Madison Experience

Hi pot, I'm kettle. Pretty funny post considering 90% of the posters on here are saying how bad Badger fans are. And im sure that elderly couple that I saw badger fans harrasing and pouring beer on were really being pricks...please. And quit acting like Wisconsin is paradise or something... please.

I doubt that happened. If it did, it was probably the OSU fans provoking them. I remember we invited some OSU fans to tailgate with us, and they told us to "Go f**k ourselves." It happened multiple times, although the vitriol spewed by the Buckeyes' fans varied. Classy, OSU.

Wisconsin is a gorgeous state and Madison is a beautiful city. I'm sorry we all can't have the landfill that is Cleveland in our state. Like I said--bitter, bitter fans.

not going to argue with you on an NU board. I think the video posted above says it all about Wisconsin fans.

Hi pot, I'm kettle. Pretty funny post considering 90% of the posters on here are saying how bad Badger fans are. And im sure that elderly couple that I saw badger fans harrasing and pouring beer on were really being pricks...please. And quit acting like Wisconsin is paradise or something... please.

I doubt that happened. If it did, it was probably the OSU fans provoking them. I remember we invited some OSU fans to tailgate with us, and they told us to "Go f**k ourselves." It happened multiple times, although the vitriol spewed by the Buckeyes' fans varied. Classy, OSU.

Wisconsin is a gorgeous state and Madison is a beautiful city. I'm sorry we all can't have the landfill that is Cleveland in our state. Like I said--bitter, bitter fans.

not going to argue with you on an NU board. I think the video posted above says it all about Wisconsin fans.

The fact that UW students like a cheer that includes swear words, that they say to each other, indicts the entire fan base?

I think Nebraska fans are overly sensitive. Come on guys these are words. I haven’t heard anything about any beating or murders. I lived in Omaha for five years until last fall, and I can say it’s really no different that growing up in Madison. There are mostly good and decent people, and a few aholes. I’m not too sure about Lincoln, but I don’t think there’s a line somewhere between Omaha and Lincoln where people change and become ultra moral. What I did hear while living there is that the blue hairs were ruining the experience at Memorial stadium, because they were complaining about the students at the games. I think the blue hairs are the ones complaining about their time in Madison, and to all the fans that are saying they will never come back because they were called names; that exactly what Madison fans want. It’s called home field advantage. Also don’t worry about the penalties. They will go away when the team gets better. They’re not the reason you lost last year or this year. Husker will get better. Everything is cyclical.

I can understand why anyone who was insulted directly by certain people after the game would be offended, but as far as the whole ES-FU or a-hole chants, those wouldn't bother me. Hell, if I were the source of the a-hole chants, I'd think it was hilarious.

Like you said, I'm sure it's the same with any fan base. Get enough alcohol in your system and you turn into an ass no matter what team colors you wear.

Not me. I tend to start hugging random strangers.

I think Nebraska fans are overly sensitive. Come on guys these are words. I haven’t heard anything about any beating or murders. I lived in Omaha for five years until last fall, and I can say it’s really no different that growing up in Madison. There are mostly good and decent people, and a few aholes. I’m not too sure about Lincoln, but I don’t think there’s a line somewhere between Omaha and Lincoln where people change and become ultra moral. What I did hear while living there is that the blue hairs were ruining the experience at Memorial stadium, because they were complaining about the students at the games. I think the blue hairs are the ones complaining about their time in Madison, and to all the fans that are saying they will never come back because they were called names; that exactly what Madison fans want. It’s called home field advantage. Also don’t worry about the penalties. They will go away when the team gets better. They’re not the reason you lost last year or this year. Husker will get better. Everything is cyclical.

I can understand why anyone who was insulted directly by certain people after the game would be offended, but as far as the whole ES-FU or a-hole chants, those wouldn't bother me. Hell, if I were the source of the a-hole chants, I'd think it was hilarious.

Like you said, I'm sure it's the same with any fan base. Get enough alcohol in your system and you turn into an ass no matter what team colors you wear.

Ahh a happy drunk "I love you man"

lol.. if

Lol.. exactly. If Wisconsin was such a great place to live you would think they would all be happy drunks instead of shoutting chants like EAT S**T and F**K YOU

lol.. if

Lol.. exactly. If Wisconsin was such a great place to live you would think they would all be happy drunks instead of shoutting chants like EAT S**T and F**K YOU

It's really not a big deal. It started as taste great -less filling like the old Miller adds and it turned into ES/FU. When they do it, it lasts a very short period of time. I've been there and many fans are having a great time. Including the opposing team. If they weren't I don't think 81,000 would show up.

I think Nebraska fans are overly sensitive. Come on guys these are words. I haven’t heard anything about any beating or murders.

Well, yeah. We save the beatings and murders for when Ohio State is in town. That's also when we go postal on the handicapped people, little kids and grandmothers.

