More revisionist derp from Barry Tramel on Nebraska leaving the Big XII

So, Missou is "happy" now? Or they just know they're stuck in a bad marriage and can't say a damn thing now. The Tigers sure seemed to have a lot of love for the big 12 when they thought they were a guarantee to leave it last May. A&M will be "happy" as long as they get their money. As will Texas. Kansas/KSU/ISU/Baylor are happy just to have a conference. Oh, and Colorado doesn't exist.

This is desperate push to put on a happy face and make the best of where they are now. In the conference alignment, the Big Ten made a huge gain and the Big 12 is lucky they still exist. The only way they can make this a "win" is to re-write history. Doesn't matter how well known the actual events were at the time, if they repeat their version enough times, it will become the truth for many.

• Fire 2

So, Missou is "happy" now? Or they just know they're stuck in a bad marriage and can't say a damn thing now. The Tigers sure seemed to have a lot of love for the big 12 when they thought they were a guarantee to leave it last May. A&M will be "happy" as long as they get their money. As will Texas. Kansas/KSU/ISU/Baylor are happy just to have a conference. Oh, and Colorado doesn't exist.

This is desperate push to put on a happy face and make the best of where they are now. In the conference alignment, the Big Ten made a huge gain and the Big 12 is lucky they still exist. The only way they can make this a "win" is to re-write history. Doesn't matter how well known the actual events were at the time, if they repeat their version enough times, it will become the truth for many.

This.

And A&M will continue to rattle the SEC sabre in upcoming Big XII politics any time they don't get their way to maintain their happiness--just look at the Beebe $20 million hush money--OU and UT 'magnanimously' gave it up (because Beebe grossly overestimated they could get full exit fees from Nebraska and Colorado), and A&M reminded Beebe in the media they have a SEC option if they don't get their promised $20 million. Kum-ba-ya indeed.

And don't listen to the ShaggyBevo twits--the SEC would take A&M in a heartbeat, if for no other reason it adds a major media market to their footprint Houston) and makes south Texas wide open for SEC recruiting--not unlike how the Big 10 footprint, which we had tough sledding in before, is now opening up to Nebraska recruiting.

Mind you, even the suggestion of A&M's move would potentially set off Conference Armageddon II - Electric Boogaloo, which is the only reason anyone will take A&M serious about said rattling, and why A&M will be pacified for a long while.

I think a lot of this "better of sans NU" revival talk is based on OU being the favorite to be national champs next years, like they should. I have a feeling media around the Big 12 will segue that into the conference "clearly" being better without us. Right now Tramel is just trying to build up equity with the haters.

I could have sworn that Ta&m and UT are bound by legislature the same way OU and OSU are. I know that OU and OSU are, meaning that one cannot leave for another conference without the other. They are stuck with each other like Siamese twins. If not Ta&m, I know it is another Texas team. Tried looking, but my goggle skills for this one aren't working.

I don't know if that's true or not, Okaive, but I do recall about this time last year all the talk of A&M leaving the Big XII for the SEC all on their own. Now that you mention it, I don't know if we ever saw anything that was more than message board fodder on that...

I don't know if that's true or not, Okaive, but I do recall about this time last year all the talk of A&M leaving the Big XII for the SEC all on their own. Now that you mention it, I don't know if we ever saw anything that was more than message board fodder on that...

No, your right about the talks about a&m with the SEC and what most people don't know is that the SEC was also talking to OU. But OU told them that if they took them, then they had to take OSU. SEC declined, saying they only wanted them and a&m. If the SEC would have accepted, OU and OSU would have been gone in a heartbeat leaving the Big12 with a -4 instead of -2.

I talked with several people here in OKC about it and they all repeatedly mention about the state reg, I believe, about those two being combined. They also mentioned two other teams like that and I could have sworn it was the two I mentioned before. I will get more info about it tomorrow if I can remember.

There was more than message board fodder, Knapplc. Remember the tide of angry messages to $ Bill when they announced their decision to take the $20 million and stay...some of which $ Bill answered back and got in trouble for?

It was more than interweb speculation, but folks are right in saying there was a hurdle in the Texas State Legislature (the same governing body which saddled the Big XII with Baylor...). However, it was discussed down here that if aTm could present a case where it showed improvement to aTm and that the other Texas schools would be fine otherwise (remember--this was when Texas was looking west to the Pac-10), they would have no choice other than to let aTm leave.

What was the biggest impediment to a SEC move, and the proverbial last straw for the older Aggie set, was Texas' promise of never playing aTm again during the regular season if they went to the SEC. Younger Aggie fans could care less about losing the Texas game, as most of those games have been losses to them. The older fans, thought, remember a time when Texas was routinely and thoroughly stomped on by aTm.