Huskers vs K State

I've totally missed the first two games and though I've read the papers and listened to what little post game audio I could, I find myself wondering how we have scored as few runs. Its not like we are facing the top rotation in the conference. Have we just not gotten the timely hit or are the bats really this cold?

Edit: Just checked the conference stats, skers are dead last in batting and 8th in pitching. :(

Big 12 Stats Link

What are realistic odds of making a regional at this point?

I think the Big XII gets five, mabye six teams in max. And that may be a stretch with the strength of the ACC, SEC and West Coast teams. So ya have Texas, A&M, OU, and OSU at this point and then a dog fight for maybe two spots. NU has the impressive series win against UCLA to hang its hat on and that is about it. NU's series with Boomer this weekend is big. They might have one of the best staffs on paper, and they are rock solid at home(18-3). If NU can maintain their momentum from today's win into a win opening TDAmeritrade and into a series win in Norman, I'll go out on the limb and say 60/40 they can get in. However, a 1 of 3 series puts them back to a coin flip and a sweep really really hurts.

The bats need to wake up, and maybe this Dr Jeckyll/Mr Hyde team finds a rhythm and an identity.

personally, i've tired of the nay sayers...

this is what I [think] I know:

- the huskers have been in "every" game they've lost in conference but one... (the OSU middle game)

- the skers seemingly are playing to the talent level and therefore will be focused this weekend against OU

- the bats are snake bitten, the swings are there, the strategies of the game are being used (hit and runs, bunts, moving runners, etc...) and eventually the hits will happen.

- the series win against K State allows the skers a fresh start and skers fans need to jump on board.

- the biggest games are ahead of us. Home games are: Baylor, A&M, Road Games are: OU and Texa$$ if we split these we are in regional talk.

- the Big 12 tourney is huge for us, finish in the top 4 and we are in.

My prediction is a top 5 finish, 3 wins in the conference tourney and a regional showing. Yes the we are at or near the bottom in both pitching and batting in the Big 12 but.... the series loss weight is removed (the Huskers lifted a gorilla off their backs with Monday's win) and hopefully the players can feed off their recent success. Also, for those of you thinking the Creighton series isn't huge, think again. That series may decide a regional spot for the winner. Creighton afterall is leading the MVC.

I'll agree that this was a good series win for the team, but I sure as heck am not even getting my hopes up. This team is only consistent in their inconsistency so far, and I don't see anything to change that on the horizon.

Having said that, it would be nice to see them rebound and start taking series, especially since we've got the big boys in the conference coming up. Not going to hold my breath, but I will at least watch (believe two of the OU/NU games are on TV this week).

As for Creighton, it doesn't matter. Bottom line is that they're an unranked OOC series from a weak (this year) conference. Creighton is one of those teams that we should always beat, but it pays little dividend to do so, and it kicks us in the cojones if we drop the series to them--very little upside, significant downside. UCLA win--good series win. Creighton--no one cares.

And even if Creighton does matter to someone on the selection committee out there, there's the nasty Fresno State series loss that would negate any good that would come from the UCLA and Creighton series wins. That's why we should focus on our conference play--winning out the series in Big XII play will get us a spot in the tourney, not beating up on Creighton.

lol, your comments cancel one another out. First you say "it doesn't matter", then you say a loss to them is a "kick in the conjones" and finally you say "even if Creighton does matter ..... we should focus on our conference".

Which is it? Is the Creighton series important, can we afford to be kicked in the conjones?

or...

Is the Creighton series nothing more then 3 games that won't be considered by the selection committee?

Personally, I think you have already said the Creighton series is "extremely" important because we can't be kicked in the conjones and expect the committee to overlook the series loss. (if we lose which I don't expect)

For the record Creighton IS ranked in the Baseball America poll. Also if they keep up their winning in the MVC and win the conference that puts them in the regionals, and a series win over another postseason team DOES look good to the committee. So, the Creighton series is a big thing. Plus, any wins over teams that have FAR better RPIs than NU(Creighton is in this group) only helps the total resume of work.

And by the way mathew, you do realize that Fresno State is 25-5 right? That "nasty" series looks like NU got bested by a pretty damn good team.

Every series left for NU is important. More emphasis is put on conference of course because of the recent futility by NU, but right now a Creighton series win looks pretty good.

lol, your comments cancel one another out. First you say "it doesn't matter", then you say a loss to them is a "kick in the conjones" and finally you say "even if Creighton does matter ..... we should focus on our conference".

Which is it? Is the Creighton series important, can we afford to be kicked in the conjones?

or...

Is the Creighton series nothing more then 3 games that won't be considered by the selection committee?

Personally, I think you have already said the Creighton series is "extremely" important because we can't be kicked in the conjones and expect the committee to overlook the series loss. (if we lose which I don't expect)

Meh, I didn't say that well, did I? :laughpound

There's no benefit to us playing Creighton--a win does nothing for NU's tourney hopes, and a loss weighs heavily against us. It's akin to some of the non-con teams Nebraska plays in football that we're expected to beat (like Fresno St. coming up in 2011)--if we win, it was expected all along and no big deal, but if we lose, it gets held against the team disproportionately for the remainder of the season.

Frankly, if we were to do away with playing Creighton next year (and scheduled better non-con teams) I wouldn't shed a tear over it.

And I don't mean to be ugly here--while I'll watch whenever Nebraska baseball is on (looking forward to next year in the B1G and watching many more games in HD), I certainly am not going to expect much from MA's team again this season. Who knows--maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised and MA will finally get things turned around, but considering MA's track record the past few seasons, can you really hold it against me for being more than a tinge skeptical?

And I didn't see where Creighton was ranked anywhere. Sorry I missed that.