Nebraska Booted from the AAU

I couldn't give a crap less about the AAU. When does football start?

That wont matter soon. How are we going to get top recruits if we aren't even an AAU school?

LOL I can see it now..."So here's the University of Nebraska, Mr. Top Football recruit. We have one of the richest traditions in college football, an NCAA record sell out streak, top notch facilities, and a dedicated staff with a track record of developing recruits into NFL caliber players."

Recruit: "Yes, but are you in AAU school?"

"Um, no, we aren't but we...."

Recruit: "Sorry, this obviously is not the place for me. Can someone please take me to Boulder?"

• Fire 1

Also, if Dr. Perlman KNEW that there was a danger that NU would get booted out, why wasn't something done about it WAAAYYYY before now?

I doubt there are specific actions that can be taken at the drop of a hat to boost research funding or whatever the specific metrics are.

Here's something to think about: Since 1999 tuition at MIT has quadrupled while it's "only" doubled at UNL. There are arguments that the mad dash to expand university research and funding has come at the expense of undergrads with higher tuition and absentee professors. Pork spending in the federal budget is quite often research grants requested by congressmen for their home district or state, and on that note the only tangible benefit of the AAU is their lobbying arm.

That wont matter soon. How are we going to get top recruits if we aren't even an AAU school?

LOL I can see it now..."So here's the University of Nebraska, Mr. Top Football recruit. We have one of the richest traditions in college football, an NCAA record sell out streak, top notch facilities, and a dedicated staff with a track record of developing recruits into NFL caliber players."

Recruit: "Sorry, this obviously is not the place for me. Can someone please take me to Boulder?"

That...was pretty damn funny.

This IS embarassing for the university though. Now we get to be the dunce school in our new conference. Awesome. I can just see the sneering dismissal that will follow every conference win for us: "Well of COURSE they're winning. The hardest class they offer is 'corn-shucking' and 'learning to smile without your teeth." This sucks.

Embarrassing. You can make all of the "well it unfairly weighs ______" arguments you want. It's still flat out embarrassing.

Maybe that will take your ego down a notch.

Really, this is getting old. There seems to be a chant from visiting Big Ten fans on various Nebraska boards that NU fans are being "arrogant." Based on what? For every doofus guaranteeing a Nebraska title, there are ten others worrying about another lame offense or loss of key players on defense. You'll be hard-pressed to find more than a few people who honestly think we're going to "win 'em all."

I assume you don't like Nebraska fans reciting the program's history, but five national titles, three Heisman winners, and multiple conference titles are facts. If you're complaining about Nebraska fans mouthing off on Big Ten boards, those are called "trolls" and rarely represent the overall fan base.

Before you start slamming someone else's "ego", perhaps you should look at whether they're genuinely trying to make you feel bad, or if it's insecurity on your part.

I am a Nebraska fan in case you weren't aware. My comment is in reference to his arrogance because he's a law student at UNL. And quit reciting everything we did pre-2002. That is really starting to get embarrassing.

This is less about Nebraska being a good university than it is about the AAU saying, "We don't value the kind of research you do."

Nebraska isn't Harvard, but it isn't peanuts, either. Nor does this in any way alter what we were when the Big 10 came after us last year. We are, in fact, a better school this year than last. And we'll be better next year than this year.

In fact, we're in a better position now than we were ten years ago, and we weren't kicked out then.

Ask yourself what changed.

This is less about Nebraska being a good university than it is about the AAU saying, "We don't value the kind of research you do."

Nebraska isn't Harvard, but it isn't peanuts, either. Nor does this in any way alter what we were when the Big 10 came after us last year. We are, in fact, a better school this year than last. And we'll be better next year than this year.

In fact, we're in a better position now than we were ten years ago, and we weren't kicked out then.

Anything from your source on the appeal?

Anything from your source on the appeal?

Nothing, and I wouldn't expect anything any time soon. Frankly, I don't know that this can be appealed. If it can, it'll take a while. These guys don't meet often.

I see your point, but remember.....recruits have moms too.

12 years of governors squeezing funding for the state universities hasn't helped.

I would be very interested to see how state funding for UNL per student compares to other schools in the AAU. Not trying to be overly political here but it seems like every time there's a budget problem in this state schools are the first in line for cuts.

Something to think about when trying to put this into context is, as mentioned some schools were not AAU when they came in. Now with the way the Big Ten splits up the money, all those schools are now AAU. Even if the Big ten knew Nebraska might get dropped, I am sure they fully expect that once they are in the conference for awhile, they will improve in this area, the same way everyone else did. So, you all will most likely see alot going on at your school in the next 10 years.