From a Badger/Husker fan

HuskyBadger

I can't wait for this weekend - growing up in Wisconsin the Badgers are my 1A team, but my Step-Father is from Lincoln and he brought Husker football into my house. Like I said the Badgers are my 1A, but the Huskers are 1B for me, one of my favorite football plays ever was the Crouch TD catch against Oklahoma, I still have a Bobby Newcombe jersey hanging up and I used to love watching Carlos Polk smash into people. Just can't wait for this game, hope the Badgers win, but wish you all luck the rest of the way.

Most Badger fans that I know don't expect this to be easy, but knowing the Huskers as well as I do, I'm scared of what happens if Martinez rips off some big plays and your......our......(this game is going to be like watching my kids fight....if I had kids.....maybe my dogs) defense gets going.

There are a couple advantages you guys have in this game that aren't being talked about much.

- Our kicker last year, Phillip Welch, is a really good player, veteran, strong leg, consistent; problem is he hasn't played this year with a pulled quad. He might be back for this game in some "capacity" as BB puts it, but Badger fans don't want to see any game come down to a FG at the end. His backup on kickoffs was really shaky last week booting two kicks out of bounds and several others either short or nearly out of bounds. With Abdullah back to return, this could turn into a big-time advantage for the Big-Red.......er.....Nebraska.

- The zone-read; gave us problems against UNLV, it also gave us problems against TCU last year with Dalton running it. With Martinez in the backfield, this could really cause issues for the Badger defense, we haven't looked really good against this type of threat in the past and we haven't seen somebody like Martinez.

- Despite the hype, our running game isn't as good this year as it was at the end of last season. We've had trouble getting it kickstarted in each of the last three games - part of this is due to teams loaded up the box, but part of it is we are still trying to replace the two All-Americans we lost off of last year's line (Carimi and Moffitt). Another interesting aspect is we've usually had a big-bruising tailback to pound away (John Clay last year, PJ Hill the several years before) but we don't have that guy this year. Ball is about 205 and White is even smaller, both are very good backs - but you're linebacker speed is going to play better against them then it would a guy like John Clay.

- We don't have a true deep threat, Nick Toon has developed into a really good WR this year and he's going to make $$ as an NFL player, but he's a bigger physical guy, not a true burner. On the other side Jarrad Abbredaris is a very good possession WR who is a great blocker, but also not a true deep threat. This should allow you guys to creep your safeties closer to the LOS and help out with the running game without conceding deep passes.

Reading these boards and talking to some family members that Husker fans - I think most underestimate our passing game, it's been better than our running attack this year, although you could argue that they set each other up.

Like I said earlier I can't wait - love the Huskers......just love the Badgers a little more.

• Fire 5

I can't wait for this weekend - growing up in Wisconsin the Badgers are my 1A team, but my Step-Father is from Lincoln and he brought Husker football into my house. Like I said the Badgers are my 1A, but the Huskers are 1B for me, one of my favorite football plays ever was the Crouch TD catch against Oklahoma, I still have a Bobby Newcombe jersey hanging up and I used to love watching Carlos Polk smash into people. Just can't wait for this game, hope the Badgers win, but wish you all luck the rest of the way.

Most Badger fans that I know don't expect this to be easy, but knowing the Huskers as well as I do, I'm scared of what happens if Martinez rips off some big plays and your......our......(this game is going to be like watching my kids fight....if I had kids.....maybe my dogs) defense gets going.

There are a couple advantages you guys have in this game that aren't being talked about much.

- Our kicker last year, Phillip Welch, is a really good player, veteran, strong leg, consistent; problem is he hasn't played this year with a pulled quad. He might be back for this game in some "capacity" as BB puts it, but Badger fans don't want to see any game come down to a FG at the end. His backup on kickoffs was really shaky last week booting two kicks out of bounds and several others either short or nearly out of bounds. With Abdullah back to return, this could turn into a big-time advantage for the Big-Red.......er.....Nebraska.

- The zone-read; gave us problems against UNLV, it also gave us problems against TCU last year with Dalton running it. With Martinez in the backfield, this could really cause issues for the Badger defense, we haven't looked really good against this type of threat in the past and we haven't seen somebody like Martinez.

- Despite the hype, our running game isn't as good this year as it was at the end of last season. We've had trouble getting it kickstarted in each of the last three games - part of this is due to teams loaded up the box, but part of it is we are still trying to replace the two All-Americans we lost off of last year's line (Carimi and Moffitt). Another interesting aspect is we've usually had a big-bruising tailback to pound away (John Clay last year, PJ Hill the several years before) but we don't have that guy this year. Ball is about 205 and White is even smaller, both are very good backs - but you're linebacker speed is going to play better against them then it would a guy like John Clay.

- We don't have a true deep threat, Nick Toon has developed into a really good WR this year and he's going to make $$ as an NFL player, but he's a bigger physical guy, not a true burner. On the other side Jarrad Abbredaris is a very good possession WR who is a great blocker, but also not a true deep threat. This should allow you guys to creep your safeties closer to the LOS and help out with the running game without conceding deep passes.

Reading these boards and talking to some family members that Husker fans - I think most underestimate our passing game, it's been better than our running attack this year, although you could argue that they set each other up.

Like I said earlier I can't wait - love the Huskers......just love the Badgers a little more.

This is some good info. The zone read can do some damage as long as Martinez doesn't get hurt or fumble...something he is prone to do.