Peewee League Puts Limit On Scoring

As a coach myself we had this happen the other night. We were up by 21 in the 1st so I decided to put all my backups in. Then when we scored another, I was asking any kid who wanted to play RB. No need to run up the score against a bunch of kids, yet some coaches seem to get a big chub out of it.

As far as the kid being banned....he looks like he has a great attitude about it.

I coach football and soccer for both of my kids. The one thing that is different then what I remember is practice time. It is pretty much the norm that teams practice 1 hour a week. The more 'aggressive' approach is 3-4 hours. When I was my kids age, we practiced every night for 90 minutes. We would never get away with that now.....parents won't support it.

That being said, the kids I coach aren't getting better in the one hour a week practice. In soccer, the games are controlled by kids that can handle the ball. One kid can literally beat 6-7 if he/she can control the ball. Flag football isn't a whole lot different. The kids with natural athletic ability and/or practice at home dominate all the games we play.

Times have definitely changed. I remember playing peewee football in fifth grade against a kid that would eventually play RB in the NFL. Nearly every time he touched the ball it was a TD. This wouldn't have even come up back then.

It's definitely a slippery slope, but I agree in limiting the kid's domination. The bigger challenge to me would be to make sure you don't lose the kids fire or willingness to compete. I saw the interview yesterday and he seems like a great kid (which means he has a good family).