i love burkhead

melscott62

My how the opinion of our starting RB changes over a weeks time...

??? Was anybody down on Burkhead last week? As far as I remember, people were down on the O-Line, not Rex.

There was a thread (not sure of the title) where people were saying Burkhead just wasn't good enough to get it done. Wasn't fast enough, etc. I'm not making this up.

Beanman confirms. There were quite a few folks bitching about Rex after last week's game. I thought he had a piss-poor blitz pickup today, but other than that he was great.

My how the opinion of our starting RB changes over a weeks time...

??? Was anybody down on Burkhead last week? As far as I remember, people were down on the O-Line, not Rex.

There was a thread (not sure of the title) where people were saying Burkhead just wasn't good enough to get it done. Wasn't fast enough, etc. I'm not making this up.

I can see where some might think that way. He's not really a homerun threat in the way that TM and Abdulla are, and sometimes he looks just a tiny bit slow or late getting into the hole or crease (I thought I noticed this a couple of time against Fresno), but is there anyone you would rather have when you have to have two tough yards.

OK, this needs to be said. I can't believe I didn't notice this until this year, (and it was my brother who actually directed my attention towards it) but Rex is not good in pass protection. Not decent, not average, flat out bad pass protection. There have been a number of plays that have completely blown up because Rex just whiffed on his responsibility. Then we hear Martinez is skittish, horrible in the pocket, ect.

It shocks me, because his game is so well rounded, and he plays so tough running through the tackles, ALWAYS falling forward after contact. The kid's game screams blue-collar. If there was ever an NU running back who I would think would be a solid blocker in pass protect, it would be Rex.

Don't take my word for it. Re-watch yesterdays game, re-watch the Fresno game. You'll be as suprised as I was when I started looking for it. If we're keeping the RB in the backfield, not sending him into the flat for a check-down, then it is VITAL that RB picks up his responsibility so your quarterback has time to let his downfield routes develop. I'm promising you guys, Rex isn't doing it.

I hate saying anything bad about Burkhead, and I'm sure some people might jump on me a little for saying something derogatory about one of all of our favorite players. But I know what I've seen. And consistently missing your responsibility in pass-protect as a RB is a pretty big deal.

I cannot believe the memory problem HB has. There was post after post about what is wrong with Burkhead through the first two games. Somewhere in the 2nd quarter the real Burkhead showed up.. I do believe he has some pass blocking problems, but I also think he will pick it up very, very soon. He's a stud and I'm glad he's back

I saw it tody and have seen it last year- Rex sucks at pass-protection, not sure why, as he seems to do everything else he's asked- maybe thats why we saw the other backs more today, I'm not sure but I think they came in after Rex whiffed on a pass-block that almost got TM beheaded

OK, this needs to be said. I can't believe I didn't notice this until this year, (and it was my brother who actually directed my attention towards it) but Rex is not good in pass protection. Not decent, not average, flat out bad pass protection. There have been a number of plays that have completely blown up because Rex just whiffed on his responsibility. Then we hear Martinez is skittish, horrible in the pocket, ect.

It shocks me, because his game is so well rounded, and he plays so tough running through the tackles, ALWAYS falling forward after contact. The kid's game screams blue-collar. If there was ever an NU running back who I would think would be a solid blocker in pass protect, it would be Rex.

Don't take my word for it. Re-watch yesterdays game, re-watch the Fresno game. You'll be as suprised as I was when I started looking for it. If we're keeping the RB in the backfield, not sending him into the flat for a check-down, then it is VITAL that RB picks up his responsibility so your quarterback has time to let his downfield routes develop. I'm promising you guys, Rex isn't doing it.

I hate saying anything bad about Burkhead, and I'm sure some people might jump on me a little for saying something derogatory about one of all of our favorite players. But I know what I've seen. And consistently missing your responsibility in pass-protect as a RB is a pretty big deal.

I agree that he wiffed on a pass protection play yesterday, but I wouldn't say he's consistantly bad at it. I've seen him make plenty of blocks that have led to touchdown passes as well. I also believe he would be a bigger play guy if Tmart would pitch the ball to him more. The pitches Martinez was making to Green and Heard are the types of plays that Burkhead needs more of.