Barney Cotton to help Beck coach from the booth, not the sidelines

knapplc

Sean_Callahan Sean Callahan

Bo Pelini on the new offense: "You are going to see a combination of spread and old school Nebraska football." #Huskers

Bo Pelini on the new offense: "You are going to see a combination of spread and old school Nebraska football." #Huskers

"You are going to see a combination of spread and old school Nebraska football."

old school Nebraska football

This makes me happy in pants.

...*walks away*

bshirt, this may come as a shock to you, but Barney has been the Associate Head Coach/Offensive Line since he returned in 2008. He walked in the door with far more control than you're allowing for. It has been well-documented that we have bent over backwards to work with Barney and get him on the same page as everyone else, but he hasn't played ball - the fiasco with Milt Tenopir last year being the most notable instance. Barney isn't doing everything he can to make things work. He's obstinately staying his own course, and that is not going to fly here.

EZ-E has speculated that Barney is on his way out the door by way of the booth. It will not surprise me in the least if that happens. In fact, I rather expected it last February when Watson and Gilmore were moved on.

The problems with Milt haven't been overblown. Milt's respect for Cotton as a coach is almost nonexistent. The time that Osborne and Tenopir have spent trying like hell to get Barney to a level of even basic competency is mind boggling, and this has been at Bo's request, because he recognizes this as a huge problem.

The writing is on the wall with Cotton's move to the booth on this one. Spare me the Tenopir comparison, because Milt had proven himself as a coach, and was allowed to do those things. Cotton has not proven himself as a competent coach/coordinator in his time here in Lincoln. This move has see you later written all over it, much like it did for Ekeler last fall. If you get our your Bo cypher, you will see what this means. Next year Barney will likely still be in the "front office" where he can be the recipient of "Husker Welfare"

• Fire 1

bshirt, this may come as a shock to you, but Barney has been the Associate Head Coach/Offensive Line since he returned in 2008. He walked in the door with far more control than you're allowing for. It has been well-documented that we have bent over backwards to work with Barney and get him on the same page as everyone else, but he hasn't played ball - the fiasco with Milt Tenopir last year being the most notable instance. Barney isn't doing everything he can to make things work. He's obstinately staying his own course, and that is not going to fly here.

EZ-E has speculated that Barney is on his way out the door by way of the booth. It will not surprise me in the least if that happens. In fact, I rather expected it last February when Watson and Gilmore were moved on.

The problems with Milt haven't been overblown. Milt's respect for Cotton as a coach is almost nonexistent. The time that Osborne and Tenopir have spent trying like hell to get Barney to a level of even basic competency is mind boggling, and this has been at Bo's request, because he recognizes this as a huge problem.

The writing is on the wall with Cotton's move to the booth on this one. Spare me the Tenopir comparison, because Milt had proven himself as a coach, and was allowed to do those things. Cotton has not proven himself as a competent coach/coordinator in his time here in Lincoln. This move has see you later written all over it, much like it did for Ekeler last fall. If you get our your Bo cypher, you will see what this means. Next year Barney will likely still be in the "front office" where he can be the recipient of "Husker Welfare"

Thank you very much for telling it like it is. It gives me hope that the fan base isn't a bunch of brainless twits that assume everything that the staff past or present is unchallengeable. It's disgusting on how some people will defend a sinking ship like Barney. Actually I don't think that ship could ever float, but anyway the sooner he's gone the better. And unfortunately you hit the nail on the head with the "husker welfare" comment. He will get paid much like Jamrog to do nothing that helps the university.

You tell me what he brings to the table by being in the press box? He's not coaching the OL (which is a good thing) but if he has input with the play calling, then that is a bad thing since he was the OC for the worst offense we had the past decade. Look at it this way, Barney is the Cozgrove of OC's.

