Ironic

jayhawk

NU is the highest rate team in the Big 10, they would be fourth in the Big 12.

Were the Big 12 intact, 40% of the top 10 would be in that one conference. way better than the two top 10 teams the SEC has (admittedly the SEC has 7 top 25 teams and the Big 12 would have merely had 5, but still, some real strength)

With all of that, the thing is exploding. I know why, but from a quality perspective, it is an interesting thing to say the least.

NU is the highest rate team in the Big 10, they would be fourth in the Big 12.

Were the Big 12 intact, 40% of the top 10 would be in that one conference. way better than the two top 10 teams the SEC has (admittedly the SEC has 7 top 25 teams and the Big 12 would have merely had 5, but still, some real strength)

With all of that, the thing is exploding. I know why, but from a quality perspective, it is an interesting thing to say the least.

Yea were gonna lose sleep over preseason polls.

I am not suggesting it somehow means we all made a big mistake in real terms, just that with this level of quality it is sad that it could not work out. I understnad on a practical level what happened. It is like if a company has the top designs and products but still can't stay in business. Obviously there are other issues than the surface ones, but all the more odd when one steps back and looks from the outside.

I am not suggesting it somehow means we all made a big mistake in real terms, just that with this level of quality it is sad that it could not work out. I understnad on a practical level what happened. It is like if a company has the top designs and products but still can't stay in business. Obviously there are other issues than the surface ones, but all the more odd when one steps back and looks from the outside.

I don't know who the "we" is you refer to, but Nebraska came out on top of all of this. We're in an even better position than we were in the Big 12-3. Kansas is the team that's gonna get f'd in all of this.

I am saying that the teams of the Big 12 had a potentially good product. It was egos that killed it. I do not think Nebreaska is coming out on top, actually You will now have huge trips to road games and the new Big 12 contract could have been worth what you get with the Big 10. I know why in real terms that is irrelevant and you did what you did, that is not the point. I am only saying were it not for the animosity, you would have your money and the closer conference, and frankly, it would be a better one in top football prowess terms. My comments were not an accusation, just an observation of how that the situation is ironic.

In most sports the overall league was very strong. Leadership wise, forward thinking wise, geography wise (for the north the north/south split wasn't working well), and equality wise it was severely lacking and definitely had a negative impact on conference unity.

It's water under the bridge here, not really worth considering "what might have been" looking back.

I think Nebraska is pretty happy where it ended up. It's somewhat entertaining to watch the big 12 scramble in realignment rumors from a far during the off-season, but now that it's pushing into the actual season it is much less so.

I am saying that the teams of the Big 12 had a potentially good product. It was egos that killed it. I do not think Nebreaska is coming out on top, actually You will now have huge trips to road games and the new Big 12 contract could have been worth what you get with the Big 10. I know why in real terms that is irrelevant and you did what you did, that is not the point. I am only saying were it not for the animosity, you would have your money and the closer conference, and frankly, it would be a better one in top football prowess terms. My comments were not an accusation, just an observation of how that the situation is ironic.

I guess people still don't get it - not everything is about money. From my naive point of view, it was about everything except tv contract money. I'd say we made out perfectly. I've heard all the arguments from outsiders who think we're going to regret the move, but I think it's just wishful thinking to want us to be unhappy or fail, etc. So far, I don't see any people upset with it at all.

That being said, I'd love to have KU (and MU) in the Big Ten, but not if it means having to bring in KSU.

I guess people still don't get it - not everything is about money. From my naive point of view, it was about everything except tv contract money. I'd say we made out perfectly. I've heard all the arguments from outsiders who think we're going to regret the move, but I think it's just wishful thinking to want us to be unhappy or fail, etc. So far, I don't see any people upset with it at all.

That being said, I'd love to have KU (and MU) in the Big Ten, but not if it means having to bring in KSU.

To be clear, I do not want Nebraksa to be unhappy. I would like to have some rivals left and conference games people could drive to. ALl that history this is all built on is what makes it not a minor league to the NFL.

If you look at money wise, we will be getting alot more, even with the road trip costs then when we were in the big12 (or would have gotten if we stayed).

The road trips is my only grip with being in the big10, but that is because I live in Oklahoma and had two road games within 15 to 45 minutes from my house.

Carl--KU Chancellor said that the Kitties have to find their own way the other day and that KU is not tethered to them. I think I posted a thread on it somewhere...

Still think that if the Big 10 expands, Kansas is on the short list because of Olympic sports, basketball, and Kansas/Missouri market expansion. Thing is, Delaney doesn't see expansion beyond 12 as a necessity, and the more this goes on, the more I'm inclined to agree with him.

---

And Jayhawk, Carl's right--it's honestly everything *but* money as to why Nebraska left the Big XII. Perhaps if our Big 8 conference mates had voted with us instead of against us all those times? Or...perhaps if the conference had complained about a UT alum in charge of all conference officials? Or perhaps if the Big XII had an academic consortium to go along with the athletic...?

Any concerns that Nebraska was doing the wrong thing in moving to the Big 10 were laid to rest in seeing how our former Big 8 conference mates treated us and allowed those kids on the field to be railroaded three times over last year.

Interesting on who is leaving (again just an observation)

NU finished #2 in the league last year and left (perhaps to a stronger league)

A&M looked pretty good last night and is the second ranked nationally Big 12 team now (definitely to a stronger league)

OU is ranked #1 in the country and is making noise about moving (probably a parallel move)

Except for some team I can't but my finger on, its the top teams that are leaving. I think most of the time it would make sense that the bottom teams would be leaving for greener pastures.

Interesting on who is leaving (again just an observation)

NU finished #2 in the league last year and left (perhaps to a stronger league)

A&M looked pretty good last night and is the second ranked nationally Big 12 team now (definitely to a stronger league)

OU is ranked #1 in the country and is making noise about moving (probably a parallel move)

Except for some team I can't but my finger on, its the top teams that are leaving. I think most of the time it would make sense that the bottom teams would be leaving for greener pastures.

That is my point though, the issue was NOT the talent in the league, and A&M may make less money when it leaves....

The top teams have other options.

I, personally, would amend this to 'the top teams that can draw an audience have other options'.

Okie Lite is supposedly a 'top team' in the Big XII, if ratings are to be believed. And Okie Lite's only option is to shackle themselves to their more successful big brother through legislative means to ensure they have a destination. That's hardly a real 'option', don't you think?

And to think that Pickens was against welfare for the needy. :|