UFC reaches deal with FOX

GSG

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/FOX-and-UFC-announce-official-partnership-Four-?urn=mma-wp6046

Beginning on Nov. 12, FOX will air four major UFC fight cards each year. The UFC's reality show "The Ultimate Fighter" will be moving from Spike to FX. The format will change from a taped show to airing live fights each Friday night.

During the two seasons each year, FX will air every "Ultimate Fighter" fight live. There will also be six UFC Fight Nights each year on FX.

"We will own Friday nights," said Shanks. "There will be 32 total fight nights each year on FX.

I like UFC more then I do boxing, now that Tyson is done but the old "friday night fights" idea is really really hard to pull off. I think that Dana White is pretty much amazing when it comes to the job he did with a sport that just a few years ago was less popular then skateboarding or fat girl lovin' but this is just going to be tough.

Right now, the UFC pay per views are events, like a Husker game is an event. You get a limited amount of them each year so you basically "plan" for them.

I know this will take the place of the pay per view events, I just don't think Friday night is the place to put it.

Maybe I am way wrong but Friday night, its a tough sell on a consistent basis.

Yeah I agree on the Friday night thing. That's a tough sell for tv shows, let alone sports.

The plus side of the Friday night events is that they'll be on an expanded basic cable channel, meaning places like bars won't have to pay the PPV price for them because it'll be on a channel they already have.

I concur, Friday nights are going to be a tough sell.

But I think they'll be aiming for the over 30 crowd, married, hopefully tuning in at home with a few beers to watch the fights.

As much as I hate to say it, I'm not sure if I'll watch. By the 3rd season of the Ultimate Fighter, it'd lost interest with me, due to my opinion that it's getting a bit too watered down. Pre 2005 were when UFC, K-1, and PRIDE were at their most entertaining.

I actually enjoyed UFC before Dana bought it. Having s tier and one person could fight upto 6 matches in a day was exciting for me.

Well the Fertittas are the ones that bought the UFC, Dana only owns about 10% of Zuffa, LLC.

And as far as the 1-day tournament style fights, I think you have the athletic commissions to blame for doing away with that. Most guys aren't even allowed to be in the gym for at least a month after a fight.

But I think they'll be aiming for the over 30 crowd, married, hopefully tuning in at home with a few beers to watch the fights.

As much as I hate to say it, I'm not sure if I'll watch. By the 3rd season of the Ultimate Fighter, it'd lost interest with me, due to my opinion that it's getting a bit too watered down. Pre 2005 were when UFC, K-1, and PRIDE were at their most entertaining.

According to Dana, they're going to work with FOX on ways to improve TUF and even the production of their PPVs, etc.

I'm curious as to why you think MMA was better before 2005?

It is way more watered down now then pre-2005. Only rules were no hits below the belt, other then that it was fair game.

Blood everywhere and the only way a fight stopped was either a tap or not moving anymore. There was no decisions and no stopping the fight cause one can't defend. I agree with a time limit but not limiting the rounds. We don't need another hour of Shamrock and Gracie lying on the ground.

According to Dana, they're going to work with FOX on ways to improve TUF and even the production of their PPVs, etc.

I'm curious as to why you think MMA was better before 2005?

Before 2005, I got to see guys in their prime.

Chuck Lidell, Tito Ortiz, Andrei Arlovski, Mirko Cro Cop, Matt Hughes, Randy Couture, Rampage Jackson, Rich Franklin, just to name a few...

Too many pay per views, couple of TUF's per year. It's not about the competition, it's about the money.

It is way more watered down now then pre-2005. Only rules were no hits below the belt, other then that it was fair game. Blood everywhere and the only way a fight stopped was either a tap or not moving anymore. There was no decisions and no stopping the fight cause one can't defend. I agree with a time limit but not limiting the rounds. We don't need another hour of Shamrock and Gracie lying on the ground.

So you don't watch it for the "sport" or the skill or anything like that. You just want to see someone get the sh#t kicked out of them. I see stuff like that for free at the bar on a pretty regular basis.

Also, the unified rules for mma have been around since 2000, so you should have stopped liking it then. If they didn't have these rules, there probably wouldn't even BE a UFC or anything like it. It would probably be a "tough guy" competition relegated to roped off wrestling mat at your county fair with NO tv coverage.

The guys that fight now are better skilled and better conditioned than the original "tough guys," so that's going to cut down on the overmatched ass beatings you'd like to see.

I concur, Friday nights are going to be a tough sell.But I think they'll be aiming for the over 30 crowd, married, hopefully tuning in at home with a few beers to watch the fights.As much as I hate to say it, I'm not sure if I'll watch. By the 3rd season of the Ultimate Fighter, it'd lost interest with me, due to my opinion that it's getting a bit too watered down. Pre 2005 were when UFC, K-1, and PRIDE were at their most entertaining.
According to Dana, they're going to work with FOX on ways to improve TUF and even the production of their PPVs, etc.I'm curious as to why you think MMA was better before 2005?
Before 2005, I got to see guys in their prime. Chuck Lidell, Tito Ortiz, Andrei Arlovski, Mirko Cro Cop, Matt Hughes, Randy Couture, Rampage Jackson, Rich Franklin, just to name a few...Too many pay per views, couple of TUF's per year. It's not about the competition, it's about the money.

So you don't like it now because the guys you liked to watch fight are either too old and retired or are too old and just aren't as good anymore?

Rampage has a title fight coming up in the next couple months.

I agree with you on the too many PPVs part. There aren't enough high profile fights in the year to have a PPV or two EVERY month. In my opinion, if there isn't at least a title fight on the card, it shouldn't be PPV. Maybe the FOX deal will eventually morph into have a free card one month and a PPV the next and just alternate like that throughout the year.

No, I like the skill while someone gets their ass kicked. You can have it both ways on this one. You want skill but have 3 - 3 minute rounds. Where is the skill in that? Make it limitless rounds until someone is out.

You are correct, the last time I liked it was 1996, then wasn't able to watch until late 2000s.

No, I like the skill while someone gets their ass kicked. You can have it both ways on this one. You want skill but have 3 - 3 minute rounds. Where is the skill in that? Make it limitless rounds until someone is out.

You are correct, the last time I liked it was 1996, then wasn't able to watch until late 2000s.

Its 3-5 min. rounds and if they didn't have rules and safety precautions, someone would be dead by now. To tell you the truth, Im surprised there hasn't been a death yet. Sometimes they do stop fights too early, but most of the time, they stop them at the right time and for good reason.

And for walksalone, my favorite fighter was Randy Couture and I was very sad to see him retire, but for every retired fighter, a new young guy steps up. Ever see Jon Bones Jones fight? The kid is 23 and extremely skilled. He is the light heavyweight champion. GSP is fun to watch. There are a lot of up and coming fighters that are fun to watch.

I am a big mma fan, loved PRIDE except for that crazy woman announcer. I used to buy all the UFC ppv's but in this last year have lost interest because of all the watered down ppv cards that should have been on spike or versus. That, and Dana White is a giant douche. I would be very suprised if they ever have anything other then b list cards on FOX.