Looking for a hotel that is very close to your campus

Here in Hoover (Birmingham 'burb), most UA & AU fans are tolerable, but there's always the ubertard that ruins the fun for everyone. As you'd expect, it's the AU tards that are squawking the loudest now (my brother-in-law is one of the worst). A lot of that has taken a back seat for the time being after the tornadoes, but it will return soon enough. There's a few NU fans I know around here - there's even a mixed Husker/Horns family on the street behind me, but for the most part it's a football wasteland if you want to talk ball involving anyone other than Auburn or Alabama - can't even get a decent discussion about UAB or Troy going around here hah.

Thanks Dude, I love wings...Take care

I actually like the wings better at Brewsky's on South street but you'll need to take a cab as its well south of down town. They have a BBQ wing that rivals any sauce I've had in Louisiana or Alabama.

All the above hotels down town are great. The cornhusker is at the south edge of the down town action but well within walking distance for everything on Saturday. And when you drink too much its even close enough that everyone in town can still point you in the right direction to get you home for the night. There is a pretty good group of fans that tailgate right behind that hotel (west of it) in the big parking lot between the Gold's building and the Night Before skankers lounge. Wear your teams gear and everyone will invite you in for food and beers. If you don't feel up to that the old folks (age 30 and up) do tend to migrate to the Embassy suits (my hotel of choice) and they have a big party out back with a live band and big beers or stiff drinks. They also have some food stands there. Behind the newspaper is also a pretty good tail gate area but if you wait too long (its right down there a little west)the traffic can keep you from getting to the game on time. I always plan on heading to the stadium 30-40 minutes before kick off. The place will be almost full by then as we like to watch the team stretch and cheer for them with their faces pop up on the Husker Vision.

Make sure you save room for a Runza at the game. You can go to the restaurant (its like a burger joint and Runza's are a hamburger and cabbage type mixture baked into a loaf of bread) but they are way better at the game as the grease really soaks through.

Valentino's is our local pizza shop thats gone state wide. You can get a slice at the game or hit a buffett at one of its many locations. Its pizza but is a different sauce and loaded with cheeses so it our local flavor. Its also good to have delivered during the day and left in the hotel to eat late night when you're a little tipsy.

Mistys is ok to eat at down town. If I were you I'd just buy their steak seasoning and take it home with you to grill with. Nebraska has the best beef in the US (I just won a fee dinner in San Diego last night because their best wasn't as good as our crap Omaha Steaks that I brought with me)but I can always grill them better at home than I can get in a restaurant. I do like Lazlo's for a good meal or two. If its noon I get the french dip with fries and their homemade creamy garlic dressing for dipping the fries in. My wife likes the Voodoo Chicken. Definitely do Side Tracks. Yes its a hole in the wall but show up early...it will be packed and on Saturday almost impossible to get into. Sandy's is also another good bar on O street near your hotel to grab a drink before the game. It will be packed too but a little more laid back than some college bars.

I think you'll find 99% of the fans great and you'll get a lot of "good lucks" before and "great games" after. I'll apologize right now for the one 22 year old that's going to be way drunk and say something stupid and probably hit on you daughter.

If you were NU fan I'd say you should hit the stadium on Friday and tour around and see the national championship trophies, heismans, go to the book store for some husker gear etc but honestly...they're only pretty cool if you're a fan of that team. You'd probably have a better time just hanging out in the old market at a table outside one of the restaurants drinking the local micro brews.

If your daughter wants to shop take a cab to the mall on South 27th. (South Pointe) and there will be lots of shops. There's also a theatre there and a sporting goods store for the guys to get lost in with fishing, hunting, etc. Make sure you take the number of the cab company with you. Its not like a lot of cities with cabs sitting on every corner waiting for people. Public transportation kind of sucks so you'll probably have to call every time you want a pick up. But the nice thing is you can get anywhere in town in about 20 minutes even if its clear across town.

