Stoddard pushing for playing time

Good read on Stoddards hard work.

Nebraska's Graham Stoddard had to endure a true freshman season full of scout team beatdowns before he felt comfortable enough to approach the coaching staff with a proposal about two years ago.

The walk-on stepped into assistant John Papuchis' office, hoping to fill an opening on special teams.

Any opening, really. All Stoddard wanted was a chance.

"That was the first thing I did before spring ball," Stoddard said. "I went and talked to Coach JP. I said, 'I'd really like an opportunity to show you what I can do on special teams.'"

Papuchis agreed. And Stoddard didn't disappoint.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110811/BIGRED/708119735/-1#stoddard-pushing-for-playing-time

And this is the reason why I think we need more walk-ons. Never know if you can get that diamond in the rough.

The whole 2nd unit may be walkons. May, Roach, Stoddard may all be 2nd team after all said and done. Glad to have them. Walkons give your program depth and strengthens the blue-collar work attitude. It also points out that this is one of the thinner positions.

I've heard good things about Derek Slaughter, physically he is a little undersized, but so was Lavonte David, until he bulked up. Give the kid some time in the weight room and to learn the defense. Kid has got some great speed as a LB.

If we had a walk on hero LB named Derek Slaughter...that would be the COOLEST thing ever. He would be an instant folk hero. I'm rooting for him from now on.

• Fire 1

Does it bother anyone else that all three LB positions at the second level might be walkons? Nothing against the WO program, but what is it about our constantly being thin at this position?

Heavy hits to a couple classes account for that.

The recruited LBs from the 2007 class Blake Lawrence and Austin Stafford could be seniors this year but no longer with team. Compton and Fisher represent the 2008 class along with Alonzo Whaley and Micah Kreikemeier but fellow LB recruit Kyler Reed now on offense. Of the two LB recruits from the 2009 class Chris Williams no longer with team and Eric Martin moved over to DE. Lavonte David was the only LB in the 2010 class.

Does it bother anyone else that all three LB positions at the second level might be walkons? Nothing against the WO program, but what is it about our constantly being thin at this position?

Heavy hits to a couple classes account for that.

The recruited LBs from the 2007 class Blake Lawrence and Austin Stafford could be seniors this year but no longer with team. Compton and Fisher represent the 2008 class along with Alonzo Whaley and Micah Kreikemeier but fellow LB recruit Kyler Reed now on offense. Of the two LB recruits from the 2009 class Chris Williams no longer with team and Eric Martin moved over to DE. Lavonte David was the only LB in the 2010 class.

Lots of misses(for various reasons) there. Blake was nothing special but the concussions are still very unfortunate. Stafford was a bust. Kreik was borderline to begin-with but was playing credibly before the injury bug bit too hard. Whaley has just never gotten it. Williams was a big talent but was really halfassing it after his knee-injury, think he plays 1AA now. Kyler was supposed to be a beast when they tried him at LB but he had his choice and prefers TE/HB. Martin wasn't quite working at LB, but at least he appears to have found his position at DE.

Not surprising that we'll be relying on walk-ons for depth. Glad we got 'em.