Nebraska highlights college football's seismic shift

Seismic shift in college football coming in 2011

Maybe it's wrong to draw metaphors from natural disasters, especially when the planet seems so unstable. But an earthquake has hit college football.

On July 1, Nebraska officially will become the 12th member of the Big Ten.

"For us, it's a really good fit," Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne said. "The Big Ten schools kind of look at the world the way we do."

Across the country, the changes in college football are profound. The Pac-12 includes Utah, Colorado and a championship game. Boise State has joined the Mountain West, and TCU is bailing for the Big East in 2012. The Big 12 has 10 members, no title game and a network devoted entirely to the Texas Longhorns.

Seismic shift in college football coming in 2011

Maybe it's wrong to draw metaphors from natural disasters, especially when the planet seems so unstable. But an earthquake has hit college football.

On July 1, Nebraska officially will become the 12th member of the Big Ten.

"For us, it's a really good fit," Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne said. "The Big Ten schools kind of look at the world the way we do."

Across the country, the changes in college football are profound. The Pac-12 includes Utah, Colorado and a championship game. Boise State has joined the Mountain West, and TCU is bailing for the Big East in 2012. The Big 12 has 10 members, no title game and a network devoted entirely to the Texas Longhorns.

The last part is what will destroy the rest of the Big 12 after the next season or two. The other teams will view what Texas has made off of TV and want some only to have Texas deny them the opportunity.

written by a writer from Arizona...interesting

There are a LOT of Husker fans down in Arizona. Better weather - no winter six months of the year like you get here in "The Good Life" state.

From that article:

Nebraska's move easily is the most scintillating. The Cornhuskers are a special brand in college football, among the most successful programs in Division I history. Their fans are passionate and fill every corner of the Valley, a fact not lost on the former Cornhuskers coach.

HUSKER37 and hskrpwr13 are from Arizona, that I know off the top of my head. I think we have a lot of HuskerBoard members from Arizona, but other names escape me.

The Big Ten is tickled. Along with Penn State, the two most recent additions have given the conference some much-needed heft. Commissioner Jim Delany even likened Nebraska football to the Green Bay Packers.

Osborne liked that analogy, and used it to take a subtle jab at his former conference.

"I think he drew that reference because the Packers are not from a major metropolitan area," Osborne said. "They don't have the big-city media markets, and if the NFL hadn't been wise enough to pool and share revenues, Green Bay would've never been able to compete with the New York Giants.

This speaks volumes.