Tony Veland Shot

The violence in North O has now involved former Husker safety Tony Veland, a key player on the 1994 and 1995 Championship teams.

Former Husker and NFL football player Tony Veland was shot Monday night near his alma mater, Omaha Benson High School.

His injuries did not appear life-threatening, police said. Initial 911 dispatch reports described a gunshot wound to the shoulder.

The shooting was reported about 9:15 p.m. Monday. Veland, 38, apparently was shot inside a Ford Explorer that had been peppered with gunshots, Omaha Police Sgt. Chuck Casey said.

Someone in the area reported hearing about 10 gunshots at that time, Casey said.

“He was extremely lucky considering the number of shots fired,” Casey said.

LINK

Lucky it wasn't serious.

I remember a Husker I think it was around the 95' season. I wanna say he was a WR from Compton LA with a name I can't pronounce. Who was shot in the ass. The man had wheeels and we would always joke about where that came from.

I remember a Husker I think it was around the 95' season. I wanna say he was a WR from Compton LA with a name I can't pronounce. Who was shot in the ass. The man had wheeels and we would always joke about where that came from.

Abdul Muhammad

One of my favorite players, solely based on his play on the field. (Abdul had issues.)

brent musburger would never reference Abdul without making sure to point out that he was shot in Compton. Greetings from the real NU, brent! (Do you capitalize your name? I don't.)

Abdul Muhammad

One of my favorite players, solely based on his play on the field. (Abdul had issues.)

brent musburger would never reference Abdul without making sure to point out that he was shot in Compton. Greetings from the real NU, brent! (Do you capitalize your name? I don't.)

Wasn't he convicted of murder?

Lucky it wasn't serious.

"Bullet-butt" Muhammed?

I think the footballer that had a murder rap was Rae Carruth from the sCUm team. Contracted to kill his preg g/f if memory serves me correctly. Little more wack than anything LP did.

Loved the interception TV had during the CCG game against Florida and poor Danny W. :D

GBR

Abdul Muhammad

I don't think so, but sounds like he did have a couple brushes with the law. Here's a nice trip down memory lane.

SI Story

Abdul Muhammad

I don't think so, but sounds like he did have a couple brushes with the law. Here's a nice trip down memory lane.

SI Story

Okay, maybe I was wrong??? Anyone know if he was convicted?

Another story

Loved Veland when he played- He always seemed like a good guy. I'm so glad to hear he's alright and that this didn't end in tragedy. even though he's been "shaken", at least he's alive and out of the hospital!

BTW, he didn't just play in the Super Bowl, he caused caused a fumble on a kickoff vs the Packers that was recovered by the Broncos.

Abdul "bullet in the butt" was a pretty well known Compton banger. As far as Veland, well-I would say that there's more to the story.

"About 16 hours before Veland was shot, his uncle, Steven L. Veland, 54, was involved in an incident in which a man was cut in the hand following a fight. Steven Veland was arrested on suspicion of felony assault and use of a weapon. The injured man, Anthony C. McDade, 56, refused medical treatment. The incident happened about 5:20 a.m. Monday at a home near 40th Street and Lafayette Avenue." http://www.omaha.com/article/20110615/NEWS97/706159880/1009#veland-has-surgery-after-gunshot