Sports Nightly

I heard today that John Bishop is no longer the host of Sports Nightly. According to what I heard on 1620 in Omaha, it was not Bishop's decision to leave. I'm just wondering if anyone in Husker land knows what happened.

I really liked Gary Sharpe as host of Sports Nightly and didn't like it when he got the boot. I'm wondering if somewhere Bishop failed to follow the partly line of Pinnacle Sports and was booted in the same manner as Sharpe.

I've heard that if you dont follow the AD/Pinnacle line, you get the boot. Even Kevin Kugler/1620 (hosts Big Red Wrapup on NET and does play by play NU baseball) stated last week that he needs to watch what he says, otherwise, pud the hatchet man may come and get him (if you read between the lines). He mentioned this when Norvell was on his show after the Pitt game, I believe.

What you say probably has merit. I used to love that show, but since it has become the ADs mouthpiece, it is almost impossible to listen to. I like Kugler/Severe because they can at least be impartial, for the most part :thumbs:thumbs

Man thats kinda disappointing. I dont have much of a barometer living out of state, but from what I heard of Bishop after the last 2 games I thought he did a good job breaking down the game, was well spoken & somewhat amusing - mainly b/c I didnt get that sense from him that the AD had their hand up his proverbial puppet hole. but ostensibly that was the cause of his demise. bummer. I love Iraqi radio.

Even Kevin Kugler/1620 (hosts Big Red Wrapup on NET and does play by play NU baseball) stated last week that he needs to watch what he says,

Kugler is a two-faced, snake in grass, back stabbing little weasel and deserves to get the boot. The little twerp comes on Big Red Wrap-up and is all rah-rah with his phony baloney support and interest in the Huskers. Then the next day he goes into all out attack mode with a non-stop diatribe of derogatory, defamatory comments concerning the NU athletic programs. He lucky he still has a job with NU. I know if I tried a stunt like he pulls all the time with my employer I would be hitting the bricks immediately.

Of course, I'm sure a man like this that has no integrity is the type of person you admire and look up to.

Even Kevin Kugler/1620 (hosts Big Red Wrapup on NET and does play by play NU baseball) stated last week that he needs to watch what he says,

Kugler is a two-faced, snake in grass, back stabbing little weasel and deserves to get the boot. The little twerp comes on Big Red Wrap-up and is all rah-rah with his phony baloney support and interest in the Huskers. Then the next day he goes into all out attack mode with a non-stop diatribe of derogatory, defamatory comments concerning the NU athletic programs. He lucky he still has a job with NU. I know if I tried a stunt like he pulls all the time with my employer I would be hitting the bricks immediately.

Of course, I'm sure a man like this that has no integrity is the type of person you admire and look up to.

I guess if what you mean by "no integrity" is a man who voices his true opinion, even though its not the "popular opinion", then yes, I do look up to him. I much more respect someone who has an opinion and voices it, above someone like you who wants to censor his voice just because you dont agree with him :dumdum . BTW, Ive never heard him attack the program, he is very middle of the road and has the ability to step back and look at things objectively. It certainly is refreshing to say the least :thumbs So what you are saying is that he should just shut up and tow the line like those on 1110 have to, or risk getting fired?? I guess the first admendment is dead in your eyes <_<

Gee, and I thought the freedom of expression was one of the principles that our country was founded on and our forefathers died for, or was I wrong :wacko: Is your definition of integrity saying things that only YOU believe in??

Bishop Exits Sports Nightly

Bishop phased out from 'Sports Nightly'

BY JEFF KORBELIK / Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Oct 08, 2005 - 01:14:34 am CDT

The Pinnacle Sports Network has phased out on-air personality John Bishop.

Bishop was one of Pinnacle’s free-lance talents who hosted “Sports Nightly” and handled the football post-game show. He worked his last “Sports Nightly” shift Thursday evening.

