Huskers vs OU

to all the MA bashers (of which I've been the biggest) and NU pessimists, I'd like to know if our series win and Ehlers 5.1 innings Tuesday has given others hope. Personally, I expected us to win the Creighton series however, I "think" I saw a team gell together and stand strong in the face of adversity last Tuesday night. Maybe I'm returning to my usual self and wearing the rose colored glasses while drinking the sweet wine of foolish hope but... one has to admit, the 9th inning win over KSU and the hard fought 8th against Creighton was something we didn't have the previous two seasons. In fact, the skers seem to be gaining more and more confidence as the season continues and I don't think its much of a stretch to project a series win against OU. (Lets face it, OU has been having issues of its own and their pitching has been average over the last couple weekends) After reviewing the conference stats I for one am more then hopeful and will be the first to predict a series win.

Whom (if any) share my hope/prediction?

I knew slowly you'd come around Hacker. Always gotta rib ya on that.

Anyways, the way I see it is this series could come down to Keller. He has lights out early on and now appears to be hitting a bit of a wall. his last couple of starts, KSU(5.1 one run given up) good, KU(2.2 innings, but 50+pitches) neh, and OSU 4.2(and shelled pretty badly. Threw 105 pitches in only 5 innings at Tech as well. More or less the kid gives good effort, but racks up the pitch count very quickly. If he can give Nu a good start and pitch into the 6th I think Nu has a great chance to steal this series.

Freeman has pitched well and Ehlers will start Sunday and is riding a high momentum and confidence wave that he hopefully continues. It could be interesting. The big stat that you really need to know about OU is 18-3. That is their record in Norman. And it seems a lot of times when NU and OU meet, Boomer brings the big sticks to the fight. SHOULD be a good one.

Agreed, should be a good one.

Also, I think in past years Newman was much more predictable and coaches that were telling their boys to swing away at the fastball (especially first pitch) did well. OU had this philosophy as did Servis from Creighton. Well.. we've seen what Newman's new arms have done to that belief this year and so.. I'm actually really confident in our chances. I think Freeman and Hauptman can win tonight's game and Ehlers and the bullpen can win Sunday's. I also think Keller plays better at home right now but that should probably be expected. If he could develop a change up he'd be unhitable.

The Journal Star has Niederklein starting on Sunday. I figured Logan would be a lock. Tyler has pitched well, but Logan was brought here to start and a lot of us on here knew what he can bring to the table. Maybe they are banking on Freeman and Casey tonight, Keller and Vogt tomorrow, and Tyler and Logan on Sunday. Who knows, just a little suprised.

After the Creighton game, I thought maybe the team would go .500 the rest of the way... MAYBE. Foolish me, I should have known better.

What amazes me is that this team seems to have some solid talent, I don't know how MA keeps bringing them in, but it's there. It'd be great to find a coach while there's still talent hanging around... a few more years of this and there won't be much talent to be found and the new guy will be starting from scratch.

Wow we lose two and get a rain out and no one post's anything??????

I'm still listening/watching, but I'm still not happy.

Elsewhere, an article was mentioned where Sipple claimed that Nebraska could still make the tourney, despite our team not having won a Big XII series in quite some time. Don't understand that logic--other than Creighton (which doesn't look good after Creighton choked against SIU this weekend), Nebraska's lone shining series came against UCLA.

More and more, as we watch A&M succeed...it becomes readily apparent we kept the wrong man for the job when Van Horn left.

Elsewhere, an article was mentioned where Sipple claimed that Nebraska could still make the tourney, despite our team not having won a Big XII series in quite some time. Don't understand that logic--other than Creighton (which doesn't look good after Creighton choked against SIU this weekend), Nebraska's lone shining series came against UCLA.

More and more, as we watch A&M succeed...it becomes readily apparent we kept the wrong man for the job when Van Horn left.

its was a fix. when our ad left for a&m i think he wanted to take childress with him and did. i dont think nebraska had any say in that matter. but you are right, it would have been nice to keep a childress around. i think erstad is the man in waiting and if this has been discussed with TO and comes to fruition im sure that erstad has his guys lined up and ready to take on the big 10 next year. im sure he has had his feelers out and knows of some good up and coming coaches that can fill roles and recruit. i look forward to the erstad era here in husker nation.

its was a fix. when our ad left for a&m i think he wanted to take childress with him and did. i dont think nebraska had any say in that matter. but you are right, it would have been nice to keep a childress around. i think erstad is the man in waiting and if this has been discussed with TO and comes to fruition im sure that erstad has his guys lined up and ready to take on the big 10 next year. im sure he has had his feelers out and knows of some good up and coming coaches that can fill roles and recruit. i look forward to the erstad era here in husker nation.

I know HuskerHacker has posted batting stats so far this year, and they're not impressive. In fact, an argument could be made that they are worse than last year as we had more fluff teams with which to pad our stats.

However, it does seem that the batters are more aggressive than last year, and I suspect it would be just as easy to make a case for success on the part of Erstad. But I'm not seeing how handing over the keys to Erstad would be a good thing right now. Maybe in three-five years, but not now.

Having said this, I guess if Dr. Tom approaches the B1G as a baseball conference weak enough for Erstad to be able to have success while cutting his teeth, then I suppose I could see his appointment. But that's really downplaying the potential for B1G baseball, especially in the near future, and telling of Dr. Tom's opinion of the sport in the conference.