Orange Bowl vs. Tenn

The '96 Fiesta Bowl was aired. Maybe Friday night--can't remember. My only gripe is they cut out the close-ups of Steve Spurrier taking off his visor and rubbing his hand over his face during the game. I think he was trying to wake himself up from the nightmare.

Not on BTN. I would have recorded it.

Sure enough. Looks like that game wasn't on by itself. LINK I must have been thinking of the '95 season special they ran: "Decade of Dominance: 1995 Nebraska Football" I kinda O.D.'ed on Husker football this weekend.

btw, The cable system where I live has been on the fritz since a big storm we had last week. BTN was been one of only two or three channels I was getting this weekend. Pretty freaky, huh? Luck of the Irish. :)

It sucks, too, because I've never seen that game in its entirety except the night it aired live. I should buy the DVD, but I'm cheap.

I think the SEC Offices and their media partners (CBS and now ESPN) in a "public relations" initiative must have paid to have that game "erased" (out of sight - out of mind) because you know the SEC has never lost that a big game in that fashion. The OSU and Oklahoma title game blow outs are brought up constantly in the media and by SEC fans, especially the OSU loses.

I have noticed one thing about SEC fans is that they can't stand to see their teams lose non-conference games. Did you notice that just about all the Tenn fans were gone by the middle of the 3rd quarter in the 98 orange bowl?

It sucks, too, because I've never seen that game in its entirety except the night it aired live. I should buy the DVD, but I'm cheap.

I think the SEC Offices and their media partners (CBS and now ESPN) in a "public relations" initiative must have paid to have that game "erased" (out of sight - out of mind) because you know the SEC has never lost that a big game in that fashion. The OSU and Oklahoma title game blow outs are brought up constantly in the media and by SEC fans, especially the OSU loses.

I have noticed one thing about SEC fans is that they can't stand to see their teams lose non-conference games. Did you notice that just about all the Tenn fans were gone by the middle of the 3rd quarter in the 98 orange bowl?

Not that I don't like a good conspiracy theory, but why would they allow everyone to view the stomping over TU in '98? Maybe because TU wasn't the poster child quite yet like Florida was. Florida was supposed to dominate the slow and antiquated Huskers.

Not that I don't like a good conspiracy theory, but why would they allow everyone to view the stomping over TU in '98? Maybe because TU wasn't the poster child quite yet like Florida was. Florida was supposed to dominate the slow and antiquated Huskers.

My guess is that the '98 Orange Bowl was on NBC and the SEC PR slush funds were spent two years prior on the UF-Nebraska beat down. Also, UT was not really in the national title hunt as Neb and Mich were the focus that year.

My conspiracy theory may sound silly but I think there's a bit a truth behind it. Look at the media onslaught against OSU, USC, Oregon now. Hardly a mention of the investigations going on at UT and Auburn (at least I think there's investigations there). OSU and Tressel have been crucified daily for the last 6 months. I even heard today on talk radio that Tressel was being "EVIL" by not reporting the sale of items by the players.