Beck pleased with growth of offense this spring

I can't wait to see what the offense can do. I like the new talent and the new coach. We also seem to have some depth so that we can work through an injury. I liked the quote "You can't score if you don't have the ball" I wonder if the offense got content to rest on the shoulders of the defense. Any way as a fan it kills me to think what a solid offense could do with this defense.

Beck said there were some timing and communication issues in the game from both teams, but those mistakes were to be expected because of the unusual circumstances presented by the draft format of the Spring Game.

Am I the only one who read that part and thought, well then, don't have the draft format! It's not as if these "circumstances" aren't completely under the coaching staff's control. If these issues present themselves year after year, why not have 1's vs 1's?

I'm with you zoogies. If practices are at such a premium why would you basically waste one? Why not pit #1 O with #2 D on one team and #1 D with #2 O and fill in with the 3rd and 4th stringers and let them go at it? It's not like people are going to say it wasn't fair? All we want as fans is what's best for the team.

I've never understood how you pretty much just throw away a practice.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either. Especially for cfb where practices are so limited and few one would think every single one is to precious to throw away.

For what it's worth, I just listened to Mike Bellotti on College Football Live when he was discussing Boise State's self imposed sanction of taking away three practices. He said that during fall camp, they often didn't even participate in all of the alloted practices that they were given, due to injury and fatigue...i know things may be different in the spring, but maybe losing out on one scrimmage isn't a big deal

I can't wait to see what the offense can do. I like the new talent and the new coach. We also seem to have some depth so that we can work through an injury. I liked the quote "You can't score if you don't have the ball" I wonder if the offense got content to rest on the shoulders of the defense. Any way as a fan it kills me to think what a solid offense could do with this defense.

i hope we get to find out soon!

It is great that we have a kid like Jamal, with how electric he is with the ball in his hands and the kind of athleticism he brings to the table, who is also willing to just do anything for the team. Really, we have had nothing but complete positive from him ever since his recruitment and (very early) commitment. He was almost ridiculously loyal to Nebraska from the beginning and I never quite understood how he got to that point, but am very pleased about it, of course.

A great guy to have on the team. I echo your sentiments, Dude.

Teacher, I think that's a pretty good reason (reason #2 anyway). I wonder if there are other scrimmages that are closer to 1s vs 1s, that are simply closed practices, earlier in spring practice.

I guess there's just a disconnect between all this talk of the Spring Game being just some basic, vanilla fun where we don't show anything and mish-mash all the teams, and the denial of any TV rights so that we can keep our ultra-secret latest developments under wraps.

On the one hand you have Beck talking like this was just some fun reward for everyone and not a legitimate practice, and on the other you have TO talking about it like it's a very important scrimmage and serious evaluation tool that we don't want to put on tape.

To the bold - hear, hear. Exactly my sentiments about the guy. Great to have him, and if you had a team of guys with his personality you'd have a damned fine character team.

To the italicized - it doesn't make sense, does it? I have no idea why they wouldn't have televised that, unless they knew they were just going to screw around and didn't want to let the world in on that, but even that's a weird excuse. And the disparate statements from TO and Beck seem like they just didn't get the same scripted coachspeak or something. Weird.

I read this at another forum. Apparently a Husker fan recently ran into Shawn Watson at a Starbucks in Cincinnati. He figured he was on a recruiting trip since he was decked out in Louisville gear. Didn't feel it was worth creating a thread for, so thought I'd slot it in this particular thread since it's offense-related. Take it for what it's worth.

Although, I am one of the people that thought he had to go, he is a VERY nice guy and very willing to have a conversation. I enjoyed talking with him.

I asked him for a couple words on TM and he was more than willing to share, but I'm not sure what I can post here. He said when he got hurt, TM lost his head and it eventually crept into his heart. He needs to get over that, but not sure he can. He said maturity might take over, but that remains to be seen. He said that TM was such a phenomenal athlete, they had to get him on the field. He was so fast, they needed his feet, but he was a project. He has only had three seasons as a quarterback.

I also asked him about Brion. He said he is a student of the game and loves to study it. If he can do that, he should do very well and could very well be our guy. He said, TM is not and does not. He thought he could just come in and give it a go and succeed. We all know how that went.

There's not a lot here that we didn't already know, but thought I would share.

Overall, it was a very good conversation and he had nothing but good things to say about Nebraska. Was also amazed that we fans are EVERYWHERE!