Big Ten position rankings: Offensive line

9. Nebraska: The Huskers ranked ninth nationally in rushing last season but have quite a few question marks up front. Center Mike Caputo is a building block and sophomore tackle Jeremiah Sirles is a returning starter, but Nebraska has little proven experience. The Huskers will benefit from a healthy Marcel Jones at right tackle, and Yoshi Hardwick adds depth. This could turn out to be a decent group, but the experience issue combined with a scheme change creates some uncertainty.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post?id=28404

Our Oline has a lot to prove this year. Hopefully we see some of our young talent emerge.

This year will be the first year we really start to see the talent on our offensive line. We've recruited very well up front and have some top notch young guys ready to make an impact up front. Sirles, Moore, Rodriguez and Qvale will step up, and incoming center/guard Ryne Reeves is gonna be a pitbull up front. Caputo is great, but hopefully when Reeves makes the transition to center, the rest of the offensive line will develop the smashmouth attitude that Reeves has. Cole Pensick was also a really hard nosed player, but I really haven't heard a lot about how people think his transition to the offensive side of the ball is going to work out.

Barney does need to show me he can coach these guys up and finish their damn blocks though. Our aggressiveness has been lacking up front. We just don't go out there and smash guys in the mouth much anymore. But the other side of that coin is the fact that I really don't think Watson's offense complimented Cotton's style of coaching. This staff was just thrown together in the beginning with some old familiar faces. It just didn't seem like anybody was having much success trying to coach alongside Shawn Watson. Most of all though I think Cotton's style really never fit in well with Watson. Thankfully, that man is gone ( I know some of you disagree with it, but I begged for years for his release), soon we will see how Beck and Cotton merge to form an offense.

Well, Roy/Rex/Tmart rushed for over 3,000 yds last year. Good chance there was some blocking going on somewhere.

Sure agree with "True to the Red" that some good synergy between Beck & Barney would pay off in a big, big way. Heck, even without that some good playcalling would he very helpful. Our wrs actually catching the ball wouldn't hurt either.

Penalties "must" decline. Mostly that's on you, Barney. Better take it seriously.

• Fire 1

I count Marcel Jones as a starter because he was a starter in 2009. Yoshi has good experience so we are really talking about replacing 2 guys. With the new approach I think the younger players will be fine and we have good young talent. I think they are going to be surprised. I am thinking our offense will be better than people think.

I count Marcel Jones as a starter because he was a starter in 2009. Yoshi has good experience so we are really talking about replacing 2 guys. With the new approach I think the younger players will be fine and we have good young talent. I think they are going to be surprised. I am thinking our offense will be better than people think.

I agree about Marcel, he was looking like our best lineman before the injuries.

By the end of the season last year I couldn't believe how far our O-line had regressed. None of the QB or RB woes concern me nearly as much as whether our O-line can get their crap together.

kinda makes you really glad we just picked up Paul Thurston..... looking at his choices its pretty awesome he picked us as we havent been known for our O-line and from what we've seen a lot of times the O-line lacks a few things..... but whatever he's gonna get playing time and i'm stoked for him

By the end of the season last year I couldn't believe how far our O-line had regressed. None of the QB or RB woes concern me nearly as much as whether our O-line can get their crap together.

kinda makes you really glad we just picked up Paul Thurston..... looking at his choices its pretty awesome he picked us as we havent been known for our O-line and from what we've seen a lot of times the O-line lacks a few things..... but whatever he's gonna get playing time and i'm stoked for him

It probably helped that we have a long tradition of great O-linemen, AND have some immediate needs on the line. That, and I’m sure Thurston noticed our nice little collection of Outland, Lombardi and Rimington trophies. I hope Paul Thurston turns out to be as good as we think he can be. And brings home a trophy or two for us.

It probably helped that we have a long tradition of great O-linemen, AND have some immediate needs on the line. That, and I’m sure Thurston noticed our nice little collection of Outland, Lombardi and Rimington trophies. I hope Paul Thurston turns out to be as good as we think he can be. And brings home a trophy or two for us.

yeah i know what your saying traditionally but in the short term (which is what most kids are aware of) we havent been so hot......