JUCO WR Maurice Purify

No film on him. All they had to look at was the numbers, unless of course they went and watched a game, which might be why most of the teams that offered were west coast. Busch and Wags have done an amazing job scouting for talent in California and LANDING it. They really deserve a pat in the back. Rivals just recently picked up their first tape of him after his recruitment started to heat up. He was still a 4 star based on his team's success and the numbers he put up, and now that they have some tape, I wouldnt be surprised if he jumped to a five star after they re-evaluate their Jucos. It takes at least two guys to bring him down and he really goes up well for the ball.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=528&u_...3&u_sid=2082670

Maurice Purify, a 6-foot-4, 215-pound star at the City College of San Francisco, accepted the Huskers offer more than two months after he visited Lincoln to watch Nebraska play Texas Tech. He is the 21st member of this NU class, the sixth Californian and the ninth junior-college player.

He might also be one of the best.

"You've got a big receiver who can run like a deer and jump like a gazelle," said George Rush, his juco head coach. "He's tough. He can make all the catches. Sign him up. You're going to want to be his agent."

Purify, originally from Eureka, Calif., earned similar praise from Brad Hoiseth of JCGridon.com.

"Mo is a man among boys," Hoiseth said. "He's a guy with an NFL body that could step in right away and have a big impact.

Great news, but I won't really feel good about this one until we get the thumbs up from our buddies at the NCAA Clearinghouse.

Truely our first "big-time" Wide reciever. Same mold as Roy Williams, Dale Jarrett and other tall WR. He has 3 years to play 2. Now the question is: CAN HE PICK UP THE SYSTEM?????????????????????? He wont be here until MAY.

If he's in the same caliber as those guys why wasn't he recruited by one division 1 school and why isn't any of the big dog schools going after this guy? I just don't buy into most of these juco guys until they prove it. AFter all the hype bowman got about going pro and all this and then him being average at best I have a tough time.

It's not just Juco's that have to prove it. 4-5 star high school players have to prove it on the field as well.

How many of the 4-5 star players that " big" named schools are going after can walk onto the field and command a starting spot right away? Not many.

The two main recruiting services "think highly" enough of Purify, to name him the # 1 rated JC WR at both Rivals and Scout.

About Bowman, he's had hamstring problems most of the year. But go right ahead schestev, and keep bagging on Nebraska's players and the team like you always do.

Great news, but I won't really feel good about this one until we get the thumbs up from our buddies at the NCAA Clearinghouse.

Truely our first "big-time" Wide reciever.  Same mold as Roy Williams, Dale Jarrett and other tall WR.  He has 3 years to play 2.  Now the question is:  CAN HE PICK UP THE SYSTEM??????????????????????  He wont be here until MAY.

If he's in the same caliber as those guys why wasn't he recruited by one division 1 school and why isn't any of the big dog schools going after this guy? I just don't buy into most of these juco guys until they prove it. AFter all the hype bowman got about going pro and all this and then him being average at best I have a tough time.

Benard I think you have a tough time breathing! All your negativity is rather funny.

journal.jpg

Although Maurice Purify was recruited by several universities, none put forth as much effort during the process as Nebraska, he said.

Purify rewarded Husker coaches Wednesday for their diligence, becoming the second highly touted wide receiver to verbally commit to NU’s 2006 recruiting class. The 6-foot-4, 210-pound standout at City College of San Francisco became the 21st player overall — and ninth junior college athlete — known to have pledged to join the Huskers next season.

“I like that I can go in and play right away,” he said. “But I know I’m not going to get it for free. I’ll have to work.”

Purify, a native of Eureka, Calif., drew a five-star rating (out of five possible) from Scout.com and a four-star ranking from Rivals.com. He’ll have three seasons to play two at Nebraska.

“Nebraska’s getting a guy who — unless something odd happens — you’ll be paying to see play on Sundays (in the NFL),” said John Balano, an assistant coach and head strength and conditioning coach at City College of San Francisco. “He’s a big receiver who runs aggressive routes. He’s long and rangy and deceptively fast.”