Things escalated quickly in Madison, I mean it really got out of hand. There was a horse and a man on fire. In fact my friend Brick killed a guy.

That police horse probably deserved it. Seriously, those mounties are dicks on game day...

One thing I observed at Mardi Gras. You can pee in the street. Take your clothes off. Be somewhat unruly and the cops may or may not address it. But never, never ever touch a policeman's horse. Some guy smacked the horse on the rear and the policeman whipped the horse around and smacked him with his night stick and then 3 others

pounced on him sending him to the ground and cuffed him. All in the blink of an eye. No warning. Don't mess with the horse. Not kidding.

All fan bases have good and bad fans. Alcohol generally makes it worse. Some people don't help matters and bring it on themselves. I think our fan base may be polite because we have a lot of elderly fans and lots of kids. Just guessing.

I was there last night and I really enjoyed all the Huskers fans I talked to. I didn't see a single thing that I would consider a negative interaction between UW and Neb fans. A little trash-talking? Sure, but nothing that wasn't in the spirit of fun. And it was generally followed by respectful and serious talk about the game, the teams, the campuses, etc. And to be honest, I always asked them how they were enjoying the trip, and no one had a bad word to say. About Madison and the people hear anyway. About the Huskers is a different story.

Yes, UW students have vulgar chants. They've been a tradition for decades now. Those of us who go every week just kind of roll our eyes and ignore it. And as others already said, it's all internally directed and has nothing to do with opposing fans. It's a remnant of the days when the Badgers sucked and students had to entertain themselves during the game. It became tradition. There's been efforts to rein it in over the years, with the predictable effect of increasing it. And if you were there, the ES-FU, over-rated etc chants were entirely confined to the student section.

I've never gone to a road game in the Big Ten or a bowl and not run across some. I'm absolutely sure I'll run across some if I head down to Lincoln next year. But it's a little silly to judge an entire fan base of 80,000 on one or two anecdotes.

Thanks for posting on the board. i would to hear directly from the folks that were at the game. i have heard positive experieences all around.

Things escalated quickly in Madison, I mean it really got out of hand. There was a horse and a man on fire. In fact my friend Brick killed a guy.

This post wins.

IDK, I was shocked to discover no hobos were involved in the action.

LESSON 1.). Also, drinking on state street is social until 11pm. You don't get wasted drunk before then. Because when you do, you irritate all the sober badger fans having a nice evening.

LESSON 4.) We wake up at 8am to start drinking. By gametime, most of us are in the bag. If you want nice polite sendoffs, you're not going to get one. Not because we're bad people, we're just waaaay to drunk to have sportsmanship cross our mind. Despite the alcohol ban, there is still an obscene amount of liquor in the student section during a game. We're not dropping below .2 the entire time (and I'm being generous). Now if you don't remember what it's like to be at a raging party when you're 20-21, I'll remind you. You can't see straight, you don't think, you live in the moment, you make plenty of questionable decisions, and anytime you're told to do something by authorities - you do the exact opposite.

Comon man!

Get your story straight :).

I had my share of whiskey starting at half time myself.

Oh, and

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

I for one had a great experience in Madison. (Minus the actual game, of course.)

Immediately after we arrived, and I mean like 30 seconds after parking in a backyard lot, we were approached by a kindly old woman who told us she was thrilled to have us in Madison, that she hoped we had a great time and were treated well during our stay, and that she was really concerned about the Huskers. (She needn't have worried.) The guy running the lot was ultra competent, even yanking a half soused Badger fan out of his car, parking it into a narrow spot, and telling him that if he showed up wasted his car would be waiting for him in the morning or whenever he came back sober. This guy gave us perfect walking directions both to the stadium and back, and refused to take a $10 tip from us. He said he wanted to be an ambassador for the Badger program. Well, he was. We were impressed.

Walking into the crowded streets of Madison, people were giving us a bit of a hard time, but it was all in good fun. One guy was selling beers for a buck a pop, and he let us know that he would be right there after the game smoking, umm, cigarettes, and we were most welcome to join. Must be something about my appearance...

One Bucky fan asked me if I knew that Martinez was Mexican. I said I hadn't seen the official documentation of blood tests. He laughed, said, "lookit you guys wearing black, adorable. Mexicans don't play football, though." He was actually pretty funny, gave me rocks, said "good luck."

Got the a-hole chant as we walked by a group of young Badger fans, and I honestly thought it was pretty funny. I can see that rubbing some people the wrong way, but I had a few (few?) drinks in me and I thought it was all in good fun. Kinda like being officially baptized in the Camp Randall scene.

As for the game itself...somehow I deluded myself into thinking we were actually going to win. I always approach every season optimistically, until irrefutable evidence arises that verifies concern is warranted. Well...concern is warranted. OSU feels like a must win game now. I finally don't feel hungover anymore. It took three...long...days.