Pinnacle President Paul Aaron said releasing Bishop was planned because the network will produce and air many of its programs from its newly expanded studio in Gretna.

Bishop lives in Lincoln, where he’s news and sports director at news-talk KLIN (1400 AM).

“We’re hiring our own people and taking total control of our production,” Aaron said.

Bishop said he expected his release. His Pinnacle duties have decreased, beginning with his removal from Nebraska baseball play-by-play broadcasts last May.

“I’ve been prepared for all of this,” he said. “I just didn’t know how many weeks or months it was going to be before they didn’t need me anymore.”

Triad Broadcasting general manager Mark Halverson said Bishop will take a more active daytime role at KLIN. Triad owns KLIN and three other stations in Lincoln.

“We’re very excited about what John will be able to do for us,” Halverson said.

As for the Pinnacle broadcasts, Matt Davison and Randy Lee worked Friday’s night two-hour “Sports Nightly” at the Nebraska Bookstore in Lincoln.

Aaron said Lee, Davison and football and baseball play-by-play announcer Jim Rose will rotate hosting the talk show. Veteran broadcaster Gary Java will handle football post-game shows.

Reach Jeff Korbelik at 473-7213 or jkorbelik@journalstar.com.

I guess if what you mean by "no integrity" is a man who voices his true opinion, even though its not the "popular opinion", then yes, I do look up to him. I much more respect someone who has an opinion and voices it, above someone like you who wants to censor his voice just because you dont agree with him :dumdum . BTW, Ive never heard him attack the program, he is very middle of the road and has the ability to step back and look at things objectively. It certainly is refreshing to say the least :thumbs So what you are saying is that he should just shut up and tow the line like those on 1110 have to, or risk getting fired?? I guess the first admendment is dead in your eyes <_<

Gee, and I thought the freedom of expression was one of the principles that our country was founded on and our forefathers died for, or was I wrong :wacko: Is your definition of integrity saying things that only YOU believe in??

There's a difference between voicing your opinion AND still being respectful and just defaming someone or something. This guy falls into the latter. He went on Big Red Wrap up, then on a radio show and totally did a 180 in what he was saying. I'm going with Wharf Rat on this one.

Oh and the first amendment is alive and well and it irks me when people start yelling about it. I am sure the gestapo won't be out looking for anyone for what they say tonight :thumbs The first amendment basically says you can say what you want (without defamation, libel, etc) and you don't have to worry about the government coming to get you. Notice I said government, not some guy on a messageboard. Let's not get too sensational here.

There's a difference between voicing your opinion AND still being respectful and just defaming someone or something. This guy falls into the latter. He went on Big Red Wrap up, then on a radio show and totally did a 180 in what he was saying. I'm going with Wharf Rat on this one.

I guess I would disagree with you there. I have never heard Kugler just defame someone or something. When I listen to him, I do think that there are times when he is frustrated and WANTS to go off, but he restrains himself. Does he play a different part on BRW as opposed to UC, yes, but when the AD holds a gun to your head, what do you want to do??

Oh and the first amendment is alive and well and it irks me when people start yelling about it. I am sure the gestapo won't be out looking for anyone for what they say tonight  :thumbs  The first amendment basically says you can say what you want (without defamation, libel, etc) and you don't have to worry about the government coming to get you. Notice I said government, not some guy on a messageboard. Let's not get too sensational here.

I know, but it also irks me when someone decries someone for expressing their opinion, just because it is different from their own.

I took in Big Red Reaction and all of the postgame on my drive back out west, and whoever took over for Bishop is awful. Couldn't get a sentence out of his mouth without having to repeat something and add atleast 2 "uh's" in each sentence. I hope he was just a fill in because he had nothing interesting to say...

Gary Java was doing the post game radio stuff last night, so apparently he's John Bishop's replacement.

I can't stand listening to Java. You're right in that he can't get a sentence out and he never seems to have any insight. A caller can ask a good question and Java has no clue.