that are that fast. From what I have heard, Moss was faster than that yet. It very well may have been on a track with cletes, etc and hand held, but I would bet money that Moss is faster than Purify. Being that fast in a 40 yard dash doesn't necessarily translate to track and field success in which races are 100 meters or longer. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you about a trivial detail. I was asking if anyone remembered if there was a receiver as highly touted as Purify to come to Nebraska. Do you remember anyone?

Just trust me on this bro, no one runs a LEGITIMATE time of that quick. It all has to do in the time of the finger starting and stopping on the stop watch. NFL scouts ALWAYS rely on their handheld times, they hate using laser technology. They trust themself more than a computer, basically.

But I would guess that 4.17 times was timed differently. Their could've been 18 scouts there and I almost bet no more than 2-3 got the same time on that dash.

So many things can make 40 yard dash times look fantastic. Was their a wind? If their was a wind at his back it can/will make him go faster.

Did he run on turf?

Was he at a track? Did he use cleats?

So many different things will make kids 40 times unreal. But no one and I mean NO ONE in the NFL has a legit time of that quick. I highly doubt anyone has a legitimate low 4.3, much less a 4.1 forty.

As far as your question, yes we did. Mark LeFlore was a high 4* player. He was rated more highly than Mike Williams in his recruiting class. :)

Here's what a 4.17 40 time really equals out to.

The accepted standard to convert a hand-timed event to its automatically timed equivalent is to round up to the nearest tenth of a second -- in this case 4.17 -- and add .24 seconds. 4.17 would equal 4.41.

Most football 40s don't go on a starter's pistol but on an athlete's motion. The average reaction time among elite sprinters (from the gun to the moment they exert pressure on the starting block's electronic pads) is about .15 seconds; for a football player with little track experience it probably would be closer to .2. Add that in, and you have 4.61.

So in the real world a 4.17 would equal 4.61. And if you happen to be running outside you might have to compensate for wind. You could be looking at upwards of 5.0 40 yard dash out of a 4.17 handheld.

The fastest 40 ever is believed to come from Ben Johnson, with the assistance of the anabolic steroid "stanazolol". His time was 4.38.

Here's the read on that.

The shortest distance that the IAAF, track and field's international governing body, recognizes for world-record purposes is an indoor 50 meters, or about 54 yards. It is 5.56 seconds and it was set by Canadian sprinter Donovan Bailey in 1996. There is also a world record for 60 meters -- 6.39 seconds by American Maurice Greene in 1998.

But it is another Canadian, Ben Johnson, who is believed to have run 40 yards faster than any human in history. Johnson is best known for injecting copious amounts of steroids and winning the 100 meters at the 1988 Olympics in Seoul in 9.79 seconds, only to have his gold medal and world record stripped after failing a post-race drug test.

Timing officials have since broken down that famed race into 10-meter increments, and Johnson was so preposterously fast that he went through 50 meters in 5.52 seconds and 60 meters in 6.37 -- both under the current world records at those distances. He went through 40 yards that day in 4.38 seconds.

He was running in spikes . . . on a warm afternoon perfectly suited for sprinting . . . with a slight tailwind . . . with years of training from arguably track's top coach, Charlie Francis . . . with Carl Lewis and six others of the fastest men on the planet chasing him . . . with 69,000 people roaring at Seoul's Olympic Stadium . . . with hundreds of millions of people watching on TV . . . with the ultimate prize in sports, an Olympic gold medal, at stake.

And, as we learned later, with muscles built with the assistance of the anabolic steroid stanazolol.

Four-point-three-eight seconds.

Then again, maybe Ben Johnson isn't the fastest 40-yard man in the world.

Maybe many college players and half the NFL is faster than a stanazolol Ben Johnson.. NOT. :lol:

Great research and all, but my point was basically that there is no way Purify is as fast as Randy Moss. Moss was a track champion and probably one of the 3 fastest players in the NFL. When measuring the 2 players the same way, I am sure that the 40 times are distorted due to tons of factors, that is a given, but that was NOT MY POINT. Some of you guys looked WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOO DEEP into that.

As far as LeFlore being rated higher than Williams, I don't doubt it. Was he rated higher than Larry Fitzgerald that year too? I think LeFlore was the 15th rated receiver in the country. Purify is rated higher than that, I would think. Anyone rated higher than LeFlore?