Journalists attacking the Big Ten

knapplc

I was comparing the salaries to the SEC. Not to the rest of the Big Ten.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/35815/secs-highest-paid-assistants

This is from December.

Now Mattison is getting $750K but now the LSU dude is due for an increase to $1 Million

The OC at LSU is who stepped down at the beginning of the season was set to make $700K.

Its not just the coordinators. The QBs coaches,LBs coaches,etc all make more in the SEC.

To be fair he has a point. The Big Ten is slipping and seriously lacks depth.

Traditional powers in PSU and OSU are down and while Michigan looks pretty good they haven't played anyone thats given me confidence. Iowa and MSU are just kind of around.

UW is good, Nebraska should be as well but we won't know how good until they're really broken in to conference play.

The problem lies in the bottom half of the conference....specifically Minnesota, Purdue and Indiana. Minnesota for one is just awful, like should be in Division 2 bad.

I think the SEC is still on top and I have to hand it to the Big XII as much as I hate saying it they've got a lot of good teams and great depth. Big Ten is probably the third best BCS conference at the moment but the future is bright. If we rebound with the current slate of teams we could easily compete with the SEC for dominance in the next few years...we'd be in an even better position if we could pull Mizzou or ND.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it a little early to start writing the obituary of the "B1G"?

They should wait 4 or 5 years before pontificating on how they assume this conference is going to die. I read the first couple paragraphs of the first article, and I can already gather this guy is an SEC guy "hoovering" his conference and extolling their virtues.

The SEC is a good football conference with garbage quarterbacks. Take a second, and think to yourself, which SEC quarterback comes to mind that really impresses you. Bet you can't come up with one.

Now, think about the B1G qb's? We've got some good ones in our conference.

I know not a great conference does a quarterback make, but I don't think we're as "dead" as those two article writing douchecanoe's think we are...