Crouch taking another shot

OMAHA — Two team buses are waiting, their engines humming.

Eric Crouch has only a couple of minutes for an interview.

How far does he hope to take his latest comeback?

"I want to take it to a championship," Crouch said Friday after the first of two practices at Bellevue West High School.

He is whisked to one of the buses by an Omaha Nighthawks' media-relations worker. The second-year United Football League franchise on Sunday wrapped up a seven-practice minicamp.

The 32-year-old Crouch, the 2001 Heisman Trophy winner, is playing organized football for the first time since 2006, when he was with Toronto of the Canadian Football League. The former Nebraska quarterback understands the clock's ticking on his playing days. He talks as if this might be his last gasp.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_5b92983c-3068-538d-98b3-abfe1b85f010.html

Good luck to ya Eric, sounds like he has some stiff competition.

I don't get why everyone loves eric crouch? He was never a true Husker. He quit the team because he couldn't play qb. He only came back because Solich told him he would get a shot at qb. He didn't want to play in the NFL because he wasn't going to play qb. So he'd rather be selling childrens playground equipment than move to a different position and make million of dollars. Just seems to me if he couldn't get what he wanted he quit. I'm not trying to sound mean but just what i've heard and read. If I am wrong i would be happy to retract this post.

I don't get why everyone loves eric crouch? He was never a true Husker. He quit the team because he couldn't play qb. He only came back because Solich told him he would get a shot at qb. He didn't want to play in the NFL because he wasn't going to play qb. So he'd rather be selling childrens playground equipment than move to a different position and make million of dollars. Just seems to me if he couldn't get what he wanted he quit. I'm not trying to sound mean but just what i've heard and read. If I am wrong i would be happy to retract this post.

Never a true Husker???! W.T.F. Crouch is still popular among Husker fans——and always will be——because he was a true football hero. He carried that offense on his back. His supporting cast was good, but nothing like the previous few years during our run in the 90s. And it don't hurt that he brought home a Heisman.

As for him quitting the team, well, drama stuff like that happens more than you’d think. There’s always some guy thinking about quitting, or having issues. It only leaks out and makes headlines when it’s a high profile player. Like Eric Crouch.

Never a true Husker???! W.T.F. Crouch is still popular among Husker fans——and always will be——because he was a true football hero. He carried that offense on his back. His supporting cast was good, but nothing like the previous few years during our run in the 90s. And it don't hurt that he brought home a Heisman.

As for him quitting the team, well, drama stuff like that happens more than you’d think. There’s always some guy thinking about quitting, or having issues. It only leaks out and makes headlines when it’s a high profile player. Like Eric Crouch.

I'd rather he'd beat Miami than take a cursed object like the Hesiman. Remember Bobby Newcombe? He was the starting qb til he got hurt and then when Crouch took over he switched positions to help the team. I didn't hear about Crouch willing to do that.

I'd rather he'd beat Miami than take a cursed object like the Hesiman. Remember Bobby Newcombe? He was the starting qb til he got hurt and then when Crouch took over he switched positions to help the team. I didn't hear about Crouch willing to do that.

Of course not, because he never got hurt. Brilliant deduction ;)

Of course not, because he never got hurt. Brilliant deduction ;)

Yeah, it's hard to say what would've happened if it had been the other way around--if Crouch has gotten injured and Newcombe stepped in for him.

As it was, Crouch was our QB because he was the best at the position. One of the best running QBs in the nation. Ever. Bobby Newcombe was great. But not better than Crouch. Especially not after he blew out his knee. Really, it’s a shame Bobby Newcombe and Eric Crouch weren’t two or three years apart. Both were great.