SI.com predicts NU to win Big Ten

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm most concerned about our QB, and in any conference, it's the QB that makes all the difference. Show me a healthy, poised, SMART Taylor Martinez, and I'll show you a Nebraska team vying for the conference title in Indy. Unfortunately the lasting impression I have of Martinez misses the mark on all accounts.

I think NU is walking the fine line between being a great team and 4 loss team. Hopefully they can keep it together for a full season.

That's no different than the past two seasons.

and your OK with this I take it... I would like to see them exceed the media hype for once.

I always been concerned about Taylor and always will be. I wont be surprised if he gets injured again or turf toe at the minimum. Until 3/4 of this season is thru will my mind change about him.

Even if he does stay healthy, I just get the feeling he doesn't have what it takes in the big games. And last I checked, we have 6 or 7 big games this season.

If I had to guess, I'd say we'll need to depend on Carnes for at least a couple games this year. Don't get me wrong b/c I love Carnes and think he is the future, but we all know how bumpy things can get with someone who has minimal big game PT.

Even if he does stay healthy, I just get the feeling he doesn't have what it takes in the big games. And last I checked, we have 6 or 7 big games this season.

If I had to guess, I'd say we'll need to depend on Carnes for at least a couple games this year. Don't get me wrong b/c I love Carnes and think he is the future, but we all know how bumpy things can get with someone who has minimal big game PT.

So... you have no confidence in a guy who struggled as an injured Freshman playing behind an injured O Line with an OC who was lost half the time, but you do have confidence in Carnes who has never taken a D1A snap?

This makes no sense to me.

So... you have no confidence in a guy who struggled as an injured Freshman playing behind an injured O Line with an OC who was lost half the time, but you do have confidence in Carnes who has never taken a D1A snap?

Let me clarify. I think we'll have to depend on Carnes because I don't think there's any way Martinez gets through the season without needing to sit out because of injury. I said things will probably be bumpy with Carnes this year, especially if we have to depend on him WHEN Martinez goes down. So what part of "bumpy" did you take as "confidence in Carnes"?

Also, I should add that I do have some confidence in Martinez, at least enough to trust he'll help us destroy non-conf teams. It's those big conference games when his confidence and poise will be tested most that I worry.

I'm making no predictions.

If you were to make a prediction, what would it be? Ya know, hypothetically speaking.

Speaking strictly for the Big Ten, I could go either way on a prediction. I think we have a decent shot at winning the division, but a conference championship in our first year in the B1G is a tall order at best.

Let me clarify. I think we'll have to depend on Carnes because I don't think there's any way Martinez gets through the season without needing to sit out because of injury. I said things will probably be bumpy with Carnes this year, especially if we have to depend on him WHEN Martinez goes down. So what part of "bumpy" did you take as "confidence in Carnes"?

Also, I should add that I do have some confidence in Martinez, at least enough to trust he'll help us destroy non-conf teams. It's those big conference games when his confidence and poise will be tested most that I worry.

As would any QB, freshman or senior. Martinez didn't step up during these games last year, so I can see your concern. I would say he was great against Okie lite though, and also say he had a fairly solid game against Texas - which was arguably our "biggest" game of the year when you look at the hype and buildup/pressure.

Post-injury is another story. Most of his breakdowns seemed as much mental as physical though - so I'm not sure how closely his brain is wired to his ankle, but he certainly left a lot of question marks out there for this year.

I'm waiting until after the Ohio State game to rush to any major judgements though. I'm skeptical but hopeful at the same time. Better odds he's successful than we had of Bubba come here though right!?!

Gotcha. We'll see how much pounding Martinez takes this year. Hopefully no fluke hits like the ankle shot vs. Missouri and/or the Caputo foot stomp against A&M.

Until I see our offense play well every game, from beginning to end, I'm not going to be comfortable. I'm not worried about our defense at all, as long as Bo is here that will always be our strongest area. I just don't know what to expect from Beck and hope like hell the O-line is ALOT better than they were last season. Our team needs to learn to play from beginning to end at 100% and they've only done that a few games a year over the past 3 years.

Gotcha. We'll see how much pounding Martinez takes this year. Hopefully no fluke hits like the ankle shot vs. Missouri and/or the Caputo foot stomp against A&M.

No doubt. The foot stomp was the turning point in the game. If that did not happen, we would have won that game by a few scores. If you look at Taylor's reaction, he pretty much checked out of the game mentally after that play.