Bo has commented in the past that he has gone to Coach Cotton for ideas. There have been several articles that have indicated that Cotton is good at the big picture. Cotton has indicated that he works well with Coach Beck. Cotton will not get in Beck's way. Cotton will evaluate the splits and what the front 7 is trying to do and make recommendations when Beck asks. Splitting up the oline coaches make sense. I thought Barney did a decent job as OC when he was here. There were a few things that made it challenging for him that would of been tough for anyone. If Bo had doubts about Barney he would of made the change last year. I bet Beck had input as well. I will trust Bo&Beck on this one.

Is it Els and Raymond in the booth for the D?

Looking at it again, the last two years whoever was pushed to the box from the sideline was fired after the year, so I'll ease up on Barney since this is likely his last year here. (Thank God!)

A decent job? 345 yards a game and only scoring 16 points vs the only two teams with a heartbeat that year (7 UT and 9 KSU) is decent?

In Barney's defense we weren't exactly loaded, and Lord was pretty dang limited as a qb. He was good for the occasional play-action long-ball, that was it. Not saying he was a great OC by any means, but I'd say that O was more the product of tons of recruiting deadweight and not recruiting hard during the season than Barney.

Yes part of that is true, but that falls on Frank and his lazy recruiting. He tuned a porsche of a program into a pinto.

I gave you an inadvertent +1 there, so Merry Christmas. ;)

I don't know what you're talking about with the "spare me the Tenopir comparison" because I wasn't in any way comparing Barney to Uncle Milt. It's weird that you pulled my post from three days ago out and responded to it, because it seems like you're responding to someone else. :dunno

Thank you very much for telling it like it is. It gives me hope that the fan base isn't a bunch of brainless twits that assume everything that the staff past or present is unchallengeable. It's disgusting on how some people will defend a sinking ship like Barney. Actually I don't think that ship could ever float, but anyway the sooner he's gone the better. And unfortunately you hit the nail on the head with the "husker welfare" comment. He will get paid much like Jamrog to do nothing that helps the university.

Don't lump Jamrog in with Barney. He's actually done his job pretty well with the exception of getting a middle tier team to do a 2 for 1 with us which may not be very realistic now days. That actually falls as much on TO as it does Jamrog.

it's just a fact that Barney it a terrible coach and is a waste of money and a coaching position on the staff.

People really need to learn the difference between facts and opinions. And that's just my opinion, not a fact.

I't's amazing how many people claim their "opinions" are "facts" because....well.....because.......they say so!

No you two need to pull your head out of the sand and look at the facts. It's thinking like that that makes me want to throw up every time they call NU fans the best in the country. The facts back up the opinion that he sucks as a coach. Just look at the numbers while he's been here without your scarlet and cream glasses on.

Don't lump Jamrog in with Barney. He's actually done his job pretty well with the exception of getting a middle tier team to do a 2 for 1 with us which may not be very realistic now days. That actually falls as much on TO as it does Jamrog.

Until he schedules somebody with a heartbeat, then IMO he's not doing what he's paid to do.

You tell me what he brings to the table by being in the press box? He's not coaching the OL (which is a good thing) but if he has input with the play calling, then that is a bad thing since he was the OC for the worst offense we had the past decade. Look at it this way, Barney is the Cozgrove of OC's.

Bo has commented in the past that he has gone to Coach Cotton for ideas. There have been several articles that have indicated that Cotton is good at the big picture. Cotton has indicated that he works well with Coach Beck. Cotton will not get in Beck's way. Cotton will evaluate the splits and what the front 7 is trying to do and make recommendations when Beck asks. Splitting up the oline coaches make sense. I thought Barney did a decent job as OC when he was here. There were a few things that made it challenging for him that would of been tough for anyone. If Bo had doubts about Barney he would of made the change last year. I bet Beck had input as well. I will trust Bo&Beck on this one.

Looking at it again, the last two years whoever was pushed to the box from the sideline was fired after the year, so I'll ease up on Barney since this is likely his last year here. (Thank God!)

A decent job? 345 yards a game and only scoring 16 points vs the only two teams with a heartbeat that year (7 UT and 9 KSU) is decent?

