Religion is human nature

• 1 month later...

Why?

Because they don't try hard enough to control their congregation?

Court rules atheism a religion

“Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour”

as an atheist, I disagree with that ruling. Although, I think it could have been upheld just by saying they were preventing him from peaceably assembling.

Atheism is purely just a stance on a god claim or claims. That's the only thing any of them have in common. Much like theism is on the other side of the coin. Being a theist doesn't say anything about which god(s) you believe in and what/why/how you should believe in him.

Religion is defined as: "a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects"

Atheism has none of these beliefs, practices, tenants, laws, etc. We just agree on one thing.

---edit---

interesting follow up on it:

http://atheism.about.com/b/2005/08/23/wisconsin-equal-rights-for-atheists-in-prison.htm

The Court did not rule that atheism is a religion. Instead, the court ruled that, for First Amendment purposes, atheism is a religion for Kaufman. Those are two very significant qualifiers. It means that atheism isn’t inherently a religion. It means that atheism isn’t inherently a religion for Kaufman — it’s only a religion for Kaufman in this narrow context. It means that atheism isn’t a religion for First Amendment purposes for everyone — just for Kaufman (and presumably some other inmates) in the context of this case.

Would this guy say homosexuality is human nature?

I don't think JFK commented on the subject.

I'm betting he did.

The fact he had a gay friend doesn't mean JFK commented (publicly, which is implied but I'll state it directly this time) on homosexuality.

Do you really think having a gay best friend would make you less likely to wonder about the cause? Even publicly?

I don't even know any gay people very personally and I do..(Care enoigh about the subject to comment about my theories on chromosome link versus influence of the parent(s)).

Being a public figure would probably tend to make me less likely to share any actual beliefs, but I seriously doubt JFK was always that polished.

Would this guy say homosexuality is human nature?

I don't think JFK commented on the subject.

I'm betting he did.

The fact he had a gay friend doesn't mean JFK commented (publicly, which is implied but I'll state it directly this time) on homosexuality.

Do you really think having a gay best friend would make you less likely to wonder about the cause? Even publicly?

I don't even know any gay people very personally and I do..(Care enoigh about the subject to comment about my theories on chromosome link versus influence of the parent(s)).

Being a public figure would probably tend to make me less likely to share any actual beliefs, but I seriously doubt JFK was always that polished.

Read the linked posts. We're not talking about whether JFK wondered about homosexuality. We're talking about whether he commented on it.

Now, if you're going to assert that JFK made a public statement about homosexuality, I'm going to ask you to show me where he did that. Because in the early 1960s, homosexuality wasn't something the president commented on publicly. That social stigma had yet to be broken.

What a silly debate that would be. Atheism, by definition, is not a religion. True fact. It's not up for debate.

Why?

Like I said, by it's very definition atheism isn't a religion. That court ruling doesn't change that. Everyone on earth is born atheist until someone convinces them there's a magical, invisible sky fairy.

What a silly debate that would be. Atheism, by definition, is not a religion. True fact. It's not up for debate.

Why?

Like I said, by it's very definition atheism isn't a religion. That court ruling doesn't change that. Everyone on earth is born atheist until someone convinces them there's a magical, invisible sky fairy.

How about that big explosion from nothingness? That is just as ridiculous to believe. Or that we evolved from monkeys. How come we aren't evolving now? Or how come there are still gorillas in the zoo? How come they don't become human. You don't know til you die, so stop insulting billions of people. Thanks!

Why?

How about that big explosion from nothingness? That is just as ridiculous to believe. Or that we evolved from monkeys. How come we aren't evolving now? Or how come there are still gorillas in the zoo? How come they don't become human. You don't know til you die, so stop insulting billions of people. Thanks!

There is actual evidence that suggests we evolved, and are still evolving. There's absolutely zero evidence a magic sky fairy exists. Fact. I wasn't insulting anyone. Why would gorillas become human? They've made it this far with the evolutionary advantages they've adapted. Much like humans. It's not like we evolved from modern day gorillas or chimps. We just share a common ancestor. Evolution isn't a straight line. There's tons of literature about evolution at your finger tips, but if you're happy remaining ignorant to the subject then you're just insulting yourself.