Young players may play big roles in Husker offense

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_908482ed-58ea-553d-8ac7-0bd0bb97fc98.html

The Huskers figure to lean hard on receivers Jamal Turner (true freshman) and Kenny Bell (redshirt freshman), as well as at least two of three true freshman running backs -- Ameer Abdullah, Aaron Green and Braylon Heard.

What's more, true freshman offensive linemen Tyler Moore, Ryan Klachko and Ryne Reeves are getting serious looks, line coach Barney Cotton said. Redshirt freshman Jake Cotton, the coach's son, has a great chance to start at a guard spot.

Apologies to anyone I'm missing.

Husker head coach Bo Pelini believes strongly that most freshmen require substantial time to mature both on and off the field. In fact, Pelini last month spoke passionately about the benefits of making freshmen ineligible for competition.

That tells me one thing - there is no way all 3 frosh RBs see PT this season. I think several of us have been thinking we'd see all 3 this year, but I have no doubts a redshirt will be dished out.

Husker head coach Bo Pelini believes strongly that most freshmen require substantial time to mature both on and off the field. In fact, Pelini last month spoke passionately about the benefits of making freshmen ineligible for competition.

That tells me one thing - there is no way all 3 frosh RBs see PT this season. I think several of us have been thinking we'd see all 3 this year, but I have no doubts a redshirt will be dished out.

I have been one to think that 1 would red shirt for sure. Maybe I'm in the minority here..? with the talent that is there they will be able to see who stands out the most in camp and set the roster accordingly. Its been fun to hear about these guys and different people are saying different things. Some people hear that Green and Heard will play and Ameer will RS... I've heard that Ameer has looked the best so far of the 3... they must be really really close as far as talent and athleticism. I for one don't think i will be disappointed with any of the 3 from the sounds of it.

I have been one to think that 1 would red shirt for sure. Maybe I'm in the minority here..? with the talent that is there they will be able to see who stands out the most in camp and set the roster accordingly. Its been fun to hear about these guys and different people are saying different things. Some people hear that Green and Heard will play and Ameer will RS... I've heard that Ameer has looked the best so far of the 3... they must be really really close as far as talent and athleticism. I for one don't think i will be disappointed with any of the 3 from the sounds of it.

I'm with you there. And I tell you what, I'm anxious to see what kind of impact Mike Marrow will have.

I'm with you there. And I tell you what, I'm anxious to see what kind of impact Mike Marrow will have.

I may be a little slow on this one but has there been a ruling on Marrow's elegibility? Last I heard we were still waiting on that. I hope we do because I think he would fit in nicely as goal line & short yardage back.

Next year?

Can someone clue me in on why there was a thought that Mike Marrow would be eligible to play this year, please? He transferred, right? I thought they had to sit out a year.

He sent in a request for him to play this year because he transferred because of family reasons. I'm not sure if the NCAA accepted the request or not.

So let me get this straight: Bo wants to make Freshman ineligible to play, for various reasons, yet these same Freshman are expected to make in impact for our team? It just seems like saying two things at once. "These guys shouldn't be on the field, however, we are excited about X, Y and Z contributing in their true Freshman year."

So which one is it?

If they can make an impact we play them but if they can't we red-shirt or sit them?

Isn't that the benefit of red-shirting by getting adjusted into what they have to do? Why make them ineligible when we can just red-shirt them?

So let me get this straight: Bo wants to make Freshman ineligible to play, for various reasons, yet these same Freshman are expected to make in impact for our team? It just seems like saying two things at once. "These guys shouldn't be on the field, however, we are excited about X, Y and Z contributing in their true Freshman year."

So which one is it?

If they can make an impact we play them but if they can't we red-shirt or sit them?

Isn't that the benefit of red-shirting by getting adjusted into what they have to do? Why make them ineligible when we can just red-shirt them?

Bo's position isn't necessarily contradictory, and it mirrors what most coaches think. Most coaches want to redshirt freshman for a variety of reasons - get them acclimated to being away from home, get them used to college classes and time-management, get them used to the speed of the game, etc., all without the added pressure of having to perform. Yes, some of them can help - but coaches would still rather give them a year in the weight room and the classroom.

However, given that a lot of kids state that "early playing time" is a factor in recruiting, coupled with the fact that kids are eligible as freshman - well, a coach pretty much has to play those that can. And since they are eligible, you play those that will help. But coaches really would like the rule - so long as all schools are held to it and can't use it as a recruiting point ("We play freshmen at State U - but Nebraska doesn't...").