Big 10 Gearing for Further Expansion?

GT and Maryland? Meh...I don't think so. Would be better to take some of the prized pieces of a crumbling Big 12 in a few years.

There's only two pieces worth the B1G's time to pursue: Mizzou and Kansas. The 'state' schools in IA and KS aren't worth the time, and assuming that Delaney's 'contiguous' expansion comments weren't bunk, that takes OK schools off the table until a MO or KS school is offered, and Texas schools could only happen if we were going to 16 schools (read: conference Armageddon).

Plus, as it was explained to Saunders, you're thinking with a mindset that's a decade or more too old. Sure Maryland and Ga. Tech aren't the best sports schools. But both sit in the Baltimore/DC and Atlanta TV markets, respectively, and would be a significant fiscal boost to a conference that runs its own cable network and has a TV contract with Disney coming up for negotiation in a couple of years.

These market sizes are significant enough that the mediocrity of their programs are outweighed by the potential market for marque matchups or the B1G's biggest name brands (OSU and Nebraska, in order).

GT and Maryland? Meh...I don't think so. Would be better to take some of the prized pieces of a crumbling Big 12 in a few years.

There's only two pieces worth the B1G's time to pursue: Mizzou and Kansas. The 'state' schools in IA and KS aren't worth the time, and assuming that Delaney's 'contiguous' expansion comments weren't bunk, that takes OK schools off the table until a MO or KS school is offered, and Texas schools could only happen if we were going to 16 schools (read: conference Armageddon).

Plus, as it was explained to Saunders, you're thinking with a mindset that's a decade or more too old. Sure Maryland and Ga. Tech aren't the best sports schools. But both sit in the Baltimore/DC and Atlanta TV markets, respectively, and would be a significant fiscal boost to a conference that runs its own cable network and has a TV contract with Disney coming up for negotiation in a couple of years.

These market sizes are significant enough that the mediocrity of their programs are outweighed by the potential market for marque matchups or the B1G's biggest name brands (OSU and Nebraska, in order).

Not to be an arguer, but Delaney actually said that contiguous states was not a prerequisite, it is far more about the school, wherever it may lie. The BiG (and commissioner) is far more concerned with which school it is than what state it is in and Delaney has said as much.

WHAT!?!?!?

Don't even deny it. The internet never lies. I got an email that said I could learn Russian in five days if I paid this guy like $5,000, and I thought, "Great, then I can learn to talk to walksalone, because he's RUSSIAN. So I emailed the guy and he responded, "Yeah, you can learn Russian in five days, really." And I'm like, "Seriously?" And he's all, "Da, Comrade!" And I'm like, "Prove it." So he responds, "OK, I'll bet you didn't know that the Russian word for water is vod, did you? That means that "vodka" is Russian for "little water." They drink so much of it up there, it's like their water. Now give me my $5,000, jerk!" And I was all like, "WHAT!?!?!?!" and he says, "There is no Russia." Turns out the whole thing was an M. Knight Shyamalan movie.

Weird.

poster-20.jpg

Not to be an arguer, but Delaney actually said that contiguous states was not a prerequisite, it is far more about the school, wherever it may lie. The BiG (and commissioner) is far more concerned with which school it is than what state it is in and Delaney has said as much.

There's only one feasible exception to what Delaney said about schools being contiguous, and that's Texas. Anything else, and you're risking repeating the mistakes of the WAC. Atlanta is a great media market, but I don't think it's benefits would offset the problems that would come with a detached market.

And you're right, Delaney said it wasn't an absolute requirement, but it would take a rare exception of a school--it's a Big 10 bylaw that 'requires' contiguous expansion that would need to be voted out of existence for a non-contiguous expansion to happen.

I just don't see going east. Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse would water down the league. To get the NY market you're really just taling Rutgers and Syracuse. They are not even top 25 teams.

Mid-Atlantic - Possibly Maryland.

Midwest - Missouri & Kansas decent adds.

South - GT does not make sense. All other decent programs are tied in with the SEC or ACC and just does not make sense.

Outside of ND, there's just not a lot of marquee programs available for the taking. If ND ever gets in the picture (highly unlikely) a 14th team would need to be added. I can see Maryland in that case.

I just don't see going east. Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse would water down the league. To get the NY market you're really just taling Rutgers and Syracuse. They are not even top 25 teams.

Mid-Atlantic - Possibly Maryland.

Midwest - Missouri & Kansas decent adds.

South - GT does not make sense. All other decent programs are tied in with the SEC or ACC and just does not make sense.

Outside of ND, there's just not a lot of marquee programs available for the taking. If ND ever gets in the picture (highly unlikely) a 14th team would need to be added. I can see Maryland in that case.

Like you said outside of Notre Dame there aren't any marquee programs available. Therefore unlike last time when a Marquee name was available and they took it, this time it will be about having the in-state TV population that will have to pay the BTN fees to make the addition worth it financially, not the brand value of the program itself.

Besides, if they take two Eastern teams they can move Wisconsin over with us and get rid of the stupid Legends/Leaders crap and just go East/West.