In Barney's defense we weren't exactly loaded, and Lord was pretty dang limited as a qb. He was good for the occasional play-action long-ball, that was it. Not saying he was a great OC by any means, but I'd say that O was more the product of tons of recruiting deadweight and not recruiting hard during the season than Barney.

Yes part of that is true, but that falls on Frank and his lazy recruiting. He tuned a porsche of a program into a pinto.

Frank did have lots of recruiting problems and part of that had to do with many of his coaches not wanting to recruit out of state or recruit period. For example, it was hard to build an oline when your Oline coaches wouldn't go out on the road. Where TO made up for part of that Solich didn't.

Those stating Lord was a bad QB as a reson for Cotton's down fall at OC are off base.

I gave you an inadvertent +1 there, so Merry Christmas. ;)

I don't know what you're talking about with the "spare me the Tenopir comparison" because I wasn't in any way comparing Barney to Uncle Milt. It's weird that you pulled my post from three days ago out and responded to it, because it seems like you're responding to someone else. :dunno

I apologize on that one, I thought I was responding to the comments on your original post made by another poster. I replied to the wrong guy.

The part about Tenopir was to highlight that the "spin" in defense of this move is to point out that Uncle Milty was up in the box for games, and he was successful with it, so give Barney some slack. While it is true that Milt Tenopir was up in the box and he is universally accepted in football circles as one of the best OL coaches, the same doesn't necessarily hold true for Cotton.

I mean, if you look at something like Apple Corporation, Steve Jobs is the straw that stirs that drink. Sure he has had tons of resources and great people around him to make these things happen, but if you traded me for him tomorrow, that company wouldn't achieve the kind of success they have because I'm not Jobs, and I would likely want to make changes, and while I would be perched in the same spot he is, my view on the whole world is miles apart from Jobs. Same applies here with Milt and Barney, just because they are both perched up in the pressbox on gameday, doesn't really indicate much of anything about potential "Milt-esque" success we might have up front.

• Fire 1

Until he schedules somebody with a heartbeat, then IMO he's not doing what he's paid to do.

This statment makes it obvious you have no clue what he actually does.

Frank did have lots of recruiting problems and part of that had to do with many of his coaches not wanting to recruit out of state or recruit period. For example, it was hard to build an oline when your Oline coaches wouldn't go out on the road. Where TO made up for part of that Solich didn't.

Those stating Lord was a bad QB as a reson for Cotton's down fall at OC are off base.

What I was agreeing with was that the talent level was obviously down for the team during Frank's two years without TO's recruits. Franks belief that recruiting was for the office season was the reason for the crappy classes that he brought in and why the drop off in talent was seen immediately in year 5.

This time around we are in year 4 (talking about Barney again) and while we have gotten some good rated recruits, it seems that they don't hit their potential. Now that could be the recruiting services being off base as we all know they can be, but with the results to this point, it has to be coaching because nobody has that bad of luck to have every OL miss their potential that they recruited.

The part about Tenopir was to highlight that the "spin" in defense of this move is to point out that Uncle Milty was up in the box for games, and he was successful with it, so give Barney some slack. While it is true that Milt Tenopir was up in the box and he is universally accepted in football circles as one of the best OL coaches, the same doesn't necessarily hold true for Cotton.

I mean, if you look at something like Apple Corporation, Steve Jobs is the straw that stirs that drink. Sure he has had tons of resources and great people around him to make these things happen, but if you traded me for him tomorrow, that company wouldn't achieve the kind of success they have because I'm not Jobs, and I would likely want to make changes, and while I would be perched in the same spot he is, my view on the whole world is miles apart from Jobs. Same applies here with Milt and Barney, just because they are both perched up in the pressbox on gameday, doesn't really indicate much of anything about potential "Milt-esque" success we might have up front.

Very much agree on the Cotton analysis. Speaking specifically about results, he's not getting it done, and he needs to get "promoted" out of his position. Barney is a Made Man, to use a Mafia term, so he's never going to sleep with the fishes like Watson & Gilmore, but he's done as Consigliere. He'll get his brass watch and his cushy desk job, but he's not going to be calling shots anymore. And that's a good thing.