Nebraska Booted from the AAU

Not really Harvey's fault re. the Med Center not being part of UNL. That was done way back in the early seventies when the system was formed. The Med Center was removed from UNL (it had been a part of UNL for 70 years at that point). This has all been apparent to the system and Regents for many years; that the way they'd organized things was putting UNL in a very vulnerable position w/r/t AAU membership. Really more of a Milliken/Regents deal if you want to find blame locally. Perlman made good arguments; no one could have provided better leadership for UNL in the AAU review.

Check the documents at http://chronicle.com/article/Documents-Related-to-U-of/127360/

UNL not gunning to rejoin AAU

LINCOLN — Having lost its tooth-and-nail battle to remain part of a prestigious organization of research universities, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln will make no further attempts to rejoin the group, top NU officials said Monday.

UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman said there was no hope at this point of changing the Association of American Universities' decision to oust UNL.

Perlman said UNL also could have withdrawn but decided not to go quietly.

“We thought about it but felt it would be an insult to the quality of our university,” he said. “I thought then, and I still do think, that we were qualified to be a member of this organization.”

So there will be no appeal, whether there is an appeal process or not. We can put that rumor (my apologies for starting it) to bed.

There's more in the article, both positive and negative about Nebraska, but frankly at this point, who cares? They don't want us, so F 'em. We've got the CIC, Innovation Campus, and sundry other things going on at UNL.

Exactly. I've been preaching about the CIC for a year now. Most folks are focused on football, which is no surprise considering the focus of HuskerBoard, but BTN and Big Ten football revenue aside, the CIC was a tremendous home run for UNL. Probably the single most significant thing that has happened to this university since we invented the McRib.

Are you sure, Knapplc? I mean, the McRib is pretty damn tasty...

...crap, now I'm hungry. Thanks. :facepalm:

Probably the single most significant thing that has happened to this university since we invented the McRib.

Don't forget we also invented the flat iron steak. Between the flat iron and McRib, that's probably more than half of the AAU universities have contributed to practical research!

• Fire 1

Probably the single most significant thing that has happened to this university since we invented the McRib.

Don't forget we also invented the flat iron steak. Between the flat iron and McRib, that's probably more than half of the AAU universities have contributed to practical research!

I did forget that! DOH!!!!!

I like flat iron steaks. The Boss likes ribeyes, so we get them most often, but flat irons are good eating. That's a tremendous advancement, too.

Screw you, AAU.

I did forget that! DOH!!!!!

I like flat iron steaks. The Boss likes ribeyes, so we get them most often, but flat irons are good eating. That's a tremendous advancement, too.

Screw you, AAU.

okay okay, I have returned the flat iron steak as my avatar. :)