da skers, awesome info. I am very appreciative of you taking the time to explain all of that to me. I would love to tour the stadium. Great great info man....Hey man, I will be wearing my teams colors. We probably brought a couple of thousand to the Auburn game, Im not expecting that at your stadium as Auburn was only 5 hours from Chattanooga. I expecting us to bring 700-1000 fans up there. As I said earlier, our coach Russ Huesman has already been courted by some major programs because he basically took over a program that had hit rock bottom and has gotten things moving in the right direction. Not to sound negative about our team, but you wont have any trouble taking control of this game, but you will see a team that will play with class and not quit. I told people last year, we stuck 24 on Auburn and to be honest, could have put a couple of more touchdowns up with a little break here and there. So they can score some points, we just want be able to slow you down a bit on offense. But were getting there, hopefully this will help our team get ready for our conference, which just happens to be the best in the country in FCS.

We consider it a great honor for our little team from Chattanooga to don the pads in such a coveted place as Memorial Stadium.

Trust me, our quarterback is a stud. Not only is he great player but he is already like a coach on the field. Watch this quick interview with him. You will see what I mean. The kid is a 6'5 gun slinger. Auburn could not stop him. In my opinion, he is the 2nd best player in school history behind Terrell Owens. Just thought some of you might want to see this.

He is probably one of the most well spoken college football players that I have personally ever seen. There is other stuff online that is probably better, this is what found the quickest. Thanks again, if I am boring you with this stuff, I apologize in advance.

I'm familiar with your coach and you're QB. Both have my respect. Anyone who tells Kiffin where to go is ok in my book. My dad and Monte grew up together and I have some stories that people would love to know about the guy....but Lane is a true "sh#t" and got all the worst qualities of his dad without any of the good. There is just entitlement there that shouldn't be. Oddly Lanes brother isn't like that. More humble and driven. Closer to his dad's career.

I don't know how early you'll be up or how many your are bringing but call the UNL athletic department. I know sometimes Alumni groups can get a tour. The weight room is very impressive all by itself. I used to love it when I was a kid. My dad knew lots of people around the program I remember getting to meet Boyd Epley and watch players work out and that was back when they had a crappy weight room in the 80's. It's easy to see why a recruit would love to come here. Lockers are also great but I'm not sure if the general public can get in there. That's why a tour group would be good. And maybe this time of year you can't get in there anyway.

If nothing else you can just stumble around over there and still see a lot. Its pretty inviting to visitors.

I don't know if I'll make it to that game or not. I'm very booked this fall and I'm trying to do OSU, Iowa, MU and Wisconson. I've got a charity event the weekend of Northwestern and I'm kicking myself. I would really like to see all of these "tradition" games so I think the early season will sacrifice itself for the family time and other fall things I need to accomplish.

My personal opinion based on one stay is that I did NOT like Embassy Suites. The hotel was nice enough, but they over-charge for every teeny tiny thing. I think it was something like 10/night for internet, and a massive amount of $ when my husband had to use the phone ONCE and only for a few minutes after his cell died. Wish I still had that bill for illustrative purposes, but about had a coronary.

I did enjoy a stay at the Cornhusker many years ago. I didn't have Husker red on at all at the time, so they thought I was the "opposition", and treated me extremely well despite their misconceptions.

Thanks again to the both of you, I am really enjoying getting to know some of you Nebraska fans. And by the way, I also attend a couple of Troy games per year. I have watched them play since about 1978 as I only grew up 30 miles from Troy. By the way, if any of you guys ever head down around Panama City Beach Florida, let me know if you need info. as I have grown up running around down on the Gulf Coast and know it like the back of my hand. Take care

No matter where you stay, you should get out on the Friday night before in downtown - I'm sure there are things going on where Husker fans would surely buy you an adult beverage. The last time I stayed in Lincoln, ended up going to a place called Brewsky's. It's a Husker fan gathering but always welcome the fans of other teams.

Have a safe trip and hope you enjoy your visit.

Hey man, Im looking forward to it. I own two companies down here in Alabama and very rarely get to take any time off. I will definitely get out on Friday night. We are kind of thinking about getting into Lincoln on Thursday evening so that we will have the entire day on Friday to visit the campus, restaurants,goof off and so on. I will definitely tail gate with Husker fans on Saturday if they dont mind us being there. Thanks again