2012 Presidential Campaign - Obama vs. Romney

Let's talk about "bringing the troops home." I'm for that. I think more than 95% of Americans are for that. Get our kids back here, out of harm's way, and let's be at peace. Absolutely something I support.

How do we do that, though?

We can't simply uproot our troops and bring them home. It would create a power vacuum in several hotspots around the world, creating conflagrations where there are squabbles now. We cannot simply remove our troops from Afghanistan and expect that nation to govern itself. And we already know the ramifications of allowing the Taliban free rein to do as they please over there. Not only did they provide safe haven for al Qaeda, but aside from that they committed innumerable atrocities against the Afghan people and they even damaged or destroyed several World Heritage sites. It is a worthy thing to be there to keep the peace, and while there are many, many negative ramifications of us being over there, simply pulling up stakes is not prudent. At all.

There are some ugly truths that we have to abide in the world today. Ron Paul doesn't want to abide those truths - he wants to declare Utopia and damn the process. It doesn't work that way. Obama found that out with his Guantanamo closure promise. Some things, no matter how unpalatable, have to be borne.

I won't pretend to know anything about foreign relations because I really don't. The things that I have heard Ron Paul say sound really good to me though. One of his speeches that he gave (maybe during a presidential debate) he addressed his view on foreign relations and basically said that America brought the hatred of other countries upon themselves because we are always trying to play police for the world. He said that if we don't stick our noses in where they don't belong, most others will do the same to us. It's simple and complicated at the same time, and I know that it isn't as easy as it sounds, but I will say this: Paul's ideas and philosophies about what government needs to be are very appealing to me. He is very much a constitutionalist.

They're appealing to you because you don't dig very deeply into the practicality of it. On the surface he sounds great to me, too. But in practical application most of his policies are either naive or absurd - or potentially tremendously dangerous to national security and the economy.

• Fire 1

They're appealing to you because you don't dig very deeply into the practicality of it. On the surface he sounds great to me, too. But in practical application most of his policies are either naive or absurd - or potentially tremendously dangerous to national security and the economy.

Haha oh please.... Practicality is my middle name, just ask my girlfriend.

What's her number?

;)

What's her number?

;)

You wish, old man. haha jk

No, what's stupid is being an uninformed voter. It's not Rubio's fault you don't know him. Get informed.

So i should be informed of someone who isn't even in the race yet? Most uniformed voters were Democrat. I heard plenty of time white people saying they voted for Obama cause he was black or Palin because she was stupid and solely made their choice off of that. Not based on any real decisions. Young voters also fall into this category. They pretty much wanted a black President cause they actually thought things would change.

No, what's stupid is being an uninformed voter. It's not Rubio's fault you don't know him. Get informed.

So i should be informed of someone who isn't even in the race yet? Most uniformed voters were Democrat. I heard plenty of time white people saying they voted for Obama cause he was black or Palin because she was stupid and solely made their choice off of that. Not based on any real decisions. Young voters also fall into this category. They pretty much wanted a black President cause they actually thought things would change.

Yikes. I'm supposed to respond to this pile of derp?

Should you be informed of someone who isn't in the race yet? Depends on what you mean by "informed." Should have a basic enough understanding of the politics that control your life to at least be familiar with the name Marco Rubio? Yes, especially if you're an informed enough person to know names like Cole Pensick, Tommy Armstrong, Charles Jackson and Tyler Wullenwaber. For all the minimal effort it takes you to know about your college football team's backups, you could be reasonably informed about people like Rubio. Not difficult at all.

Are most uninformed voters Democrat? I don't know how you'd even begin to quantify that. I'm sure you could find a study saying this. I'm sure you could find a study saying Tea Partiers are the most uninformed, or that Moderates are, or Conservatives, or any demographic you choose. Is it reality? Hardly. It's a pretty silly accusation to make.

You heard plenty of white people saying they voted for Obama because he's black, or (I presume) against Palin because she's stupid? I'm certain you did. I heard the same thing. I heard the opposite as well. I heard people voted for Palin because she's sexy in her red blazer, because she's a woman, because she's Republican. I heard that people voted against Obama because he's black as much as I heard they voted for him because he's black. No demographic is free from bias, so if you're trying to throw Democrats under the bus here, you're sadly mistaken. There are racist Republicans out there in droves. Racist Tea Partiers, racist Democrats, racist Independents, etc. There's a study that shows people who watch Fox News are less-well-informed than people who watch no news at all. I heard, I heard, I heard. Blah, blah, blah. You can hear anything you want to hear.

Young voters fall into the category of people who did the above things? So what? So do older voters. So do middle-aged voters. So do folks of any age. Uninformed voters are everywhere, in every party, Independent, of every age.

Young voters wanted a black president because they thought things would change. What does that nonsense even mean? People voted for Obama because he was a better candidate than McCain. They're going to re-elect Obama because he's a better candidate than Romney. Yes, you have your fringe wackos on either side who will either vote for Obama because he's Democrat/black/standard Christian/whatever just like you'll have fringe wackos on the other side who'll vote against him for those very reasons. You'll have fringe wackos who'll vote against Romney because he's Mormon. Do we really need to waste our time talking about the fringe, or should we stick to the vast majority of Americans and talk about the normal people?

Me, I'd like to ignore the fringe, on either side. There's a reason they're the fringe.

