Rex Burkhead an ideal leader for NU's young backs

Perhaps it's just a bluff.

Maybe Nebraska is deliberately sending out signals that running back Rex Burkhead will be a workhorse in the offense this season. Yes, "workhorse." That's how the Huskers' 2011 football media guide describes Burkhead's upcoming role.

Maybe such talk is designed to mislead opponents.

OK, maybe not.

"The coaches have kind of told me to expect a load," said Burkhead, a 5-foot-11, 210-pound junior.

Well, folks call him "Superman" for a reason. So bring on the responsibility. Bring on the pressure. Bring on the bruises.

"Whether that's to go out at receiver at times or play wildcat quarterback, I'm ready for it," he said.

Burkhead actually showed such readiness last season, when his workload increased markedly in the final six games after quarterback Taylor Martinez suffered an ankle injury against Missouri.

In those last six games, Burkhead averaged a combined total of 17.5 rushes and receptions per game. In an overtime triumph at Iowa State, he took several snaps out of the wildcat formation and rushed 20 times for a career-high 129 yards and two touchdowns.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_c5b9189e-c7e5-5fd4-846e-294955347e4f.html

Bad news, it looks like all 3 incoming freshman backs will play this year.

Way to waste eligibility <_<

It's been mentioned that some of them might play receiver some of the time. Or at least motion out to receiver. If they're that good that the coaches don't want to redshirt them, I'd prefer them being out there now. Nebraska never seems to have a shortage of good RBs anyway.

You never know about injuries as well. Think of the message this sends recruits as well ... even at RB, you can get on the field at Nebraska. I like the pipeline being full and the experience learned will be a big plus.

^^ This. It's a crapshoot as to whether Rex can play the full sched as #1 back without getting dinged up. Even if he stays healthy we've got to have depth to come in and spell him.