SI.com predicts NU to win Big Ten

Let me clarify. I think we'll have to depend on Carnes because I don't think there's any way Martinez gets through the season without needing to sit out because of injury. I said things will probably be bumpy with Carnes this year, especially if we have to depend on him WHEN Martinez goes down. So what part of "bumpy" did you take as "confidence in Carnes"?

Also, I should add that I do have some confidence in Martinez, at least enough to trust he'll help us destroy non-conf teams. It's those big conference games when his confidence and poise will be tested most that I worry.

Gotcha. We'll see how much pounding Martinez takes this year. Hopefully no fluke hits like the ankle shot vs. Missouri and/or the Caputo foot stomp against A&M.

No doubt. The foot stomp was the turning point in the game. If that did not happen, we would have won that game by a few scores. If you look at Taylor's reaction, he pretty much checked out of the game mentally after that play.

Please oh please don't get us started down the A&M road again.

Although it is worth noting Martinez definitely "checked out" a few times last year. Do that in any game this year, and we're in trouble...especially if we need to depend on the passing game.

I think NU is walking the fine line between being a great team and 4 loss team. Hopefully they can keep it together for a full season.

I got that same feeling. Could go either way. Probably end up somewhere in between though.

We have a team with a history of not showing for certain games. All this positive pub, plus the coaches seeming to be more vocal than in the past makes we worry about this year. The kids start to believe the press and we could have problems. I see us losing several games this year, I am worried about us stopping the run, and I am worried about Wisconsin just flat running over us in the ground game.

The Wisconsin game will tell us where we are and how far we will go.

I never go into a season thinking we are going to win everything, but this year I have more reservations than ever before.

It's all good as long as the posters here at Huskerboard post doom and gloom and debby downing type stuff to keep the players on track...