• Fire 1

Yikes. I'm supposed to respond to this pile of derp?

Should you be informed of someone who isn't in the race yet? Depends on what you mean by "informed." Should have a basic enough understanding of the politics that control your life to at least be familiar with the name Marco Rubio? Yes, especially if you're an informed enough person to know names like Cole Pensick, Tommy Armstrong, Charles Jackson and Tyler Wullenwaber. For all the minimal effort it takes you to know about your college football team's backups, you could be reasonably informed about people like Rubio. Not difficult at all.

Are most uninformed voters Democrat? I don't know how you'd even begin to quantify that. I'm sure you could find a study saying this. I'm sure you could find a study saying Tea Partiers are the most uninformed, or that Moderates are, or Conservatives, or any demographic you choose. Is it reality? Hardly. It's a pretty silly accusation to make.

You heard plenty of white people saying they voted for Obama because he's black, or (I presume) against Palin because she's stupid? I'm certain you did. I heard the same thing. I heard the opposite as well. I heard people voted for Palin because she's sexy in her red blazer, because she's a woman, because she's Republican. I heard that people voted against Obama because he's black as much as I heard they voted for him because he's black. No demographic is free from bias, so if you're trying to throw Democrats under the bus here, you're sadly mistaken. There are racist Republicans out there in droves. Racist Tea Partiers, racist Democrats, racist Independents, etc. There's a study that shows people who watch Fox News are less-well-informed than people who watch no news at all. I heard, I heard, I heard. Blah, blah, blah. You can hear anything you want to hear.

Young voters fall into the category of people who did the above things? So what? So do older voters. So do middle-aged voters. So do folks of any age. Uninformed voters are everywhere, in every party, Independent, of every age.

Young voters wanted a black president because they thought things would change. What does that nonsense even mean? People voted for Obama because he was a better candidate than McCain. They're going to re-elect Obama because he's a better candidate than Romney. Yes, you have your fringe wackos on either side who will either vote for Obama because he's Democrat/black/standard Christian/whatever just like you'll have fringe wackos on the other side who'll vote against him for those very reasons. You'll have fringe wackos who'll vote against Romney because he's Mormon. Do we really need to waste our time talking about the fringe, or should we stick to the vast majority of Americans and talk about the normal people?

Me, I'd like to ignore the fringe, on either side. There's a reason they're the fringe.

I know for a fact news stations ran stuff like having a reporter going out and asking people why they voted for Obama and then started telling them the policies of McCain and most of them replied "Yeah that sounds like Obama." Most voters have no clue and you don't even realize this. Sorry most people aren't all interested in politics to know about every politician. Of course there is ignorance on both sides but lets be real i would bet you more people who voted for Republican are more informed of their parties incumbent than people who voted Democrat. To say that Obama was better than McCain i will say this "We will never know". We didn't need a community organizer who didn't know what they were doing as President. We needed someone who had been around long enough to know better how things worked.

I know for a fact news stations ran stuff like having a reporter going out and asking people why they voted for Obama and then started telling them the policies of McCain and most of them replied "Yeah that sounds like Obama." Most voters have no clue and you don't even realize this. Sorry most people aren't all interested in politics to know about every politician. Of course there is ignorance on both sides but lets be real i would bet you more people who voted for Republican are more informed of their parties incumbent than people who voted Democrat. To say that Obama was better than McCain i will say this "We will never know". We didn't need a community organizer who didn't know what they were doing as President. We needed someone who had been around long enough to know better how things worked.

How would you even quantify the bold? You're simply saying, "I'm Republican, so I think Republicans are more informed." Be honest with yourself.

I'm saying, screw both parties. They don't care about you. They want your money, your vote and your silence. Stop registering as a Republican and free your mind of the derp they're spewing at you. Don't register as a Democrat, either - more derp. Join the growing ranks of Moderate Independents, who adhere to neither party.

How would you even quantify the bold? You're simply saying, "I'm Republican, so I think Republicans are more informed." Be honest with yourself.

I'm saying, screw both parties. They don't care about you. They want your money, your vote and your silence. Stop registering as a Republican and free your mind of the derp they're spewing at you. Don't register as a Democrat, either - more derp. Join the growing ranks of Moderate Independents, who adhere to neither party.

Moderates might be growing but they are still voting Democrat or Republican. Btw i never said i was a Republican or Democrat.

Moderates might be growing but they are still voting Democrat or Republican. Btw i never said i was a Republican or Democrat.

They're voting Democrat or Republican because - for now - those are the only two viable choices. That doesn't mean we like it. If you live on a desert island, you're going to eat coconut and crab every night. Kinda stuck like that.

They're voting Democrat or Republican because - for now - those are the only two viable choices. That doesn't mean we like it. If you live on a desert island, you're going to eat coconut and crab every night. Kinda stuck like that.

Except there are other parties to vote for. They don't gain traction cause independents aren't really independent. Just like being a RINO. Independents only have themselves to blame.

Independents are to blame for what? For not supporting one party over the other dogmatically? For not filling Republican or Democrat coffers with money? For being far more likely to vote for those tertiary other parties than the zombies who vote for whichever guy has an ( R ) or a ( D ) next to their name?

Get off your high horse. Independents today aren't to blame for America's two-party system. The only reason those tertiary parties exist is because of Independents. Go sell that line to someone else.