City College of San Francisco, a traditional junior college power, recently completed a 10-2 season with a 41-38 loss to Grossmont College in the California state juco championship game. Purify finished the season with 56 receptions for 1,200 yards and 19 touchdowns after recording 11 touchdowns in 2004.

“We had some problems at quarterback this season, and Maurice adjusted to running a lot of possession-type routes,” Balano said. “He ran whatever route he needed to run to help the team.”

A two-year starter for the Rams, Purify also had scholarship offers from Arizona, Kentucky, Oregon State and Washington. He’s rated by Rivals.com as the nation’s No. 12 junior college player. He visited Lincoln the weekend of Oct. 8, when Nebraska lost a 34-31 decision to Texas Tech in the final seconds.

“It’s an NFL-style offense,” Purify said of Nebraska coach Bill Callahan’s West Coast system. “It’s all about getting a lot of different receivers the ball with a lot of room to run. I like it.”

Purify is an uncle of former Colorado tailback Bobby Purify (Maurice’s brother, in his 40s, is Bobby’s dad).

Nebraska’s list of commitments for 2006 also includes Menelik Holt, a 6-3, 210-pound prep wide receiver from San Diego.

In Purify, Balano said, Nebraska is getting a wideout who’s been tested for two years in a difficult juco conference. Purify wasn’t recruited by any Division I-A schools coming out of high school.

“We probably play in the toughest conference in California,” Balano said. “Week in and week out, we’re playing Division I-A talent. He’s going to thrive in Nebraska’s environment.”

Purify plans to graduate from City College in May and move to Lincoln shortly thereafter

Link

owh.gif

Huskers land potential game-breaking receiver

Check off another recruiting objective as accomplished for Nebraska football coach Bill Callahan.

It was just a week ago when Callahan recited a list of his top remaining objectives in recruiting this season. On it was the need for help on the offensive line, at safety and wide receiver.

NU landed oral commitments from a pair of linemen and a touted safety out of its group of visitors last weekend. On Wednesday, the Huskers got their wide receiver.

Maurice Purify, a 6-foot-4, 215-pound star at the City College of San Francisco, accepted the Huskers offer more than two months after he visited Lincoln to watch Nebraska play Texas Tech. He is the 21st member of this NU class, the sixth Californian and the ninth junior-college player.

He might also be one of the best.

"You've got a big receiver who can run like a deer and jump like a gazelle," said George Rush, his juco head coach. "He's tough. He can make all the catches. Sign him up. You're going to want to be his agent."

A four-star prospect rated by rivals.com as the nation's No. 12 junior-college player, Purify caught 56 passes for more than 1,100 yards and 15 touchdowns in the regular season this fall.

He followed that performance with four more touchdowns in the two playoff games as the City College of San Francisco lost to Grossmont (Calif.) College, 41-38, Saturday in the junior-college state title game.

"He was the offensive MVP even though we lost," said Eduardo Nuno, the offensive line coach at the City College of San Francisco. "We just didn't have enough snaps to get him the play. He did everything for us.

"We're going to be paying to watch him play some day."

Purify, originally from Eureka, Calif., earned similar praise from Brad Hoiseth of JCGridon.com.

"Mo is a man among boys," Hoiseth said. "He's a guy with an NFL body that could step in right away and have a big impact.

The Huskers return top receivers Nate Swift and Terrence Nunn next season. They have already received a commitment from high school senior Menelik Holt of San Diego, but Purify appears to give Nebraska a potential game-breaker at the position.

"Let's just say he gets a lot of mail here," Nuno said.

The City College of San Francisco has sent 36 players to Division I-A programs over the past two years. The school's alumni include Arizona Cardinals linebacker Lance Mitchell, formerly of Oklahoma, and New York Giants safety Gibril Wilson, who played at Tennessee.

The school also produced Nebraska senior offensive tackle Cornealius Fuamata-Thomas.

Purify picked Nebraska over offers from Arizona, Oregon State, Washington and Kentucky. He plans to sign a letter of intent Feb. 1 and will have three years to complete two seasons